The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any "How To" books for GFX 50R?

gurtch

Anyone know of a third party "how to Book" for the 50R? I find the instruction book that came with it frustrating to try to find things. It does not even have an index. I prefer a hard copy book, but if necessary, I would purchase an "e book".
TIA
Dave in NJ

fotophil

Some of the most informative technical articles pertaining to the Fuji 50 GFX that I have found appear on Jim Kasson's Blog "The Last Word". The Blog has a great subject index so it is easy to find the Fuji Articles.Follow this link: https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/dealing-with-focus-shift-with-native-lenses-on-the-fuji-gfx/

I agree that the Fuji Manual leaves a lot to be desired but there probably isn't enough demand (yet) for a well written third party manual. The soon to be released (hopefully) 100 MP GFX may attract moreusers anddemand for a good manual.

ejpeiker

Almost everything in the book Fuji X Secrets by Rico Pfirstinger also applies to the GFX bodies. The book covers all Fuji cameras but there is very little difference between how they operate and he does point out where the 50S and 50R differ from the smaller cameras.

gurtch

Thanks both. I will try both leads. I turn 82 tomorrow, and maybe that saying about old dogs and new tricks has some truth to it.
Best
Dave

jng

Thanks both. I will try both leads. I turn 82 tomorrow, and maybe that saying about old dogs and new tricks has some truth to it.
Best
Dave
Dave,

You are turning out great images from one of the newest fangled cameras one can get one's hands on, so don't sell yourself short. From what I can tell, the dog still has a few tricks left in him. And as the saying goes, old age and treachery will overcome youth and good intentions (or more seriously, experience counts for a lot).

Happy birthday and congratulations on turning 82 years young!

John

k-hawinkler

Best
Dave
Happy Birthday Dave.
Photography will keep you young. :thumbs:

I took up photography a decade ago when I retired.
Counting on that it will keep my brain cells exercised.:thumbs:

D&A

Dave,

All one has to do is look back on past posting of yours, to see your motivation, drive, passion and most of all, your creative talents in pursuit of photographic imagery. That alone is would be admirable of anyone, but when those read of the back stories of your confronting adversity and times that would test anyone's resolve, you came through with flying colors again and again. It gets a bit harder for all of us as we get older, but the challenges and ultimate successes make it all worth while. Keep pursuing your passions as best as you can and cherish and enjoy your Birthday celebration with those you love. Happy Birthday Dave!

Dave (D&A)

David Schneider

Dave,

Just today I was looking around for a "how to" for the GFX50R. Watched a lot of YouTube videos that didn't help me.

I have Rico Pfistringer's "Fuji X Secrets" and it is helpful and recommended. It comes hard cover and/or eBook.

I'm still tinkering with the placement of the Fn buttons. Rico goes over reasons to use some Fn functions, but I find the layout of the GFX50R makes the choices a bit of a challenge. I'm trying to have one layout that works for me in my studio and for when I travel or do personal photography. I've spent a fair amount of time tinkering with Fn placement and would have benefited if there was a "how to" which gave some reasons for and examples of GFX50R Fn locations.

I did RTFM, but I'm sure there are things I still don't fully understand even though I've been using a Fuji X in one form or another since 2012.

Happy Birthday.

David in NJ

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The biggest challenge with RTFM is that it comes in multiple installments with the new feature updates having their own addendums. That said, it’s a great problem to have - you listening CaNikSony?

Knorp

The biggest challenge with RTFM is that it comes in multiple installments with the new feature updates having their own addendums. That said, it’s a great problem to have - you listening CaNikSony?
That's why I'd recommend the online (html) version that comes including new features/addendums and index ...

ejpeiker

That second link is very good, the first one is a bit old as several FW updates since then have changed the character of the camera quite a bit since it was written. The only thing I would say on the second link is set Highlight Tone to -2 not -1 to get an RGB histogram that is reasonably close to what is actually recorded in the RAW file. With a -1 setting you are leaving a bit of dynamic range on the table if you expose to the right. At -1 it's more like shooting a camera with zebras or blinkies set to go off at 90% of pixel saturation - it will definitely protect the highlights but it is not an accurate representation of when any of the color channels saturate.

gurtch

Thanks all. I ordered the Fuji X Secrets book, it should arrive today (Friday, 2/22). Something as simple and basic as setting the camera to manual focus, is a problem.....I still cannot see how to do it! My lenses have no AF/MF switch, nor does the body. If I have a native lens mounted, push the shutter half way, hold it there and turn the lens focus ring, it DOES manual focus. I want to put the camera on a tripod, with cable release, set it to manual focus, and take bricked exposures, either to use as is, or combine with HDR. I feel like an idiot....I must have overlooked something obvious.
Thanks again
Dave in NJ
Www.modernpictorials.com
P.s.-------what is RTFM?

gurtch

Thanks all. I ordered the Fuji X Secrets book, it should arrive today (Friday, 2/22). Something as simple and basic as setting the camera to manual focus, is a problem.....I still cannot see how to do it! My lenses have no AF/MF switch, nor does the body. If I have a native lens mounted, push the shutter half way, hold it there and turn the lens focus ring, it DOES manual focus. I want to put the camera on a tripod, with cable release, set it to manual focus, and take bricked exposures, either to use as is, or combine with HDR. I feel like an idiot....I must have overlooked something obvious.
Thanks again
Dave in NJ
Www.modernpictorials.com
P.s.-------what is RTFM?
The auto correct put in above "bricked exposures", I meant "bracketed exposures". Sorry

SrMphoto

Thanks again
Dave in NJ
Www.modernpictorials.com
P.s.-------what is RTFM?
RTFM mean "read the 'bloody' manual", typically referring to the fact that much of the information is (well hidden) in the manufacturer's manual.

The switch for focus modes is on the back of the camera, not on the lens. It has three modes:
C - Continuous AF
S - Single AF
M - Manual focus

Some tips:
- Use My Menu to populate with frequently used commands
- Use Shutter Type EF/EFCS to reduce potential shutter shock image degradation.
- If you shoot RAW and fine JPG, you can zoom in much more when reviewing image than if you shoot only in RAW (I am not sure if the inconvenience of having both JPG and RAW files is worth it)

Enjoy your camera.

k-hawinkler

RTFM mean "read the 'bloody' manual", typically referring to the fact that much of the information is (well hidden) in the manufacturer's manual.

The switch for focus modes is on the back of the camera, not on the lens. It has three modes:
C - Continuous AF
S - Single AF
M - Manual focus

Some tips:
- Use My Menu to populate with frequently used commands
- Use Shutter Type EF/EFCS to reduce potential shutter shock image degradation.
- If you shoot RAW and fine JPG, you can zoom in much more when reviewing image than if you shoot only in RAW (I am not sure if the inconvenience of having both JPG and RAW files is worth it)

Enjoy your camera.
Thanks for the excellent pointers.
When Bracketing on tripod I use the electronic shutter without delay.
Magnified view by pushing in the back wheel IIRC.

gurtch

Wow....talk about embarrassing. It was set to S, so I must have done it, and later forgot about it and have been searching through the menues to change it. It is a great camera. Remember when we took great pictures and the only thing on my cameras ( original Asahi Pentax model K, Leica M2, and Hasselbld 500C) were shutter speed dial, and aperature ring on the lens. Two settings!
Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tbh once I’ve set up my camera as I like to use it I pretty much forget what settings I’d set to make it work that way. Once that’s done I’m normally shooting and changing only the shutter/iso/aperture and using back button focus with the occasional change of drive mode for focus bracket or accessing favorites from the Q menu.

The challenge is when you reset everything and have to recall how you set it up (or try to use someone else’s non customized camera). :facesmack: