The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New X1D 135mm Lens + TC

hcubell

I generally don't do lens reviews, as such, but I thought I would drop a comment here about an amazing lens "system" that I have been awaiting for quite some time and that finally arrived last week from Hasselblad. The 135mm XCD lens and the dedicated 1.7x teleconverter that converts the lens to a 240mm lens. The lens itself is somewhat smaller and lighter than I expected. The TC is extremely small and light. Hasselblad is shipping the the TC with a dedicated Tripod Collar that attaches to the TC. (I put a RRS plate on the Tripod Collar.) For me, the design of the 135mm with a dedicated TC is brilliant, as I am obsessed at this point in minimizing the size and weight of my camera equipment, but without making too many compromises on image quality. Here, I have essentially a medium telephoto and a longish telephoto in a package that is barely bigger than the one medium telephoto. Of course, if the image quality involved compromise, the savings in size and weight would probably not be worth it to me. Well, I shot with the 135mm lens last weekend with and without the TC, and I was astonished at the image quality I was seeing when I loaded the files and reviewed them at 100% on my computer, even on shots at f/16 where I would have expected diffraction to have been a problem. The level of exceptional detail extended all of the way into the corners. For anyone who has an X1D, this lens "system" is highly recommended.
N.B. This should not be construed in any way as hype for the X1D over the GFX. I have never shot with the GFX 120mm lens, but it is also supposed to be an amazing lens. We are very fortunate to have these great choices.
I will upload a few photographs as soon as I have the chance.

Here is the 135mm lens mounted on theX1D:
IMG_3590.jpg

Here is photo of the TC with the Tripod Collar:
IMG_3596.jpg

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Thanks for sharing Howard. Haven't seen too many of these "out in the wild" (or "out on the internet" rather) to date, good to hear that a) they're shipping and b) that it seems to be living up to or exceeding expectations.

SrMphoto

Thank you for the post, Howard. I am also very happy with the 135 + 1.7 TC. On the tripod collar, I have mounted RRS BQDS plate. It is quite small, has an anti-twist flange and a QD socket.

XCD 135mm is recognized by Lightroom and distortion correction can be applied.

I am quite happy with my XCD lenses range: 21mm, 30mm, 45mm, 90mm, 135mm, 230mm (135 + 1.7TC).

Christopher

Question, the tripod mount isn’t Arca Swiss is it? I think see your Arca „rail“ mounted to it, correct? I wish companies would finally use the Arca mount as base. This goes for all manufacturers.

hcubell

Question, the tripod mount isn’t Arca Swiss is it? I think see your Arca „rail“ mounted to it, correct? I wish companies would finally use the Arca mount as base. This goes for all manufacturers.
Right, the base of the Tripod Collar is not Arca Swiss compatible. I had to screw a little RRS plate to it so I could use it with my AS P0 Hybrid head. Not sure why Hasselblad doesn’t use AS compatible mounts but I recall its the same with several Sony and Nikon zooms I had.

Christopher

Right, the base of the Tripod Collar is not Arca Swiss compatible. I had to screw a little RRS plate to it so I could use it with my AS P0 Hybrid head. Not sure why Hasselblad doesn’t use AS compatible mounts but I recall its the same with several Sony and Nikon zooms I had.
Same with Fuji, Phase, Leica, Canon etc...

Paratom

Thank you for your comments about the lens. Do you mind to post some images taken with the lens? For which application you plan to use it?
Tom

tcdeveau

One reason is that they developed their own tripod coupling solution for the H-system that they still try and market and sell. The tripod collar is compatible with the mount below, which of course is not compatible with any other mount system AFAIK:

https://store.hasselblad.com/products/tripod-quick-coupling-h?from=accessories

Whatever the reason, whether because they have their own system, adopting the AS standard would require a license for IP, or stubbornness, it definitely is annoying.

I wonder if the ppl.de collar is compatible with the converter? It is AS compatible from what I remember

hcubell

One reason is that they developed their own tripod coupling solution for the H-system that they still try and market and sell. The tripod collar is compatible with the mount below, which of course is not compatible with any other mount system AFAIK:

https://store.hasselblad.com/products/tripod-quick-coupling-h?from=accessories

Whatever the reason, whether because they have their own system, adopting the AS standard would require a license for IP, or stubbornness, it definitely is annoying.

I wonder if the ppl.de collar is compatible with the converter? It is AS compatible from what I remember
Yes, the ppl collar is compatible with the TC. However, the ppl collar is also not AS compatible. Too narrow.

jng

...the ppl collar is also not AS compatible. Too narrow.
I have no issue clamping down on the foot of the ppl collar. Perhaps this is an issue with the older generation RRS lever-release clamps that don't self-adjust to plates with slightly differing widths? I'll double check this when I get home this evening.

John

tcdeveau

I have no issue clamping down on the foot of the ppl collar. Perhaps this is an issue with the older generation RRS lever-release clamps that don't self-adjust to plates with slightly differing widths? I'll double check this when I get home this evening.

John
I'll double check mine too.

I have a BH-55 and a BH-40 with a panning clamp. If I remember correctly, the ppl.de collar clamped fine on one setup, but was too narrow on the other one...I just can't remember which one was which.

sog1927

Well that's probably because they developed the system for the 500C in 1957 - 3 years before Arca was founded (although they've modified it over time). I didn't switch to Arca until I got the X1D.

At least I *think* it was for the 500C - I don't know if the 1000F and 1600F had the system.

jng

OK, I just checked and confirmed Howard and TC's experiences: the ppl collar's foot is just a bit narrow and slips in all of my RRS lever-release clamps (both old "yin-yang" an new "diamond" logo versions). There's still quite a bit of friction and it would take a deliberate effort to push it out of the clamp, but if one wants a rock-solid connection a screw-type clamp (or the adjustable A/S clamp) would need to be used. So, at the moment I am glad that I never replaced the top clamp of my A/S L60 mini-cube with an RRS lever-release clamp.

John

P.S. Terrific image, Howard. Please keep 'em coming!

Yes, the ppl collar is compatible with the TC. However, the ppl collar is also not AS compatible. Too narrow.

Last edited:

hcubell

Here is a photograph taken with the XCD 135mm at f/8. Two friends I found in the woods.

7180405-ME-Full-JPEG.jpg

And here is a 100% crop:

7180405-100%-JPEG-Crop.jpg

hcubell

Here is a sample of the XCD 135mm with the 1.7x TC (230mm) at f/11. Two image vertical stitch. Pretty remarkable lens "system. I compared it to the HC 210, and the XCD + TC is a bit better in the center and significantly better in the corners.

7180205-Pano-ME.jpg

hcubell

Another comparison of the XCD 135mm + TC v. the HC 210mm with 100% crops:

B_7180463-Full.jpg

Lower left crop from HC 210mm:

B_7180457-LL-Crop.jpg

Lower left crop from XCD 135mm + TC:

B_7180463-LL-Crop.jpg

Lower right crop from HC 210mm:

B_7180457-Crop.jpg

Lower right crop from XCD 135mm + TC:

B_7180463-Crop.jpg