The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA

TimWright

I was wondering if anyone here was still using the TC. I saw some old threads where even Guy was using one. I am interested in purchasing one and was wondering if there are any good dealers around that have stock.

Thanks

C

carbonmetrictree

+1 for Foto Care (Jeff Hirsch) - His service is top notch. Before Foto Care, I ordered a TC with another company and it took two months to receive a TC. I now can receive parts and lenses without worry, as it should be.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
here Tim

We are located at
Foto Care Ltd., 136 W. 21st Street, NY, NY 10011

Our Store Hours are:
Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm
Saturday, 9:00am to 4:00pm [NEW!!]

You can reach us by
Phone: 212-741-2990
Fax: 212-741-3217
Email: [email protected]

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Alpa has phenomenal build quality and very small tolerances and they look REALLY sexy.

However they are a full notch in pricing above anything else in that class. If you haven't done so already demo a Cambo Wide Compact body. It has very good build quality, small tolerances, and looks sexy. I don't have the price catalog handy, and I'm walking out for the day, but in general Alpa carries a very high price premium compared to the Cambo. By no means am I saying the price premium isn't worth it; that is a personal decision. I'm just saying you shouldn't buy the Alpa until you've seen the Cambo.

Full disclosure: we are a Cambo dealer and are not an Alpa dealer

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

TimWright

Thanks for all the info. I have contacted a couple of the resellers to get prices. Need to unload the 1DSMKIII kit before I purchase.

P

parsnip_lee

I agree with Doug, while the Alpa is an incredibly sexy camera, the price premium just doesnt seem worth it. I was on the market for an Alpa setup, but in the end opted for the Cambo Wide RS due to what I felt were nearly identical build quality, operation and lens selection.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I agree with Doug, while the Alpa is an incredibly sexy camera, the price premium just doesnt seem worth it. I was on the market for an Alpa setup, but in the end opted for the Cambo Wide RS due to what I felt were nearly identical build quality, operation and lens selection.

I reiterate all of the above: the Alpa is lovely but overpriced and the Cambo range is great. I have a Wide DS and will probably keep the Schneider 35XL I have, trade the WDS body for an RS for travel use and add the little Cambo Compact with Rodenstock 28 digaron... I might even then sell all my Phamiya kit (645III and various glass) and use a real SLR for that sort of work and reserve the Phase back for use only on the Cambo setups. One thing's for sure, travel will be lighter!

Tim

Last edited:

PeterA

The TC looks like the 12WA above - without the rosewood handles these are extra - incidentally the 12SWA has shift capability for extra $s. Each 12 series body ( I can also vouch for the MAX ) is the best made camera 'frame' you can buy - for one simple reason - it is machined to very high tolerances and comes with shims for various digi backs - after using Leaf75, P45+ and H3d11-39 , I have never needed to use any shims.

The reason to buy an Alpa or many of its imitators is the ability to use Schneider and Rodenstock digi specked copal shuttered lenses. The internet sized Jpeg doesnt do justice to the superior resolution, contrast and colour these deliver. An added benefit is that the cameras are very hand holdable at insane low shutter speeds. In use of course the shutter has minimal vibration and is very quiet. If you ever envision doing any 'reportage' or editorial type work - street shooting for example - do yourself a favour and pay the extra for a 12WA or 12SWA.

I used to own both 24 and 35 in Schneider. I sold the 24 and am saving for the Rodensock 23mm. The Schneider 35 is outstanding.

i would hesitate to recommend anything longer than 47mm - remember critical focus is a guesstimate ( albeit helped by the DOF markings as well as extreme DOF that these extreme wides deliver)

For longer work teh Sinar arTec ( shift and tilt ) bult in as well as sliding back with focussing glass and magnifier loupe built in takes over wher Alpa leaves off. I am sure in due course Alpa will deliver its won version - however the price will be astronomical - although the benefit will be you can use same set of lenses in same helical mounts.

Everything Alpa does is modular and can be used from system to system.

The Cambos are butt ugly compared to the Alpa - if you get any utility or joy from using beautifully made gear - you will have forgotten the price differential between Alpa as soon as you own one. If you are a genuine shooter - you wil lnever sell it either.

If you shoot Phase backs the for sale section has a fantastic 12SWA kit with special rosewood grips and Phase back modified trigger handles at a great price.

My advice - pay the extra for a 12SWA - the one with shift an go for a Schneider 35 or a Rodenstock 28 for a fantastic one lens kit. Also add a RRS rail system for stitiching panoramas and establishing the nodal point. If you are into near and far objects in focus ala traditional LF photography - these accessories will make a big difference to getting the stitched shot perfect.

Hope this helps
Pete

David K

Workshop Member
Peter, that image gives new meaning to the NWS acronym... Not Wallet Safe. Beautiful kit, really a work of art.

jdbfreeheel

As a counterpoint, I love my Horseman SWDII with Rodenstock 35. Sure, it's absolutely not as sexy as the Alpa or the Cambos, but instead has a more "Japanese" clean utility style to it. Hand-holdable (in a pinch), incredibly solid, and just plain beautiful in a different way than the European competitors.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Peter, if you get robbed of that gorgeous camera/tripod/cube setup (and I get caught) the judge will tell you that you just shouldn't have posted that shot. You really shouldn't. You are the Marie Antoinette of the camera world...

TimWright

I decided on the Alpa TC with a 60mm lens and film back. It seemed to best suit what I wanted. I will probably add at least one other lens down the road and a digital back at some point. Haven't shot film in a few years and no longer have a darkroom but will probably get the basics to process BW and maybe chromes then have scans done. Luckily I have a couple friends shooting film who are up on all the latest emulsions and workflow. Thanks again for all the info.

PeterA

Peter, that image gives new meaning to the NWS acronym... Not Wallet Safe. Beautiful kit, really a work of art.
Everything takes time to get together.

I bought the tripod from David K, because the Reiss looked beautiful. After thinking about it for three years ( literally) I decided to take the plunge on the 'Cube' - only because it looked beautiful. I thought about the utility of the Alpa for a couple of years before deciding on it - again it looked beautiful. A side bonus is the fact that all three also typify excellence as far as usability goes. This is often the case with well designed and manufactured things.

Each of thee items will stand the test of time - and God willing I will be able to pass it on to perhaps a grandchild in future years. I am sure the utility will not have diminished. How many things made can we say that about these days?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

The TC looks like the 12WA above -

Peter,

Every time I see this picture I have to hide the monitor from my TC...an Arca Cube and Ries. It would be so jealous...I mean I relegate it to carbon fiber and occasionally a monopod with a swivel and RRS quick release. I must treat it better.

I still need to answer your question about platinum/palladium...working though my thoughts on it still.

I know you will enjoy your new extensions tubes for the HC...here is a 52 and 13 combo - handheld:

Wish you and your family a wonderful Easter.

with regards,

Bob

Last edited:

PeterA

Lovely photo Bob. Yes the more I compare the H Hasselblad against other stuff I own and am testing - the more apparent it becomes to me that it is by far the best integrated DSLR type MF system I have come across. I am looking at buying a 300 now and maybe a 50 - to complete the system - the HTS looks promising.

Thanks and Happy Easter to you and yours.

Pete