The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA

S

smei_ch

I decided on the Alpa TC with a 60mm lens and film back. It seemed to best suit what I wanted. I will probably add at least one other lens down the road and a digital back at some point. Haven't shot film in a few years and no longer have a darkroom but will probably get the basics to process BW and maybe chromes then have scans done. Luckily I have a couple friends shooting film who are up on all the latest emulsions and workflow. Thanks again for all the info.

There is no 60mm lens that even barely covers 6x7/6x9 ?? The available lenses have image circles of 60 and 70mm...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
There is no 60mm lens that even barely covers 6x7/6x9 ?? The available lenses have image circles of 60 and 70mm...
Actually the image circle of the Schneider 72 Digitar is adequate for 6x7 with IC at 90.

56*69.5 56 69.5 89 1.24 Mamiya/Horseman/ArcaSwiss 6x7
56*72 56 72 91 1.29 ALPA/Linhof 6x7
42*84 42 84 94 2.00 Scan Crop 1:2 (from 6x9)
56*76 56 76 94 1.36 Mamiya 6x8
56*82 56 82 99 1.46 Horsemann/ArcaSwiss 6x9
56*84 56 84 101 1.50 ALPA/Linhof 6x9

Fourth column is IC requirement for the listed formats. Fifth is aspect ratio.

Bob

TimWright

Looks like you are right on the 60 not working with film. I am surprised they didn't mention that when I was ordering. I asked for a lens that would be roughly a 28 in 35mm terms. I will contact them to straighten it out.
Thanks, it would have been annoying to have found this out later.

Ben Rubinstein

Can you use one of these new tiny netbooks to shoot tethered with these cameras if only for checking focus? Some sort of bracket arrangement which attaches to the tripod leg and holds the mini laptop and suddenly the whole thing is a lot more versatile. Of course it would slow things down but not that much more than using a loupe with the relatively tiny ground glass. That said, not having tilt/swing on these cameras anyway really does put them in the realm of the WA lens, I understand these digitar lenses suffer very badly from diffraction when stopping down past f16.

carstenw

I asked that once, but it was pointed out to me that the netbook will need firewire, something which none have that I know of.

Paratom

..... If you ever envision doing any 'reportage' or editorial type work - street shooting for example - do yourself a favour and pay the extra for a 12WA or 12SWA.
.....Pete
Pete,
would be the compactness of the TC be just for reportage work be an advantage? I could see to prefer the SWA if one wants shift, but what advantage would a SW give you compared to a TC?
Do you use your ALpa handhold too? If not, where would you see an advantage compared to the Artec?
Thanks, Tom

micek

I had an Alpa TC which I sold to buy a SWA. The weight difference between both cameras is negligible, the handles on the SWA are very comfortable whereas the tiny handle on the TC -coupled with the weight of a digital back- becomes uncomfortable if you are shooting hand held for a period of time. The SWA offers vertical shift as well, and, to top it all, it is a camera one does not hold but fondle.

PeterA

Hi Tom,

As stated above the handles make a difference - I understand that teh thing looks difficult to hold in a pic - but once you have one in your hand you will see that they are wuite ergonomic. The TC is just too small for hand holding in comfort. On a triopd no difference,.

Paratom

Thanks Pete,
Seems the SWA would be the better camera for me than.
I am tempted by either an Alpa (probably SWA) or an Artec, the SWA would allow me handholding and more mobility, the Artec more control (sliding adapter with groundglass and also all kinds of movements).
However I still doubt a little bit that a 6x6 groundglass allows as precise and nice control as larger format.
I have to save further money first anyways ;( but this is difficult decision.

Hi Tom,

As stated above the handles make a difference - I understand that teh thing looks difficult to hold in a pic - but once you have one in your hand you will see that they are wuite ergonomic. The TC is just too small for hand holding in comfort. On a triopd no difference,.

PeterA

No worries Tashley - I am chickening out on the arTec (for now) - till I have tried the HTS on my blad kit - I am hoping the HTS will do for landscapes and some architectural shooting I have in mind - what the arTec would do at twice the price plus lenses. For still life work teh HTS will be better anyway ...The Alpa SWA is perfect if you don't need tilt.

Thanks Pete,
Seems the SWA would be the better camera for me than.
I am tempted by either an Alpa (probably SWA) or an Artec, the SWA would allow me handholding and more mobility, the Artec more control (sliding adapter with groundglass and also all kinds of movements).
However I still doubt a little bit that a 6x6 groundglass allows as precise and nice control as larger format.
I have to save further money first anyways ;( but this is difficult decision.

woodyspedden

Peter

I just got my used 300mm for the H3DII-39 and could not be happier. It is a big mother of a lens but the results are worth it. I even took a test shot in my house of a lens i just happened to have lying around. I was about seven or eight feet away, just at the minimum focus distance. I processed this in Phocus 1.1.3 and was impressed with the results. Of course this is not the intended use for the 300 and the subject is infinitely boring but it showed me what the lens could do close up and that was the intention.

Best

Woody

PeterA

Thanks Woody looks pretty sharp to me... - I am on the hunt for one myself - wondering how good it is with the 1.7X - would be interested in seeing any examples of a shot with the 300 and the 1.7X on it !