The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 4.7 just released

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi All,

How do you install this upgrade on a PC?

If I ask it to upgrade the old program, it fails and says the old files can't be replaced. If I try to uninstall the old one first, there is still a Phase One folder that has a captureone process.exe file that cannot be deleted and the new install fails, as it can't read over the old file.

The result is that the old program can't run and I can't install 4.7, so I'm back to ACR.

How do I delete the old Phase one folder and start over?

Thanks, steve
Removing 4 from XP/Vista (useful prior to reinstalling if something has gone wrong and capture one is screwed up).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: One for Guy

Appears to be undocumented but Guy, finally the sharpness falloff slider in lens correction works for the 28D... just as I was getting more to grips with Helicon, too!
Not undocumented, just very poorly documented.

There are many incremental improvements to the Lens Correction tab.

Light falloff is now available even on unmapped lenses, sharpness correction has been added to the 28mm. Etc etc.

Even I don't have a full list.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: One for Guy

Appears to be undocumented but Guy, finally the sharpness falloff slider in lens correction works for the 28D... just as I was getting more to grips with Helicon, too!

Really I have not checked but that is great news for sure. I was really hoping they would get to this.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One without sharpening and one with. Not the best image for this still soft in the extreme corner but much better , need to play more

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've been playing with some shots I took today for the purpose and in some respects the results are better than Helicon. For me they make a whole bunch of marginal shots more likely to be used and they make it more likely that I'll keep and use the 28D but there are some provisos:

1) it's tempting to go too far with it so post-making these following examples I learned to view the file at 75% not 100% when choosing the sharpness falloff level. This is equivalent on my system to estimating a print nearly 60" wide.
2) for shots at F16 where you want the ground bottom left and right of a shot to be in focus from a normal height tripod, and you want infinity in focus too, you need less sharpening if you pull focus forward a tad on the lens. On mine about a third of the way back from infinity towards 1.5 metres does it.
3) the cost of the extra sharpening is, as you would expect, more noise/grain (and furthermore a grain differential across the frame which is subtly not quite right) so the technique is best applied to lower ISO shots. I have found that about the best balance of sharpness and grain for me is usually nearer 200% than the full 250.
4) further benefits (and slightly less need for the slider!) are to be had by applying it to a distortion-corrected image, because that applies a slight crop of the corners in any event, losing the weakest bits.

I have tried it on some old shots and it is far better at saving those that have had their focus pulled slightly forward rather than those focussed at infinity, which is where this lens tends to place focus in shots with subject centrally at any distance other than under its nose.

Here are three examples from today: they are from the bottom left of the frame. The first is a natural shot with focus pulled very slightly forward of infinity. The second is a Helicon from four shots at intervals of focus from infinity to just under 1.5 metres. The third is the first shot but treated with sharpness falloff to 250%. It looks messy here because I've had to compress the JPEG for upload and this has really exaggerated the grain. As a tiff onscreen it looks a little more grainy than the Helicon version but very acceptable.

View attachment 14461

View attachment 14463

View attachment 14462

Finally for reference the whole scene... which was shot at ISO50 MUP on a tripod with F16 at 1/50th.
View attachment 14464

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
i like the helicon shot

the third shop looks oversharpened, look at the halos around the leaves and the black line around the ls of the blue gizmo

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Doug -

In ver. 4.6 the Exposure Compensation Slider went +/- 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, etc.
In ver. 4.7 the Exposure Compensation Slider now goes +/- 0.10, 0.20, 0.30, 0.40, etc.
Correct (or is my machine wacky - Windows)?

What happens to older saved Exposure Compensation settings (from previous versions) when opened in 4.7 - for example, if the saved setting was +0.15 does it convert to +0.10 or +0.20 when opened in 4.7?

tashley

Subscriber Member
i like the helicon shot

the third shop looks oversharpened, look at the halos around the leaves and the black line around the ls of the blue gizmo
I agree but this is caused by the JPEGing process to get them on here at an acceptable file size: when viewed in LR at 100% on screen (with variants processed from C1) the 'sharpness falloff adjusted version' actually looks a littl better than the helicon version if a little grainier.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Charlie:

You can still manually enter the 1/20th stop (.05) increments, but the arrow toggle moves them in 1/10th stop increments. I do not have any old saved files at hand that I know I saved at x.y5 comp that I can confirm this with, but I suspect it will open at the same setting 4.7 since 4.7 allows it ;)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Jack - I had tried manually entering the values on my Windows machine but the .05 increments don't stick and it rounds up to the next value. Not a big deal,

S

selsoe

Another cool new feature is <ctrl> click when you're zoomed in - it brings up a mini version of the Navigator window, in which you can move the current view around on top of the image. Very slick.

Cheers, -Peter
He he, that's actually not new, it's just sort of secret. It's been there since 4.0 I think. :)

PeterL

Well - there you go. I thought it was new, but I've certainly not seen it documented anywhere.

Cheers, -Peter