Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capture One 4.7 just released

Post Thanks / Like

Capture One 4.7 just released

Phase One just released Capture One 4.7 today. There are some much anticipated improvements with the new release. Here is a quick list of some of the additions to the new version:

1. Added tethered support (Pro version) for Canon 5D Mk II and Nikon D3X
    2. Newly designed file format - (.eip new file extension) allows packaging of Phase One files along with adjustments settings applied to the RAW (with no changes to the original RAW).
    3. Support for JPEG and Tiff flies as 'Input' files - v4.7 will allow you to adjust JPEG and TIFFs similar to RAWs.

You can download v4.7 from Phase One's web site:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 4.7 just released

Downloading it now. Will report
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris you have a full list of improvements
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

The new file extension is big. It was much needed. I'm glad Phase added it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Explanation of EIP (the new format).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Explanation of EIP (the new format).
    Thanks Doug. I guess I misunderstood. (And it makes sense, 'cuz I was referring to the native output from the back, and that's a firmware issue I suppose.) I was hoping that the Phase RAWs could be called something other than .tif for non-tethered shooting.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Thanks Doug. I guess I misunderstood. (And it makes sense, 'cuz I was referring to the native output from the back, and that's a firmware issue I suppose.) I was hoping that the Phase RAWs could be called something other than .tif for non-tethered shooting.
    You can select IIQ or TIF as the file extension for the "native output" of the P65+ and all future backs. The former is less prone to be confused with processed tiffs while the later is able to be opened by programs such as Photoshop or Lightroom.

It is only the file extension however. You can rename Photo_1.IIQ to Photo_1.TIF and open it in Photoshop.

Long term I would expect Adobe Camera Raw to start recognizing IIQ as the same as TIF, but I have no inside information on if/when that will happen.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loaded and installed in a snap here and running fine so far!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

- default keyboard shortcuts now include + - * used for tagging green, yellow, red to match the convention established in 3.X
    - keyboard arrow "bumps" for any adjustments; you can now use apple-Left, or apple-Right to change between images and change the exposure, contrast etc with up and down
    - allowing JPGs and TIFFs as inputs so that if you're shooting JPG for speed on a Canon tethered you can still make minor adjustments and make web contact sheets using those assets
    - tethered support for the D3X and 5DII
    - exclusion of the rating and color tag from the "copy from primary" next capture adjustments so tagging is not included in incoming images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds trivial but I noticed immediately the selection white box around the frame you pick is much brighter. This is very good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay this got faster. Not sure what is going on under the hood but I have been testing my new laptop with different drives and such for speed and especially in C1 because that is my main area of concern. My test includes processing 10 P45 plus files at full res. and the best time I just got so far with the current config. with two SSD drives running Raid 0 was 4:35. I just got 3:40 with 4.7. Jack and Bob please try your test again. Want to make sure my numbers are not bogus and see if you guy's picked up time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

- keyboard arrow "bumps" for any adjustments; you can now use apple-Left, or apple-Right to change between images and change the exposure, contrast etc with up and down

Hmmm I can't get the exposure and contrast to work on up and down arrow keys. I love this idea though. Talk to me Doug, what am I missing here or what tab

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

re: keyboard arrows: I'll write up a step-by-step and post it to the blog... give me a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...k-adjustments/ for full article.

Summary:

1. Select the first raw by clicking on it’s thumbnail
    2. Go to the adjustment in question and place your cursor within the text entry box for that adjustment.
    3. Use the up and down keys to bump that adjustment up or down.
    4. Use Apple-Left and Apple-Right to move to the next or previous image.

Note that you can leave the Apple key depressed while you push up and down to reduce the number of total keystrokes involved.

Do this for a couple minutes and pretty soon your fingers will train yourself and you can adjust upwards of a frame per second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean you have to click in the number box on the right. Cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

whoa . Try this you can actually use the Tab key to move down the columns. Now this is even better than hit up or down keys

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug a suggestion to pass on. When you tab the slider or box lights up in white it would be nice if it lit up in like green so it is easy to identify instead of white. This way it is a lot easier to see where you are. And only tab to a slider and/or box and leave out the title bar. Try it and you will see what I mean

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a good suggestion Guy!

Hope you don't mind I updated the instructions to include your tab tip (gave you credit and a link)! http://www.captureintegration.com/20...k-adjustments/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No that is great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this will sound trivial to most, but the fact we can now use C1 to edit jpegs directly is pretty dang cool!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure is when working on the fly a nice feature to have say goodbye to Bridge

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . or when someone gives you a JPEG or TIFF file that you have to fix up a bit, nice to be able to do that in C1 now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The further I get away from using Photoshop the better as I can work my files in C1 from Raw to final this becomes very important. This is a added benefit to that end

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, don't remember what my other time was, but just ran 10 P45+ files at full rez 16-bit output and it took 1:22 on my desktop box.

~~~

Doug... I like the improvements, but why can't they get the silly little annoyances fixed? First off, it still counts wrong on a batch process (everything is 1) and we still cannot set any defaults except for sharpening and noise reduction.
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Doug... I like the improvements, but why can't they get the silly little annoyances fixed? First off, it still counts wrong on a batch process (everything is 1) and we still cannot set any defaults except for sharpening and noise reduction.
    Yeah, the batch process counter being wrong still is REALLY annoying. There is no point in having a counter if it only ever indicates 1... 1... 1... 1...

parsnip_lee

...Or the zoom in live preview still being all kinds of wonky. I would think they would focus on the problems in the current version before adding new features.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi All,

How do you install this upgrade on a PC?

If I ask it to upgrade the old program, it fails and says the old files can't be replaced. If I try to uninstall the old one first, there is still a Phase One folder that has a captureone process.exe file that cannot be deleted and the new install fails, as it can't read over the old file.

The result is that the old program can't run and I can't install 4.7, so I'm back to ACR.

How do I delete the old Phase one folder and start over?

Thanks, steve

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this consume one upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

V3,xx to 4.xx is one upgrade but 4.xx to 4.7 is not counted as a major upgrade

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another cool new feature is <ctrl> click when you're zoomed in - it brings up a mini version of the Navigator window, in which you can move the current view around on top of the image. Very slick.

Cheers, -Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few questions from someone who has only ever used ACR/LR. Can you set up a default reciepe to be applied as default to all images? Are there local adjustments?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben:

There are no local edtis, and as of now, you cannot set defaults other than for sharpening and noise reduction. You can however add "presets" but of course have to select them from a drop-down menu. However, you can save multiple recipes which can be individually applied to a single file on output giving you multiple versions of any single capture. Finally, you can easily apply a set of adjustments you made on one file, to as many other files as you want, singly or en-mass.

Hope that helps,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

What I would love to see and I wrote about on the Phase forum is customization of the Main tabs (Phase calls them the Tool Tabs) just like the tool bar. For example I don't shoot tethered so I have no need for the Camera tab to be out front. let me move it to the back or get rid of it altogether. Likewise I now have all my exposure adjustments under my Q tab so no longer any need for that. And if I want to create a custom Tab I probably want that out front and not buried to the back.

Been out of town so haven't tried 4.7 yet. Will later today.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I downloaded a trial version. Why are the images so much brighter on screen in C1 than PS? (ACR is perfect), also the canon RAW's come up far darker than either ACR or the in camera histogram/image appears. To be honest after playing with it for a couple of hours, I think I'm going to stick with ACR and my custom colour profiles made with the DNG Profile Editor.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    What I would love to see and I wrote about on the Phase forum is customization of the Main tabs (Phase calls them the Tool Tabs) just like the tool bar. For example I don't shoot tethered so I have no need for the Camera tab to be out front. let me move it to the back or get rid of it altogether. Likewise I now have all my exposure adjustments under my Q tab so no longer any need for that. And if I want to create a custom Tab I probably want that out front and not buried to the back.

Been out of town so haven't tried 4.7 yet. Will later today.
    Just like this on one tab I can add as many options as i want and also move them around. What this gives me is i don't have to jump between tabs .I can work only this one and have everything I need right on screen. C1 takes some time to learn but in the end it still is my favorite raw processor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I downloaded a trial version. Why are the images so much brighter on screen in C1 than PS? (ACR is perfect), also the canon RAW's come up far darker than either ACR or the in camera histogram/image appears. To be honest after playing with it for a couple of hours, I think I'm going to stick with ACR and my custom colour profiles made with the DNG Profile Editor.
    Ben,

In the process tab is a place to set your output profile; ie Adobe RGB or ProfotoRGB, etc. Once you do that, things should look right. You can also proof by going to View>Proof Profile and selecting the appropriate profile you want to proof to.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just like this on one tab I can add as many options as i want and also move them around. What this gives me is i don't have to jump between tabs .I can work only this one and have everything I need right on screen. C1 takes some time to learn but in the end it still is my favorite raw processor
    I have it set up similar to you, but I still would like to have it more streamlined. For example just have the Q tab and then one other custom tab and have everything ever needed on just those two tabs and then a quick way to jump between them. Anyway, Ulf at C1 agrees and says it's on the list for consideration for future upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree something like a Option arrow right/ left key would be good

Post Thanks / Like

One for Guy

Appears to be undocumented but Guy, finally the sharpness falloff slider in lens correction works for the 28D... just as I was getting more to grips with Helicon, too!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scatesmd View Post
    Hi All,

How do you install this upgrade on a PC?

If I ask it to upgrade the old program, it fails and says the old files can't be replaced. If I try to uninstall the old one first, there is still a Phase One folder that has a captureone process.exe file that cannot be deleted and the new install fails, as it can't read over the old file.

The result is that the old program can't run and I can't install 4.7, so I'm back to ACR.

How do I delete the old Phase one folder and start over?

Thanks, steve
    Removing 4 from XP/Vista (useful prior to reinstalling if something has gone wrong and capture one is screwed up).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: One for Guy

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Appears to be undocumented but Guy, finally the sharpness falloff slider in lens correction works for the 28D... just as I was getting more to grips with Helicon, too!
    Not undocumented, just very poorly documented.

There are many incremental improvements to the Lens Correction tab.

Light falloff is now available even on unmapped lenses, sharpness correction has been added to the 28mm. Etc etc.

Even I don't have a full list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: One for Guy

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post

Really I have not checked but that is great news for sure. I was really hoping they would get to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One without sharpening and one with. Not the best image for this still soft in the extreme corner but much better , need to play more

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was at 250 percent which is a little high so need to find the happy spot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Full image

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing with some shots I took today for the purpose and in some respects the results are better than Helicon. For me they make a whole bunch of marginal shots more likely to be used and they make it more likely that I'll keep and use the 28D but there are some provisos:

1) it's tempting to go too far with it so post-making these following examples I learned to view the file at 75% not 100% when choosing the sharpness falloff level. This is equivalent on my system to estimating a print nearly 60" wide.
    2) for shots at F16 where you want the ground bottom left and right of a shot to be in focus from a normal height tripod, and you want infinity in focus too, you need less sharpening if you pull focus forward a tad on the lens. On mine about a third of the way back from infinity towards 1.5 metres does it.
    3) the cost of the extra sharpening is, as you would expect, more noise/grain (and furthermore a grain differential across the frame which is subtly not quite right) so the technique is best applied to lower ISO shots. I have found that about the best balance of sharpness and grain for me is usually nearer 200% than the full 250.
    4) further benefits (and slightly less need for the slider!) are to be had by applying it to a distortion-corrected image, because that applies a slight crop of the corners in any event, losing the weakest bits.

I have tried it on some old shots and it is far better at saving those that have had their focus pulled slightly forward rather than those focussed at infinity, which is where this lens tends to place focus in shots with subject centrally at any distance other than under its nose.

Here are three examples from today: they are from the bottom left of the frame. The first is a natural shot with focus pulled very slightly forward of infinity. The second is a Helicon from four shots at intervals of focus from infinity to just under 1.5 metres. The third is the first shot but treated with sharpness falloff to 250%. It looks messy here because I've had to compress the JPEG for upload and this has really exaggerated the grain. As a tiff onscreen it looks a little more grainy than the Helicon version but very acceptable.

Attachment 14461

Attachment 14463

Attachment 14462

Finally for reference the whole scene... which was shot at ISO50 MUP on a tripod with F16 at 1/50th.
    Attachment 14464
    Last edited by tashley; 5th April 2009 at 10:42.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i like the helicon shot

the third shop looks oversharpened, look at the halos around the leaves and the black line around the ls of the blue gizmo

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug -

In ver. 4.6 the Exposure Compensation Slider went +/- 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, etc.
    In ver. 4.7 the Exposure Compensation Slider now goes +/- 0.10, 0.20, 0.30, 0.40, etc.
    Correct (or is my machine wacky - Windows)?

What happens to older saved Exposure Compensation settings (from previous versions) when opened in 4.7 - for example, if the saved setting was +0.15 does it convert to +0.10 or +0.20 when opened in 4.7?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i like the helicon shot

the third shop looks oversharpened, look at the halos around the leaves and the black line around the ls of the blue gizmo
    I agree but this is caused by the JPEGing process to get them on here at an acceptable file size: when viewed in LR at 100% on screen (with variants processed from C1) the 'sharpness falloff adjusted version' actually looks a littl better than the helicon version if a little grainier.