The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dalsa Launches CMOS sensor bigger than 645 with global shutter

FelixCLC

Hey Everyone! Outside of the photo world I'm currently a Computer Engineering student, and while doing some sensor research I came across a new Medium format sensor from Dalsa called the Falcon 4.

The long and short of it is that it a 4:3 ratio at 86 MP, 6 Micro pixels, with an active sensor size of 64mm by 48mm (!!!) putting it almost as an oblong version of 6*6 in terms of capture area (~3000 sure mm of area vs 3100 fo 6*6) :bugeyes:

Supports 16 bit captures
For those using studio flash supports global shutter (so potentially no need for LS lenses dependent upon implementation)
Has both a colour and monochrome variant

Not sure if any of the manufacturers (namely Phase Hassy Pentax and Fuji) would use it in the systems since they've already all moved to Sony for MF, but could be interesting if something does come out of it! Alternatively maybe if the cost per unit is (relatively :ROTFL:) reasonable could we see a new entrant?

Best,

Felix

Here's the website https://www.teledynedalsa.com/en/products/imaging/cameras/falcon4/
Here's the data sheet https://info.teledynedalsa.com/acto...4-00 Falcon4 86M Mono and Color Datasheet.pdf

Abstraction

I seriously doubt that there will be a non-special application camera with a s3nsor bigger than 33x44, much less bigger than 645. The market seems to have settled and Phase One is moving more and mote into the specialized application field. There doesn't seem to be a big enough demand for cameras with big sensors anymore.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Phase One is moving more and more into the specialized application field. There doesn't seem to be a big enough demand for cameras with big sensors anymore.
Where is your evidence for this?

Phase One certainly sells a lot to specialized fields (eg Cultural Heritage, aerial). But our sales to the primary market of photographers has been steady and growing over the last several years; of course I can only speak to the USA market that DT serves.

I would not mistake growth and expansion into additional areas for “moving” away from its core market. Phase One has more engineers and developers working on the XF and IQ platforms than ever before.

As to this sensor, I haven’t deep specs, but my understanding is current global shutter tech “costs” too much, not in terms of dollars but in terms of image quality. I would assume this sensor is designed for use cases like industrial machine vision where dynamic range, color accuracy, and tonal smoothness are largely irrelevant.

I would not expect global shutters in any phase one product any faster than 3-5 years from now.

JeRuFo

Maybe one of the smaller manufacturers will pick it up and bring out a big fixed lens camera again. Let's hope Plaubel is listening.

kdphotography

A larger sensor than the full frame 645 would mean a new camera system and lenses-----because the XF is just simply not big enough. :facesmack::loco:

Ok, I'm in. :ROTFL:

jduncan

Hey Everyone! Outside of the photo world I'm currently a Computer Engineering student, and while doing some sensor research I came across a new Medium format sensor from Dalsa called the Falcon 4.

The long and short of it is that it a 4:3 ratio at 86 MP, 6 Micro pixels, with an active sensor size of 64mm by 48mm (!!!) putting it almost as an oblong version of 6*6 in terms of capture area (~3000 sure mm of area vs 3100 fo 6*6) :bugeyes:

Supports 16 bit captures
For those using studio flash supports global shutter (so potentially no need for LS lenses dependent upon implementation)
Has both a colour and monochrome variant

Not sure if any of the manufacturers (namely Phase Hassy Pentax and Fuji) would use it in the systems since they've already all moved to Sony for MF, but could be interesting if something does come out of it! Alternatively maybe if the cost per unit is (relatively :ROTFL:) reasonable could we see a new entrant?

Best,

Felix

Here's the website https://www.teledynedalsa.com/en/products/imaging/cameras/falcon4/
Here's the data sheet https://info.teledynedalsa.com/acto...4-00 Falcon4 86M Mono and Color Datasheet.pdf
It will be nice, but I don't think so.
First it's not big enough to differienciate from Sony,
it has lower resolution and it's CMOS (so no niche).
it also appears to trow head at. CPU levels (maybe it's over engineering to minimize noise).
The Global Shutter could mean "you can adapt all lenses". So let see what happens.
It will be nice to see the image quality vs the best from Sony.
Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Abstraction

Where is your evidence for this?

Phase One certainly sells a lot to specialized fields (eg Cultural Heritage, aerial). But our sales to the primary market of photographers has been steady and growing over the last several years; of course I can only speak to the USA market that DT serves.

I would not mistake growth and expansion into additional areas for “moving” away from its core market. Phase One has more engineers and developers working on the XF and IQ platforms than ever before.
Phase One has abandoned the 33x44 format and has essentially become a one product company with respect to the retail photography market. I see that as shrinking its commitment to the retail photography market, perhaps with the eye towards exiting that segment. Needless to say, that's conjecture on my part, but that's how I interpret it.

FelixCLC

Or circular, covering a given radius of lens coverage, say 70mm (645 format). (But don't know how easy to manufacture.)
One could then select the desired rectangular ratio.

Perhaps then also making Oval sensors for the anamorphic film makers? From a manufacturing standpoint would be nothing short of a nightmare, only real way of doing it would be to use the full wafers for a singular sensor? Cost would be astronomical but potentially doable (so long as your on a well known process node with very good and consistent yields )

TheDude

...From a manufacturing standpoint would be nothing short of a nightmare, only real way of doing it would be to use the full wafers for a singular sensor?
Yes, from a manufacturing point of view, might just as well stay with a square (just covering a given radius of lens coverage).