The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Firmware coming for the IQ4 details from Capture Integration

Paul2660

After talking with the Steve and Brad at Capture Integration, it seems that Phase has been working on a new firmware for the IQ4, which will add several new features:

This firmware adds: 1) Power Share 2) Auto Gain Live View 3) Self Timer for ES 4) Zoom up to 400% in Live View

Here is a link to a short video showing some new features to live view, the zoom to 400%. Surprisingly the amount of detail that is maintained is impressive.

https://youtu.be/XEd3SZOT9kU

Glad to see that power sharing will also be available for the XF system.

The auto Gain for Live View is also most welcome.

Hopefully this firmware will hit in the next 4 to 7 days.

Paul C

drunkenspyder

After talking with the Steve and Brad at Capture Integration, it seems that Phase has been working on a new firmware for the IQ4, which will add several new features:

This firmware adds: 1) Power Share 2) Auto Gain Live View 3) Self Timer for ES 4) Zoom up to 400% in Live View

Here is a link to a short video showing some new features to live view, the zoom to 400%. Surprisingly the amount of detail that is maintained is impressive.

https://youtu.be/XEd3SZOT9kU

Glad to see that power sharing will also be available for the XF system.

The auto Gain for Live View is also most welcome.

Hopefully this firmware will hit in the next 4 to 7 days.

Paul C
Excellent. Thanks Paul.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
CI may have missed the note that this is not yet meant to be shared publicly as it's still in the final stages of testing. But yes, it is under testing (not just at CI of course :)) and there should be official news soon.

Well, it's probably safe to say a new firmware update for the IQ4 was never speculation, and was very much expected. It comes as no surprise as it was disclosed during the rather haphazard release of the IQ4 150 that such features would be enabled at a later date.

Many early adopters have been impatient, but it was explained that the new IQ4 is essentially a new MFDB requiring the (re) building of features from the ground up.

It couldn't happen sooner. And, I'm sure more firmware updates will follow enabling even more sought after features of this amazing MFDB platform.

It's Dante approved.

Steve Hendrix

CI may have missed the note that this is not yet meant to be shared publicly as it's still in the final stages of testing. But yes, it is under testing (not just at CI of course :)) and there should be official news soon.

Deeply appreciate your concern Mr. Hall Monitor, but stay in your lane.

We at Capture Integration do of course take part in beta testing of all sorts of Phase One products (as well as beta testing products from other partners). Typically there is very clear non disclosure and embargo documentation to authorize before proceeding and there was none of that for this beta release that we've been working with. Had there been, we certainly would have complied.

The exact instructions we received were "We suggest that you do not give this to customers yet and wait for the public release". Given that gray area, we weighed the reality that this release is likely about a week away from being final, but our many clients who have IQ4 150 units have been waiting 3 months for, what constitutes to some of them, usability updates that allow them to shoot current and scheduled upcoming projects.

While we have chosen not to provide the firmware itself to any clients, with no embargo instructions from Phase One, we voted in favor of at least providing the information to our clients.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
"Stay in your lane?" Sounds like LaVar Ball. (I.e., not very nice.)
I appreciate the concern, but trust me when I say I've been called far worse than "Mr. Hall Monitor" :cool:

Both Steve and I value a manufacturer's trust when they provide us confidential information, and understand that our continued access to such confidential information helps us better serve our clients. In this case, getting this firmware to test in-house before it goes public allows the time to test and understand it prior to the first customer using it. This is especially important for P1 hardware since the dealer is the primary point of contact for all customer support.

Steve just wasn't correctly informed by his P1 rep that this firmware was still under embargo. Such things happen.

We all agree IQ4 users have been waiting a long time for a major firmware update and that they will be eager to get their hands on this one once it has passed internal beta testing and been released publicly.

Looking forward to discussing this firmware further when it is public.

Last edited:

algrove

Sure hope it's at least up to the IQ3100 standards by now so that tech cam users have a continuation from the IQ3100 into the IQ4150.

eisbaer

So no good news on the tech camera and leaf shutter front ? No latency settings?
Really?? As ES is nice but in a lot of cases you need the shutter..

Frank

Paul2660

Phase One announced a 12 pin cable that would work with the Copal shutters. I have one on order for my rig, have not seen it yet. From reports from others, the problem on some lenses is the angle of the cable mount on the lens. Some lenses may need a right angle adapter I have seen pictures from Cambo.

No mention of zero latency capability as you point out. You apparently still need to touch the back to wake it up.

Still wondering if zero latency may have an issue with heat, as the back does get considerable warmer than the IQ3.

Paul C

So, we have a company that releases a product that needs a firmware update which everyone, dealers and buyers all agree on. There’s discussions on the need of the update that’s been going for quite awhile yet as soon as someone thanks their dealer for sharing the fact that a firmware update is actually in the works and another dealer calls them out for even discussing the fact that there was a work in progress suddenly no one can speak of it. Sounds much like a combination of a petulant dealer and company.

Not Dante approved.

drunkenspyder

<snip>
Sounds much like a combination of a petulant dealer and company.

Not Dante approved.
I don’t think that’s fair. Phase has a right to control the distribution of its intellectual property. And it has the right to condition dealer status on the respect and honor of those rights. Both of those rights can be enforced in a number of ways. But no one has been barred from talking about requested features, Phase’s announced future plans, or (speculation on) the imminence of a release. But if the software itself and/or the definitive feature set are/is embargoed, we need to respect that. Now, it may be that Phase needs to tighten up its controls over its assets and its dealers. That is a different but likewise valid issue.