The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

modifying Digital lenses !

mella

Hi all
any Tips to how to modify 4 Horseman SWII 24/35/45/55mm beautifull Lenses to fit Alpa Max cameras ? i am planing to move to Alpa, but dont fancy buying all the almost the same lenses for Alpa

i do thank you all for your Tips and ideas in advanced

Fari

Audii-Dudii

Hi all
any Tips to how to modify 4 Horseman SWII 24/35/45/55mm beautifull Lenses to fit Alpa Max cameras ? i am planing to move to Alpa, but dont fancy buying all the almost the same lenses for Alpa
If you have the ability to do this sort of work yourself, then you probably don't need to ask this question.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to put everything in a box and send it to SKGrimes and let them sort out the details and do the work for you.

Their work isn't inexpensive, to be sure, but it is fairly priced and if you're buying an Alpa setup, then I don't expect the monetary aspects of paying a professional to do the work will pose a significant issue for you.

Good luck! :D

mella

If you have the ability to do this sort of work yourself, then you probably don't need to ask this question.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to put everything in a box and send it to SKGrimes and let them sort out the details and do the work for you.

Their work isn't inexpensive, to be sure, but it is fairly priced and if you're buying an Alpa setup, then I don't expect the monetary aspects of paying a professional to do the work will pose a significant issue for you.

Good luck! :D
many thanks for your reply and assistance, the adress was more important to me, i did not know to whom to send the lenses to!

have a great day

Fari

MartinN

SKGrimes do a lot of work with Large format FILM accessories and so on but I strongly
beleive that they can't do ALPA conversion. ALPA would need calibrated helicoids ?
I think your only option would be sending the lenses to ALPA for conersion.

But on the other hand, you already have a nice Horseman camera and lots of lenses
so would ALPA give that much more (tilt ?)?

f8orbust

Hi all

i do thank you all for your Tips and ideas in advanced

Fari
Since you have the lenses (including helicals), you've got a few options:

1. Send to Alpa - they will mount the lenses for you . Expensive, but cheaper than buying the lenses new. For something like the 24, you might pick up a used copy in an Alpa mount for less than Alpa will charge to mount a lens+helical.

2. There's a guy (in China) on eBay who makes Alpa-compatible mounts - get in touch with him and let him know which lenses you have and he'll quote you. Obviously the machining isn't as fine as Alpa, but as long as the two faces are parallel and the correct distance apart, you're in business.

3. 3D print the mounts. The specs for the flange back distance and distance from film plane at infinity are all available on the internet so you can do the math. Or, just ask Alpa for the numbers - they are amazingly helpful.

Jim

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Since you are going to Alpa mount, it is not so important what they are in currently, as what they are going into, provided they have a healthy working copal shutter.

In that event, I would recommend sending to Christoph Greiner Photo:

https://www.greiner-photo.de/service/

Alpa themselves do not mount the lenses into the Alpa mounting apparatus, either Rodenstock will, or Griener will do this for them (and if the lens is a current Rodenstock lens, Alpa will quality control check this lens upon return). If the lens is a discontinued Schneider lens, then working directly through Greiner is the path.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Sarnian

For something like the 24, you might pick up a used copy in an Alpa mount for less than Alpa will charge to mount a lens+helical.

2. There's a guy (in China) on eBay who makes Alpa-compatible mounts - get in touch with him and let him know which lenses you have and he'll quote you. Obviously the machining isn't as fine as Alpa, but as long as the two faces are parallel and the correct distance apart, you're in business.
Alpa told me a couple of years ago that Schneider Kreuznach don’t have any more mounts for the Apo-Digitar 24mm XL.

Re the guy in China (Jukie) he’s adapting my SK 24mm XL into a Horseman SWD Mount. He’s also making an Alpa mount for another customer’s SK 24mm XL. He seems to take a lot of care over his 3D printed mounts.

aly324

Any idea approximately how much having Alpa mount a HR Digaron-S 35/4 and a 60/4 costs?

Also, has anyone written about the quality of Jukie's Alpa mounts?