The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wired shutter release for IQ4 150 (tech cam)

Boinger

After a lot of R&D and massive amounts of money spent I am proud to introduce a wired shutter release cable for use with e-shutter or to wake up the camera back instead of tapping on the screen.

Usage is simple.

Press the button to engage eshutter.

If using in copal shutter with a sync cable.

Press the button and then trigger the copal shutter.

I connected a momentary switch to the phase one sync cable.

20190316_203620.jpg

After a lot of R&D and massive amounts of money spent I am proud to introduce a wired shutter release cable for use with e-shutter or to wake up the camera back instead of tapping on the screen.

Usage is simple.

Press the button to engage eshutter.

If using in copal shutter with a sync cable.

Press the button and then trigger the copal shutter.

I connected a momentary switch to the phase one sync cable.

View attachment 140232

Interesting, you soldered up the 12 pin yourself?

All I want is a really low profile ES release that I can stick anywhere on my tech cam for handheld shooting

Boinger

nice :) do you know the pin config for the 12 pin connector?
I do not unfortunately I used the phase one sync cord that was provided to me.

Interesting, you soldered up the 12 pin yourself?

All I want is a really low profile ES release that I can stick anywhere on my tech cam for handheld shooting
I didn't solder the 12 pin cable. This is the sync cable that came with the Iq4 150 and I connected the remote shutter button the pc end of the sync cord. If you want something low profile. You could attach the remote shutter directly to the sync cord. Or just add a momentary button to the end of the sync cord.

I used the spliter to provide a wake up function when I am working with my studio strobes.

$200 vs $16

narikin

Can I just point out how we as customers have spent $40,000 (if you upgraded include the worth of your IQ3) on getting Phase's latest back, and are resorting to cobbling together some combination of wires and plugs to get it to work with a tech camera and leaf shutter, one of the mainstays of pro photography.

To be reduced to posting images of home made cabling after this level of expense, when everything was previously working perfectly with the IQ3, is completely and utterly unacceptable. Period.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can I just point out how we as customers have spent $40,000 (if you upgraded include the worth of your IQ3) on getting Phase's latest back, and are resorting to cobbling together some combination of wires and plugs to get it to work with a tech camera and leaf shutter, one of the mainstays of pro photography.

To be reduced to posting images of home made cabling after this level of expense, when everything was previously working perfectly with the IQ3, is completely and utterly unacceptable. Period.
What do you mean? The appropriate 12-pin cables were significantly delayed (very annoying and disappointing to be sure), but they've been available for a few weeks now:

You can either do a single sync cable and do the wakeup on the back:
12-pin Tech Camera Sync Cable for Phase One IQ4

OR you can do the wakeup cable + adapter so you can wakeup via a button push:
12-pin Multiconnector Adapter for Phase One IQ4
Phase One Wakeup Cable

Boinger wants to save money by home-making cables instead. That's his prerogative, and given that it's not a power cable or a tether cable I don't see much risk/issue in him doing so. But if he wanted to buy proper/official cables instead of making his own, he could. I also suspect that if he talked to his dealer that they could have made some accommodation for him in order to keep him a happy camper (but I can't speak on behalf of dealers).

Maybe you were not aware that these cables are now available?

If there's something to really linger on here it's that the IQ4 still does not have a zero-latency mode, so on a tech camera, regardless of what kind of cable you use, you have to wake up the back before taking a picture. That's either annoying (e.g. if you shoot idyllic landscapes with no particular timing or time pressure) or incredibly problematic (e.g. if you shoot architectural exterior trying to time the ingress and egress of people passing through a doorway). Phase One really needs to address this.

But the whole cable thing has been addressed.

narikin

If there's something to really linger on here it's that the IQ4 still does not have a zero-latency mode, so on a tech camera, regardless of what kind of cable you use, you have to wake up the back before taking a picture. That's either annoying (e.g. if you shoot idyllic landscapes with no particular timing or time pressure) or incredibly problematic (e.g. if you shoot architectural exterior trying to time the ingress and egress of people passing through a doorway). Phase One really needs to address this.

But the whole cable thing has been addressed.
No it hasn't! You can't have one piece (last line) without the other (the paragraph before). That is not the *whole cable thing* It's like saying we have the computer hardware, and will sell it to you, but... there is no working software for it yet.

Some cables/plugs now exist, yes, (and were ridiculously late arriving, as you say) However, you cannot use these as single shot, but have to double press to wake up, then shoot. I fall into your second option, and have been effectively unable to make the work I do. Alpa have supplied me with a cable, but courtesy of Phase I have a ridiculous ~0.7 sec latency delay from trigger press to shutter release. And no idea when it has finished writing, clear to take the next shot, as there is still no 'ready' beep on new firmware. Sigh. I never had any of this with IQ3.

If Phase don't realize that a large percentage of their customers are not on the XF, but on tech cams, then they have their heads in the sand. If they do know this, then it's even worse, as it appears they don't give a fig.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No it hasn't! You can't have one piece (last line) without the other (the paragraph before). That is not the *whole cable thing* It's like saying we have the computer hardware, and will sell it to you, but... there is no working software for it yet.

Some cables/plugs now exist, yes, (and were ridiculously late arriving, as you say) However, you cannot use these as single shot, but have to double press to wake up, then shoot. I fall into your second option, and have been effectively unable to make the work I do. Alpa have supplied me with a cable, but courtesy of Phase I have a ridiculous ~0.7 sec latency delay from trigger press to shutter release. And no idea when it has finished writing, ready to take the next shot as there is still no 'ready' beep on new firmware. Sigh. I never had any of this with IQ3.
Aha! Thanks for clarifying.

Then we agree. We were just using different words to describe the shortcoming that remains. We agree that the physical CABLES are (now, after a good wait) fine but that TRIGGERING on a tech camera overall (cable+software), is still highly problematic for a significant chunk of users / use cases.

RLB

For those who own the Kapture Group "One Shot" cable....what would prevent one from removing the 8pin plug and replacing with the 12pin? It would need to be professionally soldiered, but it does not appear that would be beyond doable. The question becomes would the One Shot cable work the same way with the firmware on the IQ4. As Doug points out they have a two a cable solution already...push the button to wake up the back...which is exactly what the One Shot cable does but in one movement not two.

I know there is a pin out schematic for the 12 pin. This is not rocket science.

R

narikin

For those who own the Kapture Group "One Shot" cable....what would prevent one from removing the 8pin plug and replacing with the 12pin? It would need to be professionally soldiered, but it does not appear that would be beyond doable. The question becomes would the One Shot cable work the same way with the firmware on the IQ4. As Doug points out they have a two a cable solution already...push the button to wake up the back...which is exactly what the One Shot cable does but in one movement not two.

R
There's one for sale on eBay right now.

algrove

No IQ4 here as yet, but if on a tech cam and using only ES can one use the old 12 pin cable for ES shooting like on the IQ3100 with the ES extension-I guess the extension was 8 pin?

RLB

There's one for sale on eBay right now.
The Ebay auction is not a 12 pin Din plug, its the 8 pin version, that's the only way it was made by Kapture Group (who has been closed for 2 years or so now).

There is another Ebay auction for an Alpa release/wakeup that claims to have a 12 pin Din plug, but its $550, located in South Korea and has copy that borderline comical, and
no reference to the actual item. Also note delivery is listed as MAY 2019.

Direct quote from auction. Buyer beware:

Item is clean and fully functional

working Great perfect!

No Dent , No Paint, No Repair!

***Pictures of the true item !

Optic/Glass: NO haze, NO fungus !

I am honest and credit, is committed to quick delivery.

RLB

No IQ4 here as yet, but if on a tech cam and using only ES can one use the old 12 pin cable for ES shooting like on the IQ3100 with the ES extension-I guess the extension was 8 pin?
In my experience, I feel there are a couple of potential solutions to Tech camera/copal users (which I am and have the IQ4).

1) Phase/Mamiya 12 pin + sync cable: The downside is one must touch the back to wake it up...but you can then hesitate for a while to let camera "settle" after touching it.
I would be happier if I could retrofit the older One Shot cable from Kapture Group so its one easy motion. Also, supply of new 12 pin cables not good.

2) Use only electronic shutter. For landscape this works for the most part, although I think there are limitations to the length of the exposure with the shutter (long exposures) and no way to sync strobes, and moving objects in the scene could be problematic.

3) Use the "old" two cable method. Push the button wake up back on cable then trip copal. Cumbersome, but a current solution at $200. for the cables.

4) Build your own Franken-Cable release. Time consuming, bulky, reliable?

Other ideas?

narikin

The Ebay auction is not a 12 pin Din plug, its the 8 pin version, that's the only way it was made by Kapture Group (who has been closed for 2 years or so now).
the Kapture Group cable discussion was already about modifying it to 12pin, as in RLB's post:

For those who own the Kapture Group "One Shot" cable....what would prevent one from removing the 8pin plug and replacing with the 12pin? It would need to be professionally soldered, but it does not appear that would be beyond doable. The question becomes would the One Shot cable work the same way with the firmware on the IQ4. As Doug points out they have a two a cable solution already...push the button to wake up the back...which is exactly what the One Shot cable does but in one movement not two.

R
No official 12pin KG cable exists or ever will, so you'd have to modify an existing 8pin one, using the 12pin Phase plug off a Hahnel. Doesn't look that hard, and should get you to one-shot release... hopefully!