The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA Rodenstock 40mm f/4.0 HR Alpagon Owners - Center Filter... do you use it?

Destin

Just wondering how essential the Center Filter is on the Rodenstock 40mm? I don't mind a bit of vignetting on landscapes.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In my experience it's unnecessary. I still shoot LCC's with the 40HR though, but I didn't even consider getting the CF for this lens due to the corresponding light drop off, plus the pains of using CF filters on SK 24/35 & Rodie 23HR + 32HR in the past.

With respect to vignetting on landscapes - sure. It depends on the amount of movements you might use and whether you intend to stitch pano's etc. There are many situations where even if I forget to shoot an LCC (or use a reference LCC) that it doesn't really make much difference in the scene but YMMV of course.

Something else to consider in your decision is what type of digital back you are using. Dependent upon the sensor, the need for LCC/CF may vary.

Paul2660

Does Rodenstock even make a CF for the 40mm? I have one made by Heliopan, but never saw a CF by Rodenstock.

I agree with Graham, it's really not needed even for shifts of 20mm

Paul C

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Does Rodenstock even make a CF for the 40mm? I have one made by Heliopan, but never saw a CF by Rodenstock.

I agree with Graham, it's really not needed even for shifts of 20mm

Paul C
I believe that you are correct - I’ve only ever seen HR CFs for 23, 28, 32HR. Anything else has either been digital or required LCC.

tcdeveau

I'm new to the 40 Alpagon but so far my experience (with a H5D-50c back) mirrors what Graham, Greg, Dave, and Paul have said above.

I don't think there's a need for a center filter. I still do LCCs, but unshifted the LCC doesn't make a huge difference and you can even get away without that but YMMV depending on scene/back/taste/etc.
-Todd

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I can only agree to what has been said above .
I never use a centerfilter for the 40mm DIGARON , not even for the 28mm DIGARON but always do LCC . HASSELBLADs PHOCUS can correct a light fall in the corners very well .

Destin

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was always under the impression that it existed but if not, and if no-one feels it's needed that's great - one extra cost avoided.

Ps. Current back IQ3100

RLB

With the 40 Rode I don't feel there is a need for the center filter...LCC yes for dust, fall off and color cast especially the shifting.

Also have the 32mm Rode. I found a center filter for it and did extensive testing...couple of issues with it; very expensive, hard to find, lowers contrast considerably, loose 2-3 stops of exposure. Even with the 32mm on a good DB, I don't think you benefit from it except in some extraordinary lighting scenario. LCC=Always. CF=rarely. I think if you were shooting film the center filter would be far more necessary, but with digital and post correction its not.

YMMV

Robert

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was always under the impression that it existed but if not, and if no-one feels it's needed that's great - one extra cost avoided.

Ps. Current back IQ3100

It is the same center filter that fits the 35/45/55 digital sironar lenses.

But everyone is right, I only remember selling one of them in the past x number of years and it wasn't even for the 40.

The nice thing is you can shoot the 40 and see how you feel about not having it. If you feel fine, no need to do anything at all.

Steve Hendrix/CI