The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Back has no power

photomassimo

I have a Leaf Aptus II 12 and i use it mostly for my fine art.
Few months ago it started to slow down and recently we had an accident in which the back fell(along with the tripod) on the floor.
The display stopped working but the digital back worked fine on my sinar P3.
Now the digital back starts but it stops after few minutes both on the Sinar P3 and the Hasselblad.
On the Sinar P3 it just dissapear from capture one and on the Hassy it says "Digital back has no power" even if it has a fully charged battery.
The problem is that somedays the whole thing(sinarP3 tethered and hassy with battery) works fine.
I am trying to find a solution that make sense financially because the digital back is worth very little and Phase wants a ton of money to fix it.
I've read of the Aptus problems with the internal battery and i was wondering if this could be the cause of these problems.
I don't need the display to work since i only use this back on the Sinar and i double checked the cables, computer and repeater and battery.
I am not an expert but if it was something like the firewire board or something else it would not work at all so now i am thinking of the battery or
maybe some setting that is on the back and i can't change it since the display doesn't work.
Anyway if anyone had the same problem and has any info on what this could be please let me know.
Thank you
Massimo

photomassimo

steve_cor

Thank you Steve, do you know anyone that can do this? I am really afraid to mess this up.
Thank you
Massimo
In a computer, sometimes you can fix it by re-seating a card, such as a video card or memory sticks. Just lift them out and click them back in. That fixes the computer. The digital back is rather like a computer. Could be that when it fell, some connection got loose, so re-seating the cards might fix it.

I suppose there are a lot of people who could do it, but hardly anyone is familiar with digital backs. When I tried taking items to small repair shops, such as iPhone repair shops, they wouldn't work on anything unless it was on their list. Maybe you could find a more general purpose repair shop that works on VCR's, TV's, stereos, and computers. Then the repairmen are used to figuring stuff out.

If you do it yourself, keep each circuit board and screws organized in a dish or a container so you can put them back in the same order. You could take pictures to help you remember how they were. It's only a few tools.

--Steve.

photomassimo

Thank you Steve!
I started to charge the back with the external battery and now it works, it def needs a new internal battery.
I found someone that can take a look at this and change the battery and check for the connections, the display still not working.
I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again
In a computer, sometimes you can fix it by re-seating a card, such as a video card or memory sticks. Just lift them out and click them back in. That fixes the computer. The digital back is rather like a computer. Could be that when it fell, some connection got loose, so re-seating the cards might fix it.

I suppose there are a lot of people who could do it, but hardly anyone is familiar with digital backs. When I tried taking items to small repair shops, such as iPhone repair shops, they wouldn't work on anything unless it was on their list. Maybe you could find a more general purpose repair shop that works on VCR's, TV's, stereos, and computers. Then the repairmen are used to figuring stuff out.

If you do it yourself, keep each circuit board and screws organized in a dish or a container so you can put them back in the same order. You could take pictures to help you remember how they were. It's only a few tools.

--Steve.

photomassimo

Hi Steve we changed the battery and checked the connections, the battery was dead and now the digital back works. Next week we are gonna explore the display, since is not working now. The tech thinks is the light inside that burned out when it fell or maybe if we are lucky just a connection. Do you know if i have to change the whole display or just the internal light? if is only the light, what kind is used on these backs.
Just in case you know.
Thank you
Massimo

--Steve.

photomassimo

Hi Steve i went to the tech and we open the display from the firewire.
All it was the connection of the display to the board was off. There was supped to be a screw there holding it but it was missing.
We open the whole back and look for it but is not there so we replace it with another one.
I bought this back used back in the days from a NYC dealer and they must have refurbish the screen and forgot to put the score back in it.
Anyway now everything works with the new battery and the connector in the right place.
Thank you again
Massimo
Sorry, I don't know about it.

If you take your screen off, maybe you can find a part number on it. I found this website that says "We mainly sell Industrial LCD panels and touch screens".

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/3-...MI4_TrifKr4QIVeCCtBh2eSgT_EAQYBiABEgLCsfD_BwE

I'm not saying that's the right one. You could ask them if they know.

--Steve.