The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New (To Me) Leaf AFI II 7

Just acquired a Leaf AFI II 7 from this forum's very own Geoff. (Thank you Sir!)

Some might say yeesh what an old and antiquated thing, but in my usual contrarian way I'm excited to use it on my Hy6 Mod 2. It has a nice, big, and rotating (!!!) sensor. I love how well it speaks to the Hy6, no fussing with sync cables. 33mp seems like a rudimentary pixel count but on the other hand that's basically a 16x20 out of the box so to speak. Of course I still regularly shoot a D700 for professional applications so I'm not exactly a pixel peeper, but this back has far more detail than my D810 even with the lower pixel resolution.

It was quick and easy to begin shooting test images with my 50/2.8 and 80/2.8 AFD. From the looks of it ACR will read the .mos files if you shoot uncompressed, but I'm downloading the last version of Leaf Capture just to give myself a root canal. ;)

This back will likely be mostly for camera scanning with the 90 APO, and some editorial portrait applications which require speed. I'm having a great time with it so far!

Paratom

cool. I just got back my Hy6 from DW Foto-which updated it to mod.2
At the moment I only have a film back (and this was my main interest) but if I find a good deal for a digital back I might get that as well. Once had the 33MP Sinar LV75 and the IQ was very good. Is it the same sensor in the Leaf back?

DougDolde

I had an Aptus 75S a few years back on a Contax 645. However I wouldn't rate it anywhere as good as my D850 especially in terms of DR or long exposure capability.

cool. I just got back my Hy6 from DW Foto-which updated it to mod.2
At the moment I only have a film back (and this was my main interest) but if I find a good deal for a digital back I might get that as well. Once had the 33MP Sinar LV75 and the IQ was very good. Is it the same sensor in the Leaf back?
I believe so, but there was some tweak at some point to get better ISO performance. I am shooting this at 200 and the files look good to me. Noise is there but not bad. Lots of purple fringing but that's an easy fix.

I had an Aptus 75S a few years back on a Contax 645. However I wouldn't rate it anywhere as good as my D850 especially in terms of DR or long exposure capability.
Where's the fun in that?! :ROTFL:

The D810 I have is definitely more versatile, but sometimes you just want to shoot medium format. The recent hegemony of 3:2 35mm cameras is so boring IMO. They get the job done, but I like to mix it up.

You may or may not know, but Capture One works with Leaf files. Much better than Leaf Capture.
I couldn't even get Leaf Capture running on my iMac so that ended that. The .MOS files work in ACR if you shoot uncompressed. I know C1P is a better raw processor, but switching from a workflow I know like the back of my hand is a bit painful. Plus I need LR/PS for work so I would just have to add a whole new monthly subscription...

axiom

Congrats to Speedgraphic on the digital back, to Paratom on the mod2 upgrade.

I am still in the process of getting myself comfortable with an eMotion75.
If there is any film back from you guys get neglected due to your new love, I'd be happy to take over ;)

Paratom

Congrats to Speedgraphic on the digital back, to Paratom on the mod2 upgrade.

I am still in the process of getting myself comfortable with an eMotion75.
If there is any film back from you guys get neglected due to your new love, I'd be happy to take over ;)

I bought back into the Hy6 mainly for film use so even though I plan to get a 6060 my 4045 will stay with me as a backup or for different film.

By the way I still have some images on the wall from the LV75 some years ago and I am convinced if you use it in the right light it will shine with very natural files and skintones. So I think it is not only fun to use but also rewarding IQ.

DougDolde

Where's the fun in that?! :ROTFL:

The D810 I have is definitely more versatile, but sometimes you just want to shoot medium format. The recent hegemony of 3:2 35mm cameras is so boring IMO. They get the job done, but I like to mix it up.
I know what you mean medium format is fun to shoot. Honestly though I don't miss it, not being tied to
a tripod is a huge advantage. So much easier to try different compositions quickly.

I'm having a great time with this thing. I'm shocked how good it is beyond the base ISO. Using my Rollei lenses on a digital camera is a dream so far. The quality just jumps off the screen. It's very usable just handheld in good light. Plus I've done some 120% up-res tests and I can barely see a quality drop. It basically means I have a lovely 50mp file when I need it, without even resorting to fancy up-res plugins.

I would say the biggest difference I notice is that there is less highlight and shadow recovery. However it's still pretty adjustable via exposure and curves. Even if I'm a stop or so over!

I've shot up to ISO 200 and have had no issues with the quality at those speeds. So it's already doing better than the Provia I was shooting! If it's this good, I can't even imagine with the Credo 60 must be like.... Someday!