The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4150 - Best Back Ever?

onasj

Seeing a side-by-side comparison (and, even better, links to raw files) of the IQ3 tri vs achro on the same scene would be very helpful—thank you very much!

For IQ3100Tr. vs IQ3100Achro. I have a few comparison shots. Virtually just swapped the sensor and XF / lens remained unchanged. The lens had the IQ3100Achro. a B + W 486 filter - otherwise no sharp photos would have been possible. I can gladly show you something.

My IQ4 Achromatic update has been ordered, but not there yet. I do not know exactly when it comes and I can take pictures.

The IQ3 Achromatic had a sharp edge over the IQ3100Tr. Feels 25% better. But I never tried to measure. The IQ3 Achromatic also has a rush advantage.

The most important question: Are converted color pictures better or worse than BW pictures from the Achromat? I could not always answer the question unequivocally for me - that would be a longer discussion that also has a lot to do with personal perception.

Greeting Gerd

Boinger

A Tesla Model 3 would be cheaper. If that doesn't put the absurd price in perspective what does?
I am assuming no one actually spends 45k on this back. Most people upgrade which is like 22k-27k I guess depending on your dealer. Unfortunately phase don't like to publish pricing so its a bit of a shot in the dark which I honestly don't like.

Gerd

Seeing a side-by-side comparison (and, even better, links to raw files) of the IQ3 tri vs achro on the same scene would be very helpful—thank you very much!
Where I am right now, unfortunately, I have no bandwidth. That's why I only show ScreenShots / JPEG.

I set the focus manually, exactly on the rain gutter.

Camera was XF with a Schneider Kreuznach 45mm F3.5 LF BR lens. Both backs have the respective base ISO. The pictures are not edited.

33% comparison

100% comparison
The shape of the roof shingles in front of the head is basically flat from our point of view and is essentially described only by the tonal values. The roof shingles separate much better in achromatic image.

300% comparison
At the roof gutter is a groove. The groove is not visible in the Trichromatic image.

Two other cutouts 100% and 200% from the motif.

Trichromatic image converted into BW in comparison to the Achromatic image.

Various sections:

Greeting Gerd

dave.gt

Realizing the sweet spot is never cheap. Sometimes it is realized after spending a lot of money time and time again through replacement or upgrading. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

There is always something or someone at the pinnacle of whatever endeavor and it is always questioned. Besides a topic of conversation, those questions mean little, and for me, I always love to have something out there for aspiration as well as inspiration.

What a boring world we would live in without those excellent icons to enjoy through acquisition, renting or simply observing. My appreciation goes out to all the Phase One customers. Not to mention the dealers and the corporation itself!:thumbs:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
“These images are not edited” means you left c1’s raw image adjustments at default?

If so, re sharpening during such fine detail comparisons, I suggest lowering the threshold of sharpening to 0 and luminance noise reduction to 20 or under. Or in the very least exploring these settings and their impact on fine detail.

Gerd

If so, re sharpening during such fine detail comparisons, I suggest lowering the threshold of sharpening to 0 and luminance noise reduction to 20 or under. Or in the very least exploring these settings and their impact on fine detail.
Yes, I could do that.
But the background is, I just made these pictures for myself to see what comes out of differences by default. The pictures were never used as a comparison for a forum or similar thought.

Apart from that, I think most users here in the forum know exactly what IQ3100 can and what you can get out of the post.

Greeting Gerd

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, I could do that.
But the background is, I just made these pictures for myself to see what comes out of differences by default. The pictures were never used as a comparison for a forum or similar thought.

Apart from that, I think most users here in the forum know exactly what IQ3100 can and what you can get out of the post.
Absolutely. I only point it out because the difference seem quite significant at first when, with adjustments to how each are processed to get the most out of each, the difference is a bit more subtle. I'm glad to sell a ton of IQ4 150mp Achromatics (or IQ3 100mp Achromatics which we now have coming in as trade-ins) but I want to make sure potential clients have a realistic view of the amount of improvement they should expect in terms of sharpness, noise, and look. There is absolutely a difference, but it is not quite as large as the default raw settings will lead one to believe.

RLB

We jumped from the IQ180 to the IQ4 and frankly the difference is huge. I'd expect the move from a IQ100 is less as has been shown. Mostly using it on a Tech camera and the new sensor's minimal and at times almost imperceptible color cast from shifting is extraordinary. Still shooting LCC's for dust and falloff, but we are thrilled. HDMI live view and live focus peaking has made usability much better, both significant assets to a Tech camera user. Once Ethernet comes on line and some of the other projected features it will in my mind be the best back they have ever made. Making incredible huge B&W prints (don't have the Achro), preferred to have the flexibility of shooting color too, frankly can't see why the Achro is necessary. Wishing for a bit better battery life. No regrets whatsoever.

R