The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Heaven

dave.gt

Dave,
This thread is a quite little corner for cuddling Hasselblads.
I got my SWC,SWCM and 503CX marry to P21 and P30. Any blashphemy done? :p
Evolution of the species?:)

I can only wish I could do the same!:salute:

bensonga

Dave,
This thread is a quite little corner for cuddling Hasselblads.
I got my SWC,SWCM and 503CX marry to P21 and P30. Any blashphemy done? :p

No blasphemy at all! The modularity of film (and now digital) backs is one of the things I really like about the Hasselblad 500/200 series cameras. Hasselblad itself created the CFV digital backs for the 500 & 200 series cameras, so all is good. :thumbs:

I have a CFV-16II (one of the very few square sensor digital backs). Only wish I could afford a CFV-50c. Or better yet, a “full frame” 6x6 cm sensor digital back, if it is ever produced.

Gary

dave.gt

No blasphemy at all! The modularity of film (and now digital) backs is one of the things I really like about the Hasselblad 500/200 series cameras. Hasselblad itself created the CFV digital backs for the 500 & 200 series cameras, so all is good. :thumbs:

I have a CFV-16II (one of the very few square sensor digital backs). Only wish I could afford a CFV-50c. Or better yet, a “full frame” 6x6 cm sensor digital back, if it is ever produced.

Gary
Gary,

You have hit the nail on the head and driven home the point that modularity is the key to the design of Hasselblads, and Phase One cameras as well. Add the aesthetic design, and there ya go!

This weekend I was shooting some 220 Ektachrome with the film backs on the H5. What a joy!!!:thumbup: It was an ugly day, and there was nothing that caught my eye so I didn't bother with the digital back but I could have. Oh, it was actually on loan to a friend, so I was forced to carry the D850 as well. It was then I realized once again the genius of modularity as both hands were full with two cameras.

Modularity inherently increases flexibility to use different formats very easily, and at much cheaper cost!:):):)

dave.gt

Hasselblad V!!!

Post some of your own images, folks. I am interested and I would love to see your CFV images! There have been precious few images posted in this magnificent MF forum.

It seems like some have given up on the classic Hasselblad in both film and digital form. That is unfortunate and boring. I know, BTDT.:mad:

So let's see YOUR images!:thumbs:

mristuccia

Here is a sample taken from a project I'm currently working on. Its name is "iElsewhere" and it talks about the way we cut off reality (which turns into darkness) when we get totally captured into our mobile devices.

Shot with an Hasselblad 503CW, CFV-50c and a Sonnar CF T* 4/180.
Light comes from each subject's mobile phone running his/her preferred app.
As you may imagine, achieving the right (manual) focus on subject's left eye is really difficult, but definitely doable. That's part of the game. :)

ISO 800/1600 at f4 and 1/8-1/15sec.

More on my website:
https://photography.marcoristuccia.com/portfolio/ielsewhere/

Last edited:

dave.gt

Here is a sample taken from a project I'm currently working on. Its name is "iElsewhere" and it talks about the way we cut off reality (which turns into darkness) when we get totally captured into our mobile devices.

As you may imagine, achieving the right (manual) focus on subject's left eye is really difficult but definitely doable. That's part of the game. :)

Marco,

This is a brilliant project! Thank you for sharing.

It is somewhat similar to the iconic images of the 50s and 60s, which showed viewers in a reclining chair with a beer watching the screen like the old Archie Bunker tv show. I suppose that is still a popular vision everywhere.

Your images are powerful. What disturbs me most is the same trance, although more animated, is common with our grandkids who play video games non-stop. The content of those games is always based on violence.:mad:

What are we doing to our children, and to ourselves?

dave.gt

On the other hand, beauty is all around us (not too sure about the lab scan so here is the low res scan, I am having trouble finding the archived image):

Hasselblad 503cxi, 80/2.8:
IMG_1672.JPG

This image was made in 2018 in the late afternoon toward the end of the bloom season. The flower was mature and fully open.

Yesterday, I made an image of the first Clematis bloom of 2019, using a D850 and the flower was not yet fully open but it gave me a feel of the difference between the Hasselblad film capture and a highly-respected modern digital sensor capture. I must say, that portraits, whether of people or florals, have a different character when made with film vs. digital. Both are wonderful. The overall capture experience is far more fun for me with the 503, though.:)

It does wonderful Macros as well:
IMG_1615.JPG

Last edited:

mristuccia

As you may imagine, achieving the right (manual) focus on subject's left eye is really difficult but definitely doable. That's part of the game. :)

Marco,

This is a brilliant project! Thank you for sharing.

It is somewhat similar to the iconic images of the 50s and 60s, which showed viewers in a reclining chair with a beer watching the screen like the old Archie Bunker tv show. I suppose that is still a popular vision everywhere.

Your images are powerful. What disturbs me most is the same trance, although more animated, is common with our grandkids who play video games non-stop. The content of those games is always based on violence.:mad:

What are we doing to our children, and to ourselves?
Thanks Dave!

Yes, this sort of trance is what always captures me while observing people playing with such sort of devices. Mobile phones, game consoles, etc... We are gradually leaving reality and transferring ourselves into the digital world. One day we will really make only use of avatars/bots to go outside in the "dangerous" real world and do our duties. :)

mristuccia

On the other hand, beauty is all around us (not too sure about the lab scan so here is the low res scan, I am having trouble finding the archived image):

Hasselblad 503cxi, 80/2.8:
View attachment 140778

This image was made in 2018 in the late afternoon toward the end of the bloom season. The flower was mature and fully open.

Yesterday, I made an image of the first Clematis bloom of 2019, using a D850 and the flower was not yet fully open but it gave me a feel of the difference between the Hasselblad film capture and a highly-respected modern digital sensor capture. I must say, that portraits, whether of people or florals, have a different character when made with film vs. digital. Both are wonderful. The overall capture experience is far more fun for me with the 503, though.:)

It does wonderful Macros as well:
View attachment 140779
Beautiful colours Dave!

Film is always more organic and digital is always more clean and "plasticy".
I use both, depending on the project. For the one I posted here I used digital because the portrayed people should resemble kind of half-androids. :)

dave.gt

The wonderful thing about looking back at the past is, sometimes those experiences can be repeated. With cameras, like the Hasselblad V, it is a simple matter of finding the right one to purchase and simply loading it with film.

No batteries, chargers, memory cards, or anything other than simply film. I am fortunate to have a friend do all of my processing and scanning in his photo shop, if I need it, along with printing. Or I will do it myself.

I am looking forward to converting some items here into funds for a mint 503CW one day...

A classic Hasselblad and a box of film.:salute:

What better therapy?:)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Dave

You might even want to put this one into service again .

1000F_0032.jpg

This beauty , sitting in my glas cabinet , is fully functional and just waiting to be used again . A HASSELBLAD 1000F built in the year before the V-SYSTEM was launched .

Godfrey

Now I feel like I should take out my 500CM, fit the Planar 80mm and hood, fit the waist level finder, and hug it for a while.

Well, "hug it" meaning "load a roll of HP5 and make twelve glorious Hasselblad photographs." I might just do that! It needs some exercise... :D

G

The wonderful thing about looking back at the past is, sometimes those experiences can be repeated. With cameras, like the Hasselblad V, it is a simple matter of finding the right one to purchase and simply loading it with film.

No batteries, chargers, memory cards, or anything other than simply film. I am fortunate to have a friend do all of my processing and scanning in his photo shop, if I need it, along with printing. Or I will do it myself.

I am looking forward to converting some items here into funds for a mint 503CW one day...

A classic Hasselblad and a box of film.:salute:

What better therapy?:)

dave.gt

Dave

You might even want to put this one into service again .

View attachment 141086

This beauty , sitting in my glas cabinet , is fully functional and just waiting to be used again . A HASSELBLAD 1000F built in the year before the V-SYSTEM was launched .
Whoa, I wish!

You are fortunate to have beauty around you. Wow!:)

Never seen one of those beauties, except online! Someone really knew about aesthetic design back then. Impressive!!!:thumbs:

Steve Hendrix

I don't own a motorcycle, but I have this sitting on a shelf above my computer. I couldn't afford a Hasselblad during my film years and always lusted for one. Now that I have a 503CW, I don't have a darkroom. :banghead:

Joe

Hmmm.... with everything I'm seeing here from so many, it's starting to sound like a solid basis for a Hasselblad V Series Meetup!

Steve Hendrix/CI

dave.gt

I don't own a motorcycle, but I have this sitting on a shelf above my computer. I couldn't afford a Hasselblad during my film years and always lusted for one. Now that I have a 503CW, I don't have a darkroom. :banghead:

Joe
Yep, that's it!!! The Five Oh Three See Dubya! Beautiful image there, Joe!:)

Godfrey

Joe
Hmm. You don’t need a darkroom, you need a daylight loading tank. Then you can process film anywhere and scan it with your digital camera. Look for an Agfa Rondinax 60. :)

You do need a motorcycle, however. :D

G