The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Heaven

dave.gt

Lost. And missed greatly.:(

The camera:
Hasselblad 503cxi FINAL 1 July 2018.jpg

The images it produced:
Last Ride getDPI.jpg

Beware all ye who give up their souls for the shiny baubles that have no soul in themselves.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Godfrey

I still have my 500CM and four lenses, although I sold the SWC back to the guy I bought it from.

Every time I think about the possibility of selling the 500CM, my heart skips a beat. So now I'm working on adapting an Instax SQ film processing unit to the Hasselblad back locking mechanism ... :D

G

Last edited:

rmueller

After my 503CW "disappeared" in the photo bag of my wife, I rewarded myself with a (near brand new) 203FE and two
FE lenses (50 and 110). So now i can "borrow" some of my CF/CFE lenses from time to time BUT the 503 CW seems
permanently gone.

But one thing is clear: Digital stuff comes and goes, the analog Hassy's will age with us. Not even thinking about selling one of
the beauties. Just stocked up on Kodak Portra 160 and 400 for an upcoming US road trip.

Regards,
Ralf

mristuccia

Still my main MF camera system. 503CW, both film and digital.
I've recently got a 40mm IF and now aiming at a 250mm superachromat.
I will never, ever, sell or get rid of it!

richardman

For years, I thought my "if I can only keep one camera" would be a Leica, but since getting the 203FE 4-5 years ago...

JoelM

I had the 203FE years ago and loved it. It is fantastic and while I almost bought one about a year ago, the price was just too much for me. Instead, I got the Bronica SQ-A system with PS lenses. Honestly, I am very impressed and it is the best bang for the buck in the medium format film world. I love square format so it was a match made for me and where I wanted to spend my money.

Joel

Godfrey

I had the 203FE years ago and loved it. It is fantastic and while I almost bought one about a year ago, the price was just too much for me. Instead, I got the Bronica SQ-A system with PS lenses. Honestly, I am very impressed and it is the best bang for the buck in the medium format film world. I love square format so it was a match made for me and where I wanted to spend my money.

Joel
That's good to hear, Joel. A good friend of mine had the SQ-A when I had my first 500CM. The Hassies have always been very reliable for me; by contrast, he had nothing but problems with that Bronica, service was pretty poor at solving it, and his experience has colored my impression of the camera's reliability and serviceability. Design-wise, I always thought it a fine piece of equipment but never wanted to buy into one because of Ed's difficulties.

It's good to know that they can be reliable and enjoyable! I guess Ed just got a "Monday morning special" or something like that. Sad, it demotivated him and caused him to exit medium format cameras entirely.

The Bronica RF645 remains one of those "I never owned one but I'd really like to try" cameras for me... :D

G

fotophil

The Bronica RF645 remains one of those "I never owned one but I'd really like to try" cameras for me... :D

My experience with the Bronica is limited to that of my wife's Bronica 6x7 Outfit. She used it years with no problems other than the weight which ultimately drove her to digital alternatives. Image quality was wonderful as would be expected with a 6x7 format.

Abstraction

That's good to hear, Joel. A good friend of mine had the SQ-A when I had my first 500CM. The Hassies have always been very reliable for me; by contrast, he had nothing but problems with that Bronica, service was pretty poor at solving it, and his experience has colored my impression of the camera's reliability and serviceability. Design-wise, I always thought it a fine piece of equipment but never wanted to buy into one because of Ed's difficulties.

It's good to know that they can be reliable and enjoyable! I guess Ed just got a "Monday morning special" or something like that. Sad, it demotivated him and caused him to exit medium format cameras entirely.

G
My experience has been quite the contrary. It's the guys with the Hasselblads who always had their cameras repaired and always complained about them. The Hassys seemed very delicate, too delicate for on location professional work, whereas the Bronicas would take a licking and keep on ticking. All the guys who had them, swore by them.

Godfrey

My experience has been quite the contrary. It's the guys with the Hasselblads who always had their cameras repaired and always complained about them. The Hassys seemed very delicate, too delicate for on location professional work, whereas the Bronicas would take a licking and keep on ticking. All the guys who had them, swore by them.
Different experiences, different impressions... that's all! :D

G

dave.gt

Well, since the OP is about Hasselblads, and certainly not Bronicas, and it is not about eliciting negative posts.... I am compelled to add that the beautiful 503 is on my list to re-acquire one day. I miss the aesthetics and the WLF experience. I miss the camera because it breathes every single release of the shutter with a very audible "ka-whump"!!! It is organic! It's alive!:salute:

I have a dozen rolls of 120 film to process and re-live each frame. I hope that will fill the void until I can be united with another of Victor's superb cameras.:)

JohnBrew

Not sure where to post this. Just received an email from Eric Peterson saying he is leaving Hasselblad after 18 years. Eric was the best Hasselblad rep ever. I have no clue as to Eric's future plans, but his leaving is Hasselblad's loss.

BANKER1

Not sure where to post this. Just received an email from Eric Peterson saying he is leaving Hasselblad after 18 years. Eric was the best Hasselblad rep ever. I have no clue as to Eric's future plans, but his leaving is Hasselblad's loss.
Troubling.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
:(

+1 on Eric being a great guy.

Steve Hendrix

I agree completely.

Eric and I go back many years (oh, about 21) to my days with Umax (remember them?) and Imacon USA (many members came from Umax), going into accounts in Washington DC together.

We have been on the same team many times, and opposite teams on occasion, but have maintained our mutual respect and friendship throughout the years. There's not a finer human being that I know of.

Steve Hendrix/CI