The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

April 1 reminder

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Especially for those outside the USA where I understand fewer people "celebrate" April Fools Day, here is your reminder to read any usual rumors or news posted today with an elevated level of skepticism.

In real news though, my wife and I are expecting a baby girl in mid May. Any and all parenting advice welcome.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Especially for those outside the USA where I understand fewer people "celebrate" April Fools Day, here is your reminder to read any usual rumors or news posted today with an elevated level of skepticism.

In real news though, my wife and I are expecting a baby girl in mid May. Any and all parenting advice welcome.
Doug,

IMHE, parenting advice is largely useless. It is a change akin to adolescence. You can't usefully tell an 11 year old what being 14 will be like. One unexpected upside: a newborn is a perfect shield against anything else you don't want to deal with.

Best wishes,

Matt

Last edited:

BANKER1

Congratulations. Since you are asking for advice, I am assuming that this is your fist child. Your life is in for a drastic change, but it is a change you will embrace with a whole lot of love.

It has been a long time since we had our fist child, but one thing will always stay consistent. The best gift you can give your daughter is to love your wife and demonstrate that love to your child.

Greg

tcdeveau

Great reminder post.

Congrats on the baby! My wife and I have a 5 month old at home (eeek almost 6). Only advice I can offer at the moment is 1) try to get as much shooting in as you can before mid-may; 2) try to take advantage of the time you and your wife have together until the baby comes; 3) don't forget to get yourself something to eat during labor (it takes awhile and you've gotta be 100%); 4) sleep when the baby sleeps (at least for the first few weeks); and 5) there's no such thing as "too many reminders" when it comes to telling your wife she's beautiful.

Feel free to PM if you want/need advice on bottles, clothes, baby monitors, safe sleep, etc etc etc but you've probably got most of that figured out by now. The first couple weeks are rough but it only gets better. Congrats again!
-Todd

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Congratulations Doug - though as a grandfather I have to say that grandchildren are far preferable. You can hand them back to the parents at the end of the day. It's called Parent's Revenge.

But I wouldn't have it any other way!

Best wishes to you and especially your wife for an easy labor,
Bill

Steve Hendrix

Congratulations Doug. You will make a great father and you will love it. Don't let the anxiety get to you, you will do fine. Oh, and enjoy the next 10-11 years or so. Then strap on your seat belt. :)

Steve Hendrix/CI

Jan

April fools is widely 'celebrated' in Europe too. On the parenting side, follow your instinct - you and your wife know what is good and bad for your child.

Not so much an advice but more of an experience, your child (children) gives you back your memories you did not know you had and will love you unconditionally (that fades a bit after a while … hahahhaha …)

Congratulations ….!!!

dave.gt

Only advice you need is a four-letter word:

L O V E

:thumbs:

Godfrey

Congratulations! No advice to offer other than the obvious: Get lots of sleep while you still can. :D

I never had children but I'm always delighted when they come running down the hall being themselves ... My next door neighbor has four boys and we have a wonderful kid-big kid relationship.

G

Jeffrey

Not having any children but seeing what many friends have been through with raising their children, an ample supply of Advil and a fine bottle of rum are essential to your survival. Oh yes, ear plugs too!

Boinger

Congrats!!

With 2 little ones myself don't make the mistake of thinking: "Oh the baby is sleeping now I can do some work."

You will be tired.