The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethered Capture Help - C1P or LR

I can't seem to get my AFi II 7 to tether to either C1P or LR.

I have my AFi II 7 connected through a FW800-400 cable to a FW400-800 adapter, then into a powered dock which still has a FW800 port, then into my iMac through TB2. The back can transfer images to the computer this way, as it shows up like a drive and C1 prompts me to import images when there is a CF card in the back. Also the back wakes up when I plug in the FW cable. The software just doesn't detect the back, and the back just says "waiting for connection". Considering that I can transfer images this way I should also be able to tether...

Any suggestions?

Greg Haag

I can't seem to get my AFi II 7 to tether to either C1P or LR.

I have my AFi II 7 connected through a FW800-400 cable to a FW400-800 adapter, then into a powered dock which still has a FW800 port, then into my iMac through TB2. The back can transfer images to the computer this way, as it shows up like a drive and C1 prompts me to import images when there is a CF card in the back. Also the back wakes up when I plug in the FW cable. The software just doesn't detect the back, and the back just says "waiting for connection". Considering that I can transfer images this way I should also be able to tether...

Any suggestions?
Speedgraphic, this may be too basic, but in Lightroom are you going to File>Tethered Capture>Start Tethered Capture?

Paul2660

I don’t think you will get it to work in C1 unless you go to a FireWire port. Conversions from FireWire to TB don’t seem to work well for tethering.

Can’t help on LR.

Paul C

I don’t think you will get it to work in C1 unless you go to a FireWire port. Conversions from FireWire to TB don’t seem to work well for tethering.

Can’t help on LR.

Paul C
I hope there is some solution considering I'd have to buy an old mac to even have a FW800 port.

I am using an OWC TB2 dock which works really well generally. It allows me to tether from my D810 with no issues.

Steve Hendrix

I hope there is some solution considering I'd have to buy an old mac to even have a FW800 port.

I am using an OWC TB2 dock which works really well generally. It allows me to tether from my D810 with no issues.

Have you successfully tethered this back previously?

If so, has anything changed?

Steve Hendrix/CI

Ok, I'm guessing not from a dealer.

A couple things.

Have you confirmed that shooting to CF Card works fine?

Have you installed Leaf drivers in Capture One?

Steve Hendrix/CI
Yes, shooting to a card works well. And you may have saw I can even transfer images from the card in camera via the cable plugged into the back.

Leaf drivers are installed.

Geoff

Steve -

He got the back from me .... and while I haven't used it much in some time, it did tether. That said, it wasn't easy - usually some cable or adapter would cause a hiccup. I found it easier to just use a card. But it did work.... probably back with C1 v. 9, into a Mac portable with a Firewire 800 slot.

Geoff

Steve Hendrix

Steve -

He got the back from me .... and while I haven't used it much in some time, it did tether. That said, it wasn't easy - usually some cable or adapter would cause a hiccup. I found it easier to just use a card. But it did work.... probably back with C1 v. 9, into a Mac portable with a Firewire 800 slot.

Geoff

Good to know, Geoff.

Leaf backs can be a bit ... temperamental. Can I get an Amen!

I would try and minimize the number of connections/adapters, etc. in the chain as much as possible. If you can, try it on another computer, that can rule out things.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Perhaps I'll try and FW400 to USB or TB adapter. That is the only way I'll be able to go directly into the iMac.
There is no such thing as a FW400 to USB adapter. There are (very rarely) cables that have those two ends, but they were literally only used to charge very early iPods; such cables do not provide any connectivity.

LR does not support tethering to any Leaf or Phase One back.

Leaf Capture and C1 are your two options, and C1 is the clear favorite.
Yeah C1 is what I'm mainly working with here. I'm surprised I can't get it to tether as it prompts me to import card images when I hook it all up.

I believe I have a FW800 to TB adapter, so I'm going to try my cable through that... I'm hoping to use the back for film scanning so tethering would be ideal.

Steve Hendrix

Yeah C1 is what I'm mainly working with here. I'm surprised I can't get it to tether as it prompts me to import card images when I hook it all up.

I believe I have a FW800 to TB adapter, so I'm going to try my cable through that... I'm hoping to use the back for film scanning so tethering would be ideal.

I would remove the card from the back when tethering, if you haven't already.

If you try the FW to TB adapter and have no luck, again at that point, you might try eliminating some variables, try different cable, try different computer, etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Just to update, got it working!

First I had to set the back to only accept power from the camera battery. Then I think for some reason I had to install Leaf Capture, as that worked before C1 did. However, after starting up C1, that showed it was working too. I'm not sure what changed frankly, but something must have. It's working like a charm now.

I'm using a FW800-800 cable into an OWC Thunderbolt 2 powered dock, which is equipped with an FW800 port.

My "relatively poor man's" digital back scanning rig is well on the way to fruition. Just wish that Cultural Heritage edition of C1 was a bit more attainable! :ROTFL: