The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tilt/Shift option for Leica S

danlindberg

Greg, I have worked with shift photography for my interiors for many years. Main setup has been Rodie 32 + Alpa Max + Credo 60 back. Not extremely wide for interiors, but both me and my clients have been satisfied with truthfulness of perspective and feel of size. (always had the option to flatstich for a wider angle of view) Just about every exposure with shift involved. It has been fundamental to my photography.

I do not have this setup anymore. Long story and not relavant here, but I have been forced to build a setup around a Hasselblad X1D. I invested in a XCD 21 and have had it for less than two weeks. I have completed three assignments with this combo. A Profoto A1 for fill.

Do I miss shift. Hell yes. If I put this new combo at my usual height, I need to point it downwards for logical composition and obviously perspective falls drastically and simply looks terrible also after different variations of intelligent post production.
The compromise is to lower height of cam and either shoot perfectly straight or have a very moderate angle of cam pointing off level.

So, it is a different way of attacking a scene. I am certain that there will be many situations where I need to compromise above my own standard, but it is what I have to work with.

On the positive side is that the optical performance of the XCD 21 is exceptional. Critically sharp to the edge of the frame. It is wide enough to give me headroom for adjustments and perspective-cropping in post. And I can expose for outside and use fill-in flash with the A1 at any shutter speed. Not too shabby, really.

Here is an example where before I would most probably have cam higher and a down fall of 5-6mm. Now, I am physically lower and shooting straighter, it works, its a compromise, but in the end few clients can tell the difference!

What I am trying to say is that, when one does not have the 'perfect' setup for a given assignment, one needs to adjust, rethink and make the most of it and think/plan for the whole chain and I am sure that quite often you can come a long way. In other words, if you do not find a good (wide enough) enough shift solution for your S - then maximize your workflow with a fixed superwide!

Greg Haag

Morning

I left a large S system a few years back for exactly the issue you are having, I got a large architecture contract which I just couldn't get the S to perform on. The 24 I really struggled with, had 3 copies of the lens and simply couldn't get sharo corners on any, in the end Leica said they couldn't get it better, this was a few years ago so maybe they have tweaked the design.

In the end I went to a tech camera and costed the project to cover the change, I lost a lot from getting rid of the S because it's still my favourite camera, but it just couldn't do what I needed. I now have a GFX, extremely sharp lenses, much easier to use all round, far cheaper, wider shooting envelope but to be honest, as a package the S is a better camera from an image output point of view when shooting within its sweet spot.

Sorry no real suggestions!

Mat
Mat,
Thanks for the feedback! On your architectural work today, do you still use the technical camera with a digital back or one of the other options available on the GFX, such as, the Canon adapter with the Canon 24mm T/S?
Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Greg, I have worked with shift photography for my interiors for many years. Main setup has been Rodie 32 + Alpa Max + Credo 60 back. Not extremely wide for interiors, but both me and my clients have been satisfied with truthfulness of perspective and feel of size. (always had the option to flatstich for a wider angle of view) Just about every exposure with shift involved. It has been fundamental to my photography.

I do not have this setup anymore. Long story and not relavant here, but I have been forced to build a setup around a Hasselblad X1D. I invested in a XCD 21 and have had it for less than two weeks. I have completed three assignments with this combo. A Profoto A1 for fill.

Do I miss shift. Hell yes. If I put this new combo at my usual height, I need to point it downwards for logical composition and obviously perspective falls drastically and simply looks terrible also after different variations of intelligent post production.
The compromise is to lower height of cam and either shoot perfectly straight or have a very moderate angle of cam pointing off level.

So, it is a different way of attacking a scene. I am certain that there will be many situations where I need to compromise above my own standard, but it is what I have to work with.

On the positive side is that the optical performance of the XCD 21 is exceptional. Critically sharp to the edge of the frame. It is wide enough to give me headroom for adjustments and perspective-cropping in post. And I can expose for outside and use fill-in flash with the A1 at any shutter speed. Not too shabby, really.

Here is an example where before I would most probably have cam higher and a down fall of 5-6mm. Now, I am physically lower and shooting straighter, it works, its a compromise, but in the end few clients can tell the difference!

What I am trying to say is that, when one does not have the 'perfect' setup for a given assignment, one needs to adjust, rethink and make the most of it and think/plan for the whole chain and I am sure that quite often you can come a long way. In other words, if you do not find a good (wide enough) enough shift solution for your S - then maximize your workflow with a fixed superwide!

Dan, thank you for taking the time for the detailed response! What you have suggested seems to be my most likely solution.
Thanks again,
Greg

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Anytime someone says “digital back on a tech camera” they should probably say “cmos back” or “ccd back”. I have people walk through the doors of our test studios all the time that say “I’ve heard using a digital back on a tech camera is tedious/hard/whatever.

There is a profound difference between using a tech camera with a 11 year old sensor like the one in the Credo 60 and using a tech camera with an IQ4 150mp (with a lot of points in between). Of course the price is also different. The point is that an Arca R and IQ4 and an Arca R with 60mp CCD back have almost nothing in common regarding workflow; they use fundementally different methods for framing, focus, exposure, dark frame, LCC, and post image evaluation and have very different final image quality characteristics.

At DT we saw a trend away from tech cameras in the mid 2010’s. With the release of the IQ3 100 (with shutter based electronic shutter) we saw that trend reverse and now post-IQ4 launch we’ve seen tech camera interest surge again. Notably it’s not just some previous tech camera users going back to them, but first time tech camera users who have never used a tech camera or view camera before.

The price of the IQ3 100 (currently on promo) has never been lower. At the high end the IQ4 is the best back ever made for a tech camera. At the low end the Fuji 50R can be used, with some limitations on the wider end, on some tech cameras.

I truly believe we are in a new era for tech cameras. Their fundamental advantage never went away; it was only the technology for image capture that decreased their ease/simplicity/utility. Now that the technology is there people are rediscovering the fundemental advantages.

Greg Haag

Anytime someone says “digital back on a tech camera” they should probably say “cmos back” or “ccd back”. I have people walk through the doors of our test studios all the time that say “I’ve heard using a digital back on a tech camera is tedious/hard/whatever.

There is a profound difference between using a tech camera with a 11 year old sensor like the one in the Credo 60 and using a tech camera with an IQ4 150mp (with a lot of points in between). Of course the price is also different. The point is that an Arca R and IQ4 and an Arca R with 60mp CCD back have almost nothing in common regarding workflow; they use fundementally different methods for framing, focus, exposure, dark frame, LCC, and post image evaluation and have very different final image quality characteristics.

At DT we saw a trend away from tech cameras in the mid 2010’s. With the release of the IQ3 100 (with shutter based electronic shutter) we saw that trend reverse and now post-IQ4 launch we’ve seen tech camera interest surge again. Notably it’s not just some previous tech camera users going back to them, but first time tech camera users who have never used a tech camera or view camera before.

The price of the IQ3 100 (currently on promo) has never been lower. At the high end the IQ4 is the best back ever made for a tech camera. At the low end the Fuji 50R can be used, with some limitations on the wider end, on some tech cameras.

I truly believe we are in a new era for tech cameras. Their fundamental advantage never went away; it was only the technology for image capture that decreased their ease/simplicity/utility. Now that the technology is there people are rediscovering the fundemental advantages.
Thanks Doug, this is just not the solution that interest me.