The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ2 series live view with a technical camera

bomzi

Does anyone have a video of how live view would work on the IQ2 series and a technical camera?

I've been using a P45+ with an RM3Di and love the results. The work flow is frustrating though and I'm having trouble with the firewire connection to my laptop for tethered shooting. It keeps disconnecting and then I waste lots of time getting it to work. And it does not have live view.

I'm hoping that a shift to the IQ2 series backs would give me usable live view and the USB connection will be a more stable, and future proof, way to tether.

Thanks.
Randhir

Paul2660

No Video to share, just a lot of field use with both a rm3di and XF. IQ160,180, 280 150 250 and IQ3

Any P1 IQ2 CCD back, 260, 280 will suffer in the outdoors with Live View, you can expect constant screen blooming and hangs. If you use a very strong ND filter in you might be able to get some reliable focus but it's trying to say the least. If you are going to stay in the CCD lineup, you might as well look at the IQ1 line, 160, 180 as their Live View performance is the same as the IQ2 CCD backs.

Any P1 IQ2 CMOS back, 250, or the 150 and 350, all handle Live View as any modern DSLR does. View is stable, constant and allows for a very good manual focus for a Arca style camera with the helical style focus.

Same can be said for the IQ1 100 MP (has less features than the IQ3) and or IQ3 100 MP backs.

If you working indoors under controlled lighting, the CCD backs can work with Live View as shown in a P1 video released many years ago. You still see the slow responses when zooming in and out and occasional blooming, but nothing like working outdoors where it's basically impossible to work with. (unless early morning or very late sunset)

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

Does anyone have a video of how live view would work on the IQ2 series and a technical camera?

I've been using a P45+ with an RM3Di and love the results. The work flow is frustrating though and I'm having trouble with the firewire connection to my laptop for tethered shooting. It keeps disconnecting and then I waste lots of time getting it to work. And it does not have live view.

I'm hoping that a shift to the IQ2 series backs would give me usable live view and the USB connection will be a more stable, and future proof, way to tether.

Thanks.
Randhir

You'll have USB and a substantially improved LCD that might mitigate having to tether in some situations. But live view, as Paul noted, is difficult to use in the best situations. It is not an easy formula for a P45+ owner looking to upgrade, if their budget cannot accommodate an IQ3 100 (now listing at $17,990!).

For budgets below $10K:

P45+ has 2 legacy advantages: 1) great long exposure that is not matched by 40mp/60mp/80mp IQ series CCD-based models. 2) superior shift tolerance, even with legacy Schneider lenses.

50mp CMOS backs have much better LCD screen, great live view, great long exposure. But smaller sensor size and less tolerance for shifts.

60mp/80mp CCD-based backs have much better LCD screen and larger sensor size. But somewhat less tolerance for shifts and live view is challenging.

So one key metric is going to be how much you shift in your work. That will determine a lot with regard to your future path.

Some tough choices have to be made in this realm if your budget doesn't reach $17,990 (or above for an IQ4 150 ...). Though you seem to be a long term investor, so maybe the higher end models might be an option for you.

Steve Hendrix/CI

bomzi

Paul and Steve, thank you for the great advice. The members of this forum continue to be very generous with their time and knowledge and I am grateful.

I do use shift a lot in my work as an architectural photographer. The main reason for wanting usable live view is to be able to compose easily and accurately. The RM3Di is so accurate which is well suited for the way I like to compose coming from a 4x5 background. (Actually, now I am also considering an Arca 4x5 just to have the same level of accuracy)

My older Canon 6D with the 24 TS-e lens has been great to work with and I miss the immediate feedback that you get from the live view or the 4x5 ground glass.

Anyway, lots to think about! Thanks again.

Randhir