The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ pink cast in highlights problem

Alex Matiash

Hi all. First of all - I'm sorry for posting it all over the internet, I'm just trying to get any bit of information regarding my problem, so excuse me, please.

I have strange issue with P65+ - last stop in lights has strong pink tint. I want to stress from the very beginning:
- it is not overexposure (proved by C1 itself and RawDigger - bad range is only present in last stop before overexposure, i.e. from ~25K in terms of pixel value)
- it is not lens cast
- it is not lens shift cast
- light is from ~14:00 clear sky sun, and it is not glare, I've taken many shots of colorchecker at the same conditions and I know what I'm doing.

Problem is a bit strange: starting from some brightness all colors have pink cast. It is not very strong, but visible, and especially obvious when trying to set white balance using gray patches of color checker: with problematic patches WB becomes green. Also it prevents any software from creating custom profiles.

I talked to P1 support, but they told me that it is normal and back is fully ok, while it is surely don't.

I found old thread here about the same issue, but advices and suggestions from there are useless, unfortunately:
https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17676

Issue example (exaggerated to illustrate better):

Raws of color checker for anybody who wants to play, there are different exposures and ..363.iiq have only white patch problematic, all gray are ok.

pink issue

So my question is - does anybody have\had such issue, and if it is resolvable - how to fix it? For now I can use that back while not using last stop in highlights, but for me it means I can't use it at all, as I'm shooting only landscapes.

Paul2660

During my use of the IQ260 (I realize not the P65+), but similar as I never did know if P1 used a different chip in the 260 vs 160 vs p65+. I know that 160 and P65+ were the same chip.

Net, I had the exact same issue with my 260 after it was sent to P1 for another issue. All my highlights were pink. This was with either tech camera or XF. I sent the back in via warranty, and dealer US Digital Transitions. With help from dealer P1 re-calibrated the back, and issue was gone. But it did have to go back to Denmark, not the US repair center.

As your back is out of all warranty, there would be cost involved, but P1 should agree to re-calibrate it.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Looks very much like the symptoms of a back that requires “linearization calibration”. It’s a pretty obscure issue, but entirely understood. Your dealer can provide the standard test to confirm this, and can arrange for the repair. They can also provide a workaround in case the repair cost is not economical for you, or an upgrade offer to a more recent back.

Note that support for Phase One hardware is meant to come first and primarily from your dealer.

Alex Matiash

Paul2660, dougpeterson, thank you very much!

Your dealer can provide the standard test to confirm this, and can arrange for the repair. They can also provide a workaround in case the repair cost is not economical for you, or an upgrade offer to a more recent back.

Note that support for Phase One hardware is meant to come first and primarily from your dealer.
Unfortunately I bought this back as second hand, and there is no Phase One dealer or service in my country (formally there is one dealer, but they seems to be inactive as they do not respond via phone and email), so I have to contact Phase One service by myself. Could you please give me rough estimate how much this calibration may cost? Also as there is no Phase One service in my country, I would like to know - is it possible to send my back to service in Denmark by myself (EMS, UPS, etc.)? Or they work only with local services?

Last edited:

Pemihan

Paul2660, dougpeterson, thank you very much!

Unfortunately I bought this back as second hand, and there is no Phase One dealer or service in my country (formally there is one dealer, but they seems to be inactive as they do not respond via phone and email), so I have to contact Phase One service by myself. Could you please give me rough estimate how much this calibration may cost? Also as there is no Phase One service in my country, I would like to know - is it possible to send my back to service in Denmark by myself (EMS, UPS, etc.)? Or they work only with local services?
Create a support case at phaseone.com and they will help you with dealer support or if there's no dealer in your country suggest other means of how to proceed.

Peter

Alex Matiash

Create a support case at phaseone.com and they will help you with dealer support or if there's no dealer in your country suggest other means of how to proceed.
Right now Phase One support still have not agreed that my back has any issue, so I have to persuade them first.

Paul2660

Right now Phase One support still have not agreed that my back has any issue, so I have to persuade them first.
That is really tragic. They know about the issue. Can you send them some raw files taken with a phase one camera? It was very clear in my back anything in the 235 to 255 range on the histogram was pink. So a pure white over exposure showed as pink.

My dealer at the time was instrumental in getting P1 to fix my 260 even though the problem arose after the back was serviced by P1 for a different issue. As I was mainly using tech camera at the time I got a lot of push back from P1 stating it was due to the tech camera. Only after I reproduced the problem with my XF and Mamiya lenses did I get the issue considered.

Dealers are very important with a problem and it’s a primary reason I was always sourced new or used via that channel.

Paul C

Alex Matiash

That is really tragic. They know about the issue. Can you send them some raw files taken with a phase one camera? It was very clear in my back anything in the 235 to 255 range on the histogram was pink. So a pure white over exposure showed as pink.

My dealer at the time was instrumental in getting P1 to fix my 260 even though the problem arose after the back was serviced by P1 for a different issue. As I was mainly using tech camera at the time I got a lot of push back from P1 stating it was due to the tech camera. Only after I reproduced the problem with my XF and Mamiya lenses did I get the issue considered.
It was the first thing I did, when I realized that P1 support doesn't believe me, and tries to persuade me that it is normal behavior. I provided sample raws shot with P1 DF+ and P1 120 Macro.
I found something like official dealer of P1 in my country, and now I'm in the beginning of new "it is calibration issue, YES I'M SURE" persuading process.