The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Dm22 in 2019?

nutmeg

Hi everyone!

Today I saw im a shop a Mamiya 645df + dm22 + 80/2.8mm lens for 1200€.
This is not little money but this is an amount I could spend for trying an MF system and maybe complement my Leica M9.
For more money I probably never have looked at an MF system. I 'm very happy with the M9 and the different lenses cover almost all my phototgraphic needs in the everyday life.
But now, as a curious collector, I could experiment something else...

How does a DM22 performs in 2019? Do you guys think this model is kind of obsolete compared to the nowadays digital standards?
Would the DM22 be a good "first" MF system or should I wait to have more cash one day and take a better one?

Thanks for your inputs!

BTW, if you guys have some pictures made with this camera, please don't hesitate to post ;-)

B L

Hi everyone!

This is not little money but this is an amount I could spend for trying an MF system and maybe complement my Leica M9.
For more money I probably never have looked at an MF system. I 'm very happy with the M9 and the different lenses cover almost all my phototgraphic needs in the everyday life.

How does a DM22 performs in 2019? Do you guys think this model is kind of obsolete compared to the nowadays digital standards?
Would the DM22 be a good "first" MF system or should I wait to have more cash one day and take a better one?

Thanks for your inputs!

BTW, if you guys have some pictures made with this camera, please don't hesitate to post ;-)
Performance in 2019? I think it should perform same as when it was new, but it shouldnt be compared with anything made in recent years.
It seems very reasonably priced, so, I think you should go for it. You will find it will outperform M9. I had M240 body which I swapped for H3D complete with 80mm,two batteries and many other things, and never regretted.
There is a thread here "fat pixel digital backs" where you might find photos uploaded by members using same or backs with similar sensors.
Regards.

Pemihan

As B L writes the DM22 is just as good as when it first came out, maybe even better due to the great improvements in Capture One (which by the way is free to use with this back)

I think the price of the kit you are looking at is great, so IMO go for it if you wanna get your feet wet in Digital MF but beware what it can lead to :bugeyes:

I started out with exactly the same kit that you are looking at and made many great images with it. Here's a few examples, I'll try to dig up some whit higher resolution later.
http://www.petermisfeldt.com/petermisfeldt-tg.html
http://www.petermisfeldt.com/petermisfeldt-tf.html

Peter

Abstraction

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your inputs!

Read this before plopping down your cash on an old back

https://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/photography/mfdb-guide.html

BANKER1

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your inputs!

My H3D 22 probably produces the best images of any digital camera I have ever owned. Sadly, it sits idly by as I use my X1D for most of my images. I haven't had the heart to sell my camera for pennies on the dollar, and it holds a soft spot in my heart as an old friend. I moved on to an H4D60 and often wondered why I didn't just stay with the H3D 22. It needed a new sensor cover, and Hasselblad had said they wouldn't work on that age camera, but to my surprise, they replaced it without issue. However, you need to be very careful dipping your toe into MFD, because you can get sucked in very easily.

By the way, I sold my Leica M240 and lenses to fund the X1D. It seems Leica just wasn't for me. For 1,200 Euros, it may be a small price to pay to see if MFD is for you.

Greg

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi everyone! Today I saw im a shop a Mamiya 645df + dm22 + 80/2.8mm lens for 1200€.
You're making what is, in my opinion, the most common mistake of people getting into medium format for the first time.

You notice some "deal" and then evaluate if it's the right camera for you. Instead, I strongly suggest researching what the right camera is for you, and then look for a deal on that camera. A "great price" on the wrong solution is still a bad deal.

The DM22 could absolutely be the best choice for you in this budget range, out of the dozen or so options. But what are the chances that this happens to be the camera you would arrive at if you started with the world of possibilities and then narrowed in on what suited your needs/wants/priorities/budget etc? This is especially important since it's very likely this 1200€ will not be the last money you spend in medium format and changing platforms is expensive.

None of this is a comment on the DM22 which was a perfectly fine back for its era and within this budget. Generally I preferred the bullet-proof Phase One P series, but I'm obviously biased.

Nor is any of this to say you can't go this way and be perfectly happy. I just see the flip-side of the equation very often; maybe 1 out of 4 people who walk through the door for an appointment at our test studios are there because they bought into a system because they started their process by finding a "great deal" which turned out not to suit their shooting style. Especially when you consider your time, that can be a costly mistake!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I recently bought a P30+ to test on my Horseman Digiflex II and it has an exposure count of 337,505! I know it doesn't really mean anything but is that a record? :toocool:
Not even remotely a record. But definitely toward the higher end of common experience.

shlomi

I had a Mamiya Leaf 22mp in its time.
The price you saw is quite good.
However, there are a couple of problems with DM22 today:
- It is gives good results only in strong lighting. Either good flashes or good sunlight.
- 22mp is small compared to what we are used to now. If you're not cropping your images, that's shouldn't be a problem.
- The Mamiya / Leaf brand has since been terminated. This model is two generations before they stopped making them, so pretty old. While I believe it's still supported, there's no telling when that support will end. P1 had already stopped supporting Leaf Aptus generation I backs, and this is a Leaf Aptus generation II back. I think continued support is very important, in case your back ever malfunctions, you want to be able to fix it. I would recommend a basic Phase One back under the Phase One P brand, or even better P+, I believe they will continue to support these for a good while.

Sarnian

I would recommend a basic Phase One back under the Phase One P brand, or even better P+, I believe they will continue to support these for a good while.
My dealer thinks that Phase One might stop supporting the P/P+ backs sometime in 2020. Just his hunch.

Steve Hendrix

My dealer thinks that Phase One might stop supporting the P/P+ backs sometime in 2020. Just his hunch.

Service officially ended for P backs as of April 11, 2019.

This does not affect P+ models at this point in time, which are still serviced.

Steve Hendrix/CI