The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Half Black Frames IQ4 and Sync Cable

eisbaer

Hi,

finally got my IQ4 12 pin Sync Cables this week. ;-) On the first shots I noticed that I get sometimes half Black Frames as with a wrong Flash Sync time. Not a soft gradient as with a flash but a real edge.

ES was off, I woke up the Camera with the Phase One Wake up Cable and connected this with the new 12pin to mini-jack Sync Cable to the Back.
Shot with an Alpa STC and a Rodie 40mm HR and a 1/250s or 1/500s. Other images in the same series with exact the same settings are fine.
Is there something to pay attention to if waking up the back, like have to wait at least x seconds after wakeup before releasing the shutter?

Thanks
Frank

190406_Zugspitze_003.jpg190406_Zugspitze_004.jpg

rsinclair

Hi,

finally got my IQ4 12 pin Sync Cables this week. ;-) On the first shots I noticed that I get sometimes half Black Frames as with a wrong Flash Sync time. Not a soft gradient as with a flash but a real edge.

ES was off, I woke up the Camera with the Phase One Wake up Cable and connected this with the new 12pin to mini-jack Sync Cable to the Back.
Shot with an Alpa STC and a Rodie 40mm HR and a 1/250s or 1/500s. Other images in the same series with exact the same settings are fine.
Is there something to pay attention to if waking up the back, like have to wait at least x seconds after wakeup before releasing the shutter?

Thanks
Frank

View attachment 140733View attachment 140734
Hi Frank,

I encountered the same issue, although mine were not as abrupt/sharp-edged. The captures were more like an out of sync shutter and flash; i.e., a smoother transition from properly exposed going to black. It was on image right side in Portrait and on top in Landscape. I messed with all kinds of settings in the back and I made a series of shots changing the speed a stop each time from 250 > 1. I'm not suggesting that solved anything but it hasn't been an issue since and so far so good.

I know this doesn't help much other than knowing you're not alone.

Cheers,
Robert

eisbaer

Hi Robert,

thanks a lot for the feedback. Good to know that this happens to someone else too, so I know at least that my Lenses are not defective, but its probably a sync problem with the IQ4.

If others have the same experience I would be happy to hear about, then we might open a case at Phase One. Maybe someone from CI or DT has already customer feedback to this issue.

Frank

Jeffrey

I've skipped using the cables on my Cambo/IQ4-150/Rodenstocks and simply use the 2-second shutter delay on the back. I'm not encountering any vibration issues.