The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exposure Simulation with ES off on IQ4 - Set Time anyhow?

eisbaer

Hi,

did yesterday the first shoot with my new sync cables. For this I switched the ES off and noticed then that I can't tell the back which time I set on my Rodenstock lenses, so the Exposure Simulation always had the same suttertime so the Live View always was a pure white.
Is there a way to set the shuttertime on the back so Exposure Simulation works with the Shutter of Technical Cameras?

Thanks
Frank

Paul2660

Hi,

did yesterday the first shoot with my new sync cables. For this I switched the ES off and noticed then that I can't tell the back which time I set on my Rodenstock lenses, so the Exposure Simulation always had the same suttertime so the Live View always was a pure white.
Is there a way to set the shuttertime on the back so Exposure Simulation works with the Shutter of Technical Cameras?

Thanks
Frank
Interesting point, I guess you would have to switch to the Auto mode? As that would over look a need for shutter speed. That is how all previous tech cameras and IQ backs worked as that was the only option. I aways just switched the lens over to wide open with the switch on the copal, then let the back auto adjust to the ambient light.

But for issues like this, I guess you would have meter with ES, ON, to get exposure simulation to work?, then switch ES off and use the best shutter speed you had when metering with the ES on, setting that to the shutter on the Copal, remembering to only meter full stops as that's all the copal can use.

Paul C

eisbaer

Hi Paul,

thanks for the feedback. My thoughts were similar as yours. But its not quite a streamlined workflow, to activate ES, measure with Exposure Simulation, deactivate ES and then finally shoot.
I hope this is something Phase has on their To Do List for a firmware update.
Or maybe somebody has a solution we overlooked.

Frank