The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H5 - The Rest of the Story

dave.gt

Wow!

In between projects now with Studio INSPIRE! But at least, I am getting some camera therapy in and learning more about the Studio's H5D-50c. In fact, I am learning so much that I can see an H5X in my personal use future. Why? It has something to do with interchangeable data backs but I will leave that for a subsequent thread.

For now, this thread is about my experience with the H5D-50c and FILM BACKS!

I am entering a new chapter of the Hasselblad! With all the attention given to the excellent X1D, I see little discussion about the H6D! That is a shame, really. The trend is for lighter, smaller bodies and more bells and whistles. OK, I get that. But the only the modular design of the likes of an H camera can provide a choice of formats both digitally AND film.

Coming from a film background, I am astounded by not only the images produced with the H camera and the lowly 80mm lens, but I am enamored with the experience of shooting with film in the H camera! It is absolutely more fun than I have ever had shooting film. The camera is a seamless shift to film by merely detaching the DB and attaching the film back. Operation is smooooooooth and satisfying. I forget that I don't have a screen to look at and then smile.... who needs a *$%^*!%$ screen? LOL... a smile is constantly on my face when I am shooting with the film backs.

Preparation has included buying black and white film and color film at Wings Camera here in Atlanta. But, I was given almost 200 rolls of expired film from a local professional who has kept it in the freezer all this time. I am shooting 120, 220 and 35mm rolls from that batch and I am just about to send a few of my 120 and 220 Ektachrome rolls off for E6 processing and scanning! Can't wait to see the results.

In the meantime, I just loaded up on fresh Ilford 120 and placed a lot of rolls of TriX in the backpack. With two film backs, I will keep one for black and white film and the other dedicated for color.

One has to admire and relish the modularity of the Hasselblad H system. I think it gets forgotten and it should really be embraced.

While I await my processing, it would be great to see who else is using the H system with film! Come on, you know you want to, and if you are shooting with film, please join in the discussion and post your results.

For those who have never tried film in an H camera, you owe it to yourself to give it a try!

Previously posted last year after my own developing and scanning at home (I went for a little grain in developing just because..:thumbup:):
Hasselblad H5D-50c 80 2.8 with film back.

Sculpture Piedmont Park 2018 FINAL getdpi.jpg

Shot the same day on Freaky Friday at Piedmont Park in Atlanta:
Hasselblad H5D-50c 80 2.8 digital back.

MidTown Freaky Friday 3 2018 FINAL getdpi.jpg

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

Wow!

In between projects now with Studio INSPIRE! But at least, I am getting some camera therapy in and learning more about the Studio's H5D-50c. In fact, I am learning so much that I can see an H5X in my personal use future. Why? It has something to do with interchangeable data backs but I will leave that for a subsequent thread.

For now, this thread is about my experience with the H5D-50c and FILM BACKS!

I am entering a new chapter of the Hasselblad! With all the attention given to the excellent X1D, I see little discussion about the H6D! That is a shame, really. The trend is for lighter, smaller bodies and more bells and whistles. OK, I get that. But the only the modular design of the likes of an H camera can provide a choice of formats both digitally AND film.

Coming from a film background, I am astounded by not only the images produced with the H camera and the lowly 80mm lens, but I am enamored with the experience of shooting with film in the H camera! It is absolutely more fun than I have ever had shooting film. The camera is a seamless shift to film by merely detaching the DB and attaching the film back. Operation is smooooooooth and satisfying. I forget that I don't have a screen to look at and then smile.... who needs a *$%^*!%$ screen? LOL... a smile is constantly on my face when I am shooting with the film backs.

Preparation has included buying black and white film and color film at Wings Camera here in Atlanta. But, I was given almost 200 rolls of expired film from a local professional who has kept it in the freezer all this time. I am shooting 120, 200 and 35mm rolls from that batch and I am just about to send a few of my 120 and 220 Ektachrome rolls off for E6 processing and scanning! Can't wait to see the results.

In the meantime, I just loaded up on fresh Ilford 120 and placed a lot of rolls of TriX in the backpack. With two film backs, I will keep one for black and white film and the other dedicated for color.

One has to admire and relish the modularity of the Hasselblad H system. I think it gets forgotten and it should really be embraced.

While I await my processing, it would be great to see who else is using the H system with film! Come on, you know you want to, and if you are shooting with film, please join in the discussion and post your results.

For those who have never tried film in an H camera, you owe it to yourself to give it a try!

Previously posted last year after my own developing and scanning at home (I went for a little grain in developing just because..:thumbup:):
Hasselblad H5D-50c 80 2.8 with film back.

Shot the same day on Freaky Friday at Piedmont Park in Atlanta:
Hasselblad H5D-50c 80 2.8 digital back.
I like this post and love the images. I have seriously thought about getting my Rollei operating again, but I just don't think I can live within the constraints of film again. Props to you Dave!

dave.gt

I like this post and love the images. I have seriously thought about getting my Rollei operating again, but I just don't think I can live within the constraints of film again. Props to you Dave!
Haha! I totally understand.:)

It is rather different, isn't it? Somehow, I find the "constraints" are the most endearing reasons for shooting film. Of course, it also offers a certain amount of freedom when I load it, shoot it, and develop it on my own, giving me a feeling of mastering a craft and when I open the file and see those gorgeous negatives/slides, I feel closer to the moment I made each shot.

That said, I don't think I should ever get into large format with those HUGE, gorgeous negatives and slides. Dante surely resides there!:bugeyes:

The experience of shooting film in a Hasselblad H camera is good enough for me.:):):)

Velvia Starr's Mill FINAL square July 2018-2 getdpi.jpg

dave.gt

And then I have a vision, so in seconds, I switch to the digital back... just in time to catch this:

IMG_2765.JPG

Or go for a walk with long exposures in mind:

The Sinks FINAL 12x12 Oct 2018.jpg

And upon my return, I load some 220 Ektachrome...

Well, you get the idea.:thumbs:

dave.gt

Hasselblad makes my life so much more interesting with a single camera that allows me to shoot MFD and any variation of 120 and 220 film whether it be one of many choices for black and white film, color film, or those magnificent Medium Format transparencies!

Thank you, Hasselblad!!!:thumbs:

Summergrove Lake Pano July 2018.jpg

The H1 and H2 remain quite popular among wedding photographer shooting film. They're not as popular as the Contax 645 as you don't have the creamy dreamy 80/2 Planar, but the lower price of kits and great AF system attract a number of folks.

The lenses are sharp as hell! Plus the AF is great. It's too bad they didn't make it 6x6. I probably would have owned an H camera years ago, but my love of 6x6 kept me waiting until I could get a Hy6, and I haven't regretted that decision.

dave.gt

The H1 and H2 remain quite popular among wedding photographer shooting film. They're not as popular as the Contax 645 as you don't have the creamy dreamy 80/2 Planar, but the lower price of kits and great AF system attract a number of folks.

The lenses are sharp as hell! Plus the AF is great. It's too bad they didn't make it 6x6. I probably would have owned an H camera years ago, but my love of 6x6 kept me waiting until I could get a Hy6, and I haven't regretted that decision.
Who needs 6x6?:):):)

Just kidding...

Steve Hendrix showed me how to make a square mask for the H5. I compose within the square and crop in post-processing or, sometimes not.

Sure, I would love to see a square sensor digital back. Or at least one that could yield different formats but I am delighted with the flexibility of HB cameras like the H5.:thumbs:

P. Chong

Totally agree. The H for shooting film is under-rated. Here is my ancient H3D with film:

D1000010.jpg
Tokyo Station. Ilford HP5. HC 4/80.

Apologies for rotated pic of the Imperial Palace, Tokyo. Don't know how to delete or rotate it.

Attachments