The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Aperture only Option

vjbelle

I have received an email from Linhoff Studios informing me that Rodenstock will be offering an Aperture only option for their Large format lenses. This will be a welcome option for me. For some it would not work out especially if flash is required.

Victor

Paul2660

I have received an email from Linhoff Studios informing me that Rodenstock will be offering an Aperture only option for their Large format lenses. This will be a welcome option for me. For some it would not work out especially if flash is required.

Victor
Yes that means that their supply of copal 0 shutters is finally drying up.

Paul C

vjbelle

Sure does but no matter to me. Global shutters are around the corner and mirrorless solutions are here now so I have no need for the copal shutter. My order has been placed for the 90mm (finally) aperture only. Should be here maybe by June.

Victor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sure does but no matter to me. Global shutters are around the corner and mirrorless solutions are here now so I have no need for the copal shutter. My order has been placed for the 90mm (finally) aperture only. Should be here maybe by June.

Victor
I do not expect fully global shutters on high-end cameras before ~2023 at the earliest. That’s a long “corner”

Paul2660

Victor
Please share some pictures. Curious how it will look without a copal. And how aperture adjustments will be made.

Paul C

Paul2660

The only Global shutter in a working consumer camera is with the DJI racing edition googles. 1 2/3 sensor fully global shutter. Had to use it for reaction time response while in flight.

Paul C

beano_z

So I guess you’ll have to put on a lens cap for the “dark frame”? I assume the aperture only version won’t have a device to fully close lens as a shutter would be able to do.

But on the other hand, I’m a big fan of having things simplified, less mechanical components means less stuff to break!

vjbelle

I don't know if some sort of device will be incorporated to block light. As I think about it probably not. A small inconvenience when I would use my 3100 and of no consequence for my Fuji.

Victor

Edit: I use the Lee Seven5 filter system on all of my Large format lenses and placing a lens cap in front of the lens adapter is simple and faster than fiddling around with the copal 0 shutter to take the dark frame. No light leakage whatsoever......

Last edited:

danlindberg

I'm waiting for mine :thumbup: I have used the same but in normal Copal configuration so I know exactly how it renders.
What I am so much looking forward to is the possibility to large movements with the Max and X1D. 20+ mm should be perfectly doable!
I am seeing landscape panos, flatstitching all the way left and right as a very nice possibility. And for that application, then a 90 is perfect!

The bonus is 300 grams....omg! The downer only a mere 5 blade aperture!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm waiting for mine :thumbup: I have used the same but in normal Copal configuration so I know exactly how it renders.
What I am so much looking forward to is the possibility to large movements with the Max and X1D. 20+ mm should be perfectly doable!
I am seeing landscape panos, flatstitching all the way left and right as a very nice possibility. And for that application, then a 90 is perfect!

That’s the legacy Schneider aperture mount, not the forthcoming Rodenstock aperture mount.

f8orbust

A long time ago I was told by someone at S/K that they manufactured the helicals used by R/S.

Like I said though, that was a long time ago.

Jim

TheDude

Rodenstock recommends as a working aperture for their Digaron lenses f/5.6 (for some Digaron also f/8) in order to limit diffraction and to obtain maximum resolution. This is often only one stop from maximum aperture.

I wonder if one could get by using a fixed aperture (at best working aperture) if there is another way to get the required depth of field. A variable aperture has lost a lot of its usefulness.

CAMBOUSA

I can't say too much since I don't have one in my hands yet, but I do have enough information to say this is a brand new aperture only mount. Not the older SK version shown on the Alpa solution below.

We should have more information to share publicly soon. And shortly before that our dealers will receive the pricing and availability information.

Right now Cambo will be offering the lenses without a mount for use with the Actus cameras, as well as in our WRS mount for tech cameras!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Rodenstock recommends as a working aperture for their Digaron lenses f/5.6 (for some Digaron also f/8) in order to limit diffraction and to obtain maximum resolution. This is often only one stop from maximum aperture.

I wonder if one could get by using a fixed aperture (at best working aperture) if there is another way to get the required depth of field. A variable aperture has lost a lot of its usefulness.
Diffraction is not a hard-wall limit; it's just something to keep in mind. At the extreme end, for example, it's a great reason why you should avoid f/32 in almost any situation with almost any modern digital camera.

But very often the (incredibly small) loss of detail that results in stopping down from f/5.6 to f/8 is a totally worthwhile (very small) compromise in exchange for more depth of field and greater confidence of focus in the field. Even at 150mp our raw file testing indicates f/13 or f/14 (along with the diffraction correction tool in Capture One and proper sharpening) will often be a reasonable choice even for those making large prints in scenes were homogeneity of focus is more important than an A++ of pixel detail and focus stacking is not an appropriate tool.

TheDude

Even at 150mp our raw file testing indicates f/13 or f/14 (along with the diffraction correction tool in Capture One and proper sharpening) will often be a reasonable choice even for those making large prints in scenes were homogeneity of focus is more important than an A++ of pixel detail and focus stacking is not an appropriate tool.

Thanks for sharing this information. This trade-off between overall sharpness and depth of field is certainly nothing new.

Have you checked how Digaron lenses perform at their maximum aperture.

I assume, the technical camera market is too small to hope that PhaseOne might introduce an aperture shutter that also ties in (wireless) with their digital back.

narikin

Sorry to rain on your parade but it won't manage double horizontal stitches. The image circle is just not big enough for that. It can just about do a double vertical stitch, with a bit of vignetting in the corners that will not correct out., and needs cropping. And don't count on great resolution right out at the edge. The only way to get full coverage and great resolution is with the 90 HRSW, but that's a different beast.

Edit: Ahh, if you are talking about crop MF, like in Fuji and Hassy, then maybe it will. Didn't realise that what you meant. For full frame mf though, double horizontal is not possible.

danlindberg

I see you re-read the post! That's the point - with the smaller sensor in X1D I can, in theory, go all the way 20 left and 20 right with the Schneider.
Now, I don't know how much it will degrade in resolution but I will do tests to mark my own standard of limit for flatstitching landscape-panos. Maybe the real world limit is 15....I'll let you know :thumbup: