The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Aperture only Option

f8orbust

There are loads of old enlarging lenses on ebay (some for under $20) fitted with the same S/K aperture only mechanism that Alpa is currently using. Maybe add a few bucks for some shims, and I reckon you could convert those Sinar lenses for use with a DB with an ES for under $50 a pop (and you'd need to relabel the aperture values depending on the lens used).

vjbelle

I am sure that the spacing between the lens pieces is very critical. I remember reassembling one of my lenses and by mistake taking a very thin shim (maybe 3/100mm) and putting that shim in front of the rear lens assembly increasing its distance to the front lens assembly. That threw off focus by a noticeable amount. That shim was intended to be used as a 'washer' between the lens mounting ring and the lens mount.

Victor

f8orbust

In all the LF lenses I've mucked about with, I've only ever come across shims once - in a 72 IIRC. Shims probably have more to do with manufacturing tolerances of the copals than the front/back lens groups - i.e. better to err on the side of making the copal too narrow, which can then be adjusted for with a shim or two, than too thick, which couldn't easily be rectified.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We have received our first Rodenstock lens with the new Rodenstock aperture-only mount. I hope to take some pictures and provide a review tomorrow.

CAMBOUSA

Hey all, wanted to share these publicly now that I can.
WRA-2023_WRC_w.jpgWRA-2023_01w.jpg

Here are two photos of the new Aperture Only mount (When combined with a Cambo WRS Lens Panel they will be referred to as the WRA-XXX, in this case the above lens is a WRA-2023).

Lenses are already slowly making their way to the factory in this new mount, and soon will be available across the line.

Doug asked me today about pricing information for retrofitting existing lenses into this new mount. As soon as I know more I will make sure all of the US dealers are briefed.

TheDude

We posted our review/primer on the Rodenstock Aperture-Only Mount

*Must is a strong word. For 99% of use cases this is true. However, it is technically possible to use the Rodenstock Aperture Mount without a Sensor-Based Electronic Shutter. On any P1 back you can use the wakeup architecture to manually start and end exposures with the main caveat being that the sensor must be in the dark prior to the end of the exposure.
You also could use the lens cap for starting and stopping the exposure (if necessary use ND filter).:salute:

vjbelle

I received the lens yesterday (2 days from London to my front door). The aperture is 9 blades and operates very smoothly and is continuous. F stop numbering ends at f22 but the aperture closes beyond that. It appears to be extremely well made with very tight physical tolerances - unlike Copal 0 shutters.

I've attached a quick iPhone image......

Victor

Attachments

Peegeenyc

You also could use the lens cap for starting and stopping the exposure (if necessary use ND filter).:salute:
You can also use an Alpa Focal Plane shutter solution - the Silex or FPS. No need to be restricted to ES, with its slow sweep times, and rolling shutter.

CAMBOUSA

Just got word this morning that Rodenstock has officially begun shipping these in masse as well.

This means that for any Cambo users (and likely other companies as well) your local dealer can now begin ordering these lenses in the new mount.

I'm already working with a couple of my dealers to get orders in as quickly as possible!

TheDude

F stop numbering ends at f22 but the aperture closes beyond that
Rodenstock recommends as a working aperture for most Digaron lenses ONLY f5.6. For some Digaron lenses also f8 is recommended.

I wonder, why not simply have a fixed aperture of f-stop 5.6?

Is anyone still stopping down lenses for depth of field?

Paul2660

Rodenstock recommends as a working aperture for most Digaron lenses ONLY f5.6. For some Digaron lenses also f8 is recommended.

I wonder, why not simply have a fixed aperture of f-stop 5.6?

Is anyone still stopping down lenses for depth of field?
Most definitely.

Paul C