The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Aperture only Option

vjbelle

Hopefully the aperture only mount will be available for purchase in the future just like a copal shutter is now.

I can't imagine why a copal 0 mount would be 'weak' for a Rody 32..... its not like there is much spacing but the mounts themselves were/are prone to misalignment.

Victor

tcdeveau

Hopefully the aperture only mount will be available for purchase in the future just like a copal shutter is now.

I can't imagine why a copal 0 mount would be 'weak' for a Rody 32..... its not like there is much spacing but the mounts themselves were/are prone to misalignment.

Victor
I think the misalignment potential is what people mean when they say the copal 0 mount was weak, esp with the Rodie 32. My impression is that when misalignment happened with the copal 0 mount, it was more than a trivial issue to correct once the availability of copal 0 shutters went down, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The traditional Copal shutter was borderline too physically weak to hold the large 32HR front element in proper alignment. I say borderline because most people found it to be just fine, but some of the customers that we’ve seen need a repair are not the kind to be careless with their gear, which strongly implies that damage could occur due to shaking/shocks that fall well short of negligent. We began advising our 32HR clients to watch out for this potential issue (eg packing it with extra padding, not leaving it mounted when relocating a tripod, especially for long distances, etc) and have seen a steep decline in repairs since then.

This issue stood out to me mainly because the other medium format gear we sell are built like a rock (recall the phase one series where they elevated a truck on four digital backs, baked a back in the oven, and froze an back in dry ice; no issues) and don’t really need to be babied, and the 32HR on a Copal shutter seems to be an exception to that requiring more precaution in use and travel.

As mentioned in our article (https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/t...ve-the-king-the-end-of-the-copal-shutter-era/) Rodenstock considered this factor in designing the new Rodenstock Aperture Only Mount and designed it to be significantly more robust than a Copal shutter in this regard.

TheDude

The traditional Copal shutter was borderline too physically weak to hold the large 32HR front element in proper alignment. I say borderline because most people found it to be just fine, but some of the customers that we’ve seen need a repair are not the kind to be careless with their gear, which strongly implies that damage could occur due to shaking/shocks that fall well short of negligent. We began advising our 32HR clients to watch out for this potential issue (eg packing it with extra padding, not leaving it mounted when relocating a tripod, especially for long distances, etc) and have seen a steep decline in repairs since then.
Thank you for sharing your observations with us.

Not hard to imagine that Copal shutter "0" was never designed to hold such a heavy lens element.