The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone compare the IQ4150 against the IQ3100 Achromatic?

algrove

I would very much like to know if the IQ4150 color converted to B&W comes close to (or equals) an IQ3100 Achromatic file. i.e., side by side comparison done by changing backs while leaving most other variables unchanged (except for ISO and exposure) of course. Using native ISO would be with the IQ4150 at 50 and IQ3100 Achromatic at 200.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Dante does not approve; clearly the answer to the question IQ3 100mp Achromatic vs IQ4 150mp (color) is the IQ4 150mp Achromatic :)!

Jokes aside, DT completed today a 100mp Achromatic vs 100mp Trichromatic (color) comparison that usefully shows the advantages of using a good monochrome camera vs a good color camera: detail, noise, and gradation, artifacts, and the option for infrared capture. You can contact us for raw files.

The increase in detail is modest in most subject matter (though can be significant in specific kinds of subject matter). If I had to stick a number on it I'd estimate 10% for most subject matter and 15-20% for subject matter where the bayer filter is especially problematic. so I suspect an IQ4 150mp will out-resolve an IQ3 100mp Achromatic in almost all real-world situations.

The difference in noise, gradation, and artifacts are independent of resolution so I suspect those advantages would persist. And of course the option for infrared capture is a topic separate from 150mp vs 100mp.

DT has both the backs you reference (IQ3 100mp Achromatic and IQ4 150mp color) and would be glad to assist anyone in the US with any comparisons they wish to make.

algrove

Used a friend's IQ4150 against my 100 Achro and I just might opt for the 150 Achro, but my methods could be suspect. Achro files are just beautiful.

Pemihan

Used a friend's IQ4150 against my 100 Achro and I just might opt for the 150 Achro, but my methods could be suspect. Achro files are just beautiful.
Just curious, what makes you opt for the 150 Achro? I have more than enough in the 100 Achro (famous last words), loads of details and plenty of room to crop and still make big prints (big enough for me anyway)

algrove

Just curious, what makes you opt for the 150 Achro? I have more than enough in the 100 Achro (famous last words), loads of details and plenty of room to crop and still make big prints (big enough for me anyway)
See my PM

RLB

I feel one thing that's critical and being overlooked in this discussion is the quality of the output print. Assuming most didn't buy a $40k-$50K back just to look at files on their screen.
We are making amazingly beautiful 40"x 60" B&W prints from the IQ4 back (non Achro) and could go far larger without quality loss. Once one has a great image and has processed it correctly there is much work to be done (no different than the days of a wet darkroom) in tuning it for proper output, paper choice, rip choice, printer choice, etc., etc. and after 25 years of printing for museums and galleries I can honestly say that in my opinion there is far more latitude and quality to be gained (or lost) in the output "stage" that could be gained in going from an IQ4 to an IQ4 Achro on the front end for the capture stage for B&W prints. If Phase wants to send me an IQ4 Achro I'm more than happy to take a more scientific approach to this. ;)

Robert

algrove

My achromatic 100 MP prints show remarkable detail and tonal ranges. I can tell the difference between my 100MP color and 100MP achro prints.

That said I can only believe the 150Mp Achro prints will have even better tonal range which some mention mainly comes from the BSI sensor more than the added MP. One new user comments that his 150 Achro has "more easily discernible separation between tones" versus his 100MP achromatic. This for me could tend to make my images better than ever in print.

Pemihan

100mp Trichromatic vs 100mp Achromatic testing mentioned earlier in thread:
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/b...-100mp-achromatic-vs-iq3-100-mp-trichromatic/
Hi Doug, thanks for the comparison. You write that "One additional topic to mention is that the Achromatic allows superior infrared shooting capabilities (if you order it with a clear internal filter vs. the standard IR-cut filter"
but as far as I know the Achromatic backs come with the clear filter as standard. At least mine did..

Peter