Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone compare the IQ4150 against the IQ3100 Achromatic?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone compare the IQ4150 against the IQ3100 Achromatic?

I would very much like to know if the IQ4150 color converted to B&W comes close to (or equals) an IQ3100 Achromatic file. i.e., side by side comparison done by changing backs while leaving most other variables unchanged (except for ISO and exposure) of course. Using native ISO would be with the IQ4150 at 50 and IQ3100 Achromatic at 200.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone compare the IQ4150 against the IQ3100 Achromatic?

These two blog posts don't compare the IQ3 Achromatic, but they give quite a good feel for the relative increase in spatial resolution the IQ4 150MP provides, both with a Schneider 35mm LS f/3.5 lens on an XF camera body, and on a Cambo WRS-5000 with a Rodenstock 4/32mm HR Digaron-W lens.

http://jefflubeck.net/2019/01/28/the...s-it-worth-it/

The PHASE ONE IQ4 151MP Camera System: Technical Camera and IQ4 150 | Jeff Lubeck

Christopher Campbell
    www.cbcampbell.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dante does not approve; clearly the answer to the question IQ3 100mp Achromatic vs IQ4 150mp (color) is the IQ4 150mp Achromatic !

Jokes aside, DT completed today a 100mp Achromatic vs 100mp Trichromatic (color) comparison that usefully shows the advantages of using a good monochrome camera vs a good color camera: detail, noise, and gradation, artifacts, and the option for infrared capture. You can contact us for raw files.

The increase in detail is modest in most subject matter (though can be significant in specific kinds of subject matter). If I had to stick a number on it I'd estimate 10% for most subject matter and 15-20% for subject matter where the bayer filter is especially problematic. so I suspect an IQ4 150mp will out-resolve an IQ3 100mp Achromatic in almost all real-world situations.

The difference in noise, gradation, and artifacts are independent of resolution so I suspect those advantages would persist. And of course the option for infrared capture is a topic separate from 150mp vs 100mp.

DT has both the backs you reference (IQ3 100mp Achromatic and IQ4 150mp color) and would be glad to assist anyone in the US with any comparisons they wish to make.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Used a friend's IQ4150 against my 100 Achro and I just might opt for the 150 Achro, but my methods could be suspect. Achro files are just beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Used a friend's IQ4150 against my 100 Achro and I just might opt for the 150 Achro, but my methods could be suspect. Achro files are just beautiful.
    Just curious, what makes you opt for the 150 Achro? I have more than enough in the 100 Achro (famous last words), loads of details and plenty of room to crop and still make big prints (big enough for me anyway)
    Peter
    My website
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Just curious, what makes you opt for the 150 Achro? I have more than enough in the 100 Achro (famous last words), loads of details and plenty of room to crop and still make big prints (big enough for me anyway)
    See my PM

Post Thanks / Like

I feel one thing that's critical and being overlooked in this discussion is the quality of the output print. Assuming most didn't buy a $40k-$50K back just to look at files on their screen.
    We are making amazingly beautiful 40"x 60" B&W prints from the IQ4 back (non Achro) and could go far larger without quality loss. Once one has a great image and has processed it correctly there is much work to be done (no different than the days of a wet darkroom) in tuning it for proper output, paper choice, rip choice, printer choice, etc., etc. and after 25 years of printing for museums and galleries I can honestly say that in my opinion there is far more latitude and quality to be gained (or lost) in the output "stage" that could be gained in going from an IQ4 to an IQ4 Achro on the front end for the capture stage for B&W prints. If Phase wants to send me an IQ4 Achro I'm more than happy to take a more scientific approach to this.

Robert
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My achromatic 100 MP prints show remarkable detail and tonal ranges. I can tell the difference between my 100MP color and 100MP achro prints.

That said I can only believe the 150Mp Achro prints will have even better tonal range which some mention mainly comes from the BSI sensor more than the added MP. One new user comments that his 150 Achro has "more easily discernible separation between tones" versus his 100MP achromatic. This for me could tend to make my images better than ever in print.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

100mp Trichromatic vs 100mp Achromatic testing mentioned earlier in thread:
    https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/bl...-trichromatic/
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    100mp Trichromatic vs 100mp Achromatic testing mentioned earlier in thread:
    https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/bl...-trichromatic/
    Hi Doug, thanks for the comparison. You write that "One additional topic to mention is that the Achromatic allows superior infrared shooting capabilities (if you order it with a clear internal filter vs. the standard IR-cut filter"
    but as far as I know the Achromatic backs come with the clear filter as standard. At least mine did..

Peter
    Peter
    My website