The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50 Year Anniversary -Apollo 11 on the Moon

dave.gt

Herr is a topic that should make you feel good all over and give you something to dream about over the weekend:

It has been 50 YEARS!!!!!!:salute:

That is amazing! 50 years since humans first walked on the Moon! And, I remember watching that on our television as it happened. It was such a wonderful happening because we were mired in the hell known as the Vietnam War at the time, and for something this great to have occurred, well, it gave us all hope for the future.

***(Side note: I am not sure if that hope has ever been realized but upon reflection, it may have been the precursor of the ultimate in "urban sprawl". Yes, we humans are now planning many visits to the Moon and even to Mars. Mining, among other things is contemplated on the Moon.)***

Hasselblad was there when Apollo 11 made history. A giant leap for a camera company as well!

And now it is 50 years later, and a new camera awaits its debut. A special edition X1D?

I don't know, but the idea of a special edition is interesting!:toocool:

The history of this event is definitely cool!!!

If anyone hears of interesting events, products, books or memorabilia, just post here!:):):)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
When I was in college and living in the basement of the family home ......I had the HB moon photos hung up on my wall . My father was in the printing industry and his customer printed the official HB wall photos of Apollo 11 . We had a 500C and all the chrome lenses ...one of the first HB 500C available in the USA . Read every HB magazine cover to cover .

What a terrific legacy for HB fans . :clap:

hcubell

Herr is a topic that should make you feel good all over and give you something to dream about over the weekend:

It has been 50 YEARS!!!!!!:
Hasselblad was there when Apollo 11 made history. A giant leap for a camera company as well!

And now it is 50 years later, and a new camera awaits its debut. A special edition X1D?

I don't know, but the idea of a special edition is interesting!:toocool:

):)
The first landing was on July 20. Very propitious timing for the release of a special edition X2D.

dave.gt

NASA actually has film scans from the mission on the internet. You can download them and apply modern digital processing. For example, this is from Apollo 17:

You can go here for image files: https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums

Here are couple more I played with. Crater from Apollo 16:

Mountains from Apollo 15:

From Apollo 8:

Woohoo!!! Thanks, Will. Just got home from a looooonnnnngggg day trip. These are stunning images, now I can put them up on my Leica Cave wall!:):):)

Hmmmm....

The Leica Cave is slowly evolving into a Hasselblad Cave. Need to think about this...:facesmack:

I know the camera was pretty heavily modified as I'm sure were the mechanics of the lens. Does anyone know if the lens was pretty much the stock 50mm Distagon from the line up?

dave.gt

I know the camera was pretty heavily modified as I'm sure were the mechanics of the lens. Does anyone know if the lens was pretty much the stock 50mm Distagon from the line up?
Well, I cannot find anything written about the lens. Maybe someone else will find it.:thumbup:

RLB

If you are ever in St. Louis Missouri you can see one of the original Hassy Moon cameras at IPHF that is part of their special collections. The camera was not one that actually went to the moon, but one of only a very small number this highly modified camera that were produced. This particular camera was a "trainer" for the astronauts to use here prior to their trip to a get a good feel for the controls. If my recollections are correct the ones that went to the lunar surface were never brought back (only the film was) to save every once of weight.

Robert

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For movie fans - this is a very well known lens.

Here the link with further information LINK:

Greeting Gerd
One copy of which is currently owned by a DT client who uses the IQ3 100mp with ES. This lens had a very very short flange distance and so only the sensor-based ES of the IQ3 (at the time; now also on the IQ4) could use this lens the way they wanted.

Godfrey

My first Hasselblad 500CM was the black "Apollo Commemorative Edition" model from 1979. I should have hung onto it, but I sold it to a good friend. He still has it. :D

BTW: If you really want to see the Apollo 11 mission to best avail, find a showing of and go see the movie "Apollo 11" which was released earlier this year. It's an astonishing documentary assembled 100% from the NASA archive footage covering the entire mission. I would guess that 80% of the footage in it has never been seen in a broadly distributed public display before...!

G

P. Chong

Related to the Apollo 11, Omega released a the Anniversary Edition of the first watch worn by Armstrong on the Moon...I had it on my wrist last month in Biel during the launch event.

In case anyone is interested, I wrote a review of it here.

dave.gt

Beautiful watch, Peter! Stunning! Always wanted a Rolex, pre-owned, of course. So, yes, I really appreciate the art and craftsmanship of Omega watches. This one is very cool.:thumbup:

Loved the article.:cool:

From special edition watches to special edition cameras... the Hasselblads.

Trivia question!:grin:

***How many Hasselblad cameras are still on the Moon, left there by Apollo 11 astronauts?:):):)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
When NASA released high res scans of the Apollo 11 photos, the first thing I noticed on the famous Aldrin standing alone (with the very unlevel horizon) was that he was wearing a wristwatch! Most depictions of space technology look indistinguishable from 1969, but the Omega really dates it!

(You can zoom in on his right wrist...)
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/337294main_pg62_as11-40-5903_full.jpg

BTW, I consider that the best photo of all time, with the earth rise from Apollo 8 a close second.

And finally, Neil Gaiman tells a story about Imposter Syndrome that should let everyone off the hook:

Some years ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to a gathering of great and good people: artists and scientists, writers and discoverers of things. And I felt that at any moment they would realise that I didn’t qualify to be there, among these people who had really done things.

On my second or third night there, I was standing at the back of the hall, while a musical entertainment happened, and I started talking to a very nice, polite, elderly gentleman about several things, including our shared first name. And then he pointed to the hall of people, and said words to the effect of, “I just look at all these people, and I think, what the heck am I doing here? They’ve made amazing things. I just went where I was sent.”

And I said, “Yes. But you were the first man on the moon. I think that counts for something.”

:cool:

Matt

Steve Hendrix

When NASA released high res scans of the Apollo 11 photos, the first thing I noticed on the famous Aldrin standing alone (with the very unlevel horizon) was that he was wearing a wristwatch! Most depictions of space technology look indistinguishable from 1969, but the Omega really dates it!

(You can zoom in on his right wrist...)
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/337294main_pg62_as11-40-5903_full.jpg

BTW, I consider that the best photo of all time, with the earth rise from Apollo 8 a close second.

And finally, Neil Gaiman tells a story about Imposter Syndrome that should let everyone off the hook:

Some years ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to a gathering of great and good people: artists and scientists, writers and discoverers of things. And I felt that at any moment they would realise that I didn’t qualify to be there, among these people who had really done things.

On my second or third night there, I was standing at the back of the hall, while a musical entertainment happened, and I started talking to a very nice, polite, elderly gentleman about several things, including our shared first name. And then he pointed to the hall of people, and said words to the effect of, “I just look at all these people, and I think, what the heck am I doing here? They’ve made amazing things. I just went where I was sent.”

And I said, “Yes. But you were the first man on the moon. I think that counts for something.”

:cool:

Matt

That's interesting.

The watch is strapped around his wrist on top of his suit of course. So he had to put it there after he was all suited up and ready to go, not like he left it on his wrist out of habit and then got his suit on. I never thought about that, but it makes sense, he has to have some sort of time piece to reference, so ... why not a wrist watch?

Steve Hendrix/CI