The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50 Year Anniversary -Apollo 11 on the Moon

P. Chong

I recently had a chance to chat with Jim Ragan, who was in charge of all equipment in the Apollo and later Space Shuttle missions...including watches...and cameras. He told me that he used all cameras on the missions - from Nikon to Minolta, to Linhof and of course Hasselblad. If I remember right, he said only Hasselblads were used on the lunar surface. I am not sure if they left the cameras there, as to do that, they would have to remove the film first, and that would probably be very difficult given the space suit the astronauts wore.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If it were Leica, it would be a white version of the original with some Astronaut signatures engraved in gold. I hope Hassy has better taste.

Disclaimer: I have no problem with Leica’s jewelry business if it helps them fund real equipment.

Matt

algrove

They took back the 200 film backs leaving Hasselblad cameras and lenses on the lunar surface. In total 12 cameras and lenses are still up there for the taking.

Source Photopxls.com

richardman

And one "Data Camera" made it back to earth due to a bit of moon dust got into the camera and it wouldn't work so the astronauts took it back for analysis.

dave.gt

As sure as I am of the promise of the coming day, my mind still cannot comprehend what this world will be like on the 100th Anniversary, a mere 50 years and 18 days from now...

But I do think the 50th Anniversary honors a profound achievement for the human race overall. Some may have witnessed the glorious event personally and each year, fewer of us are still alive to bear witness to the event. A proud moment in history!

And of course, it is not without concerns for the future. Our contemporary problems with urban sprawl and environmental degradation on this planet will be surpassed with the ultimate concept of "sprawl".

So, this month, we celebrate more than just a moon landing or a national achievement. We celebrate a remarkable realization of the human spirit achieving a dream which was once thought to be impossible.:thumbs:

The countdown continues!

drunkenspyder

Screen grab of the moon landing from an 11" GE b&w TV that I had at the time.

I had finished grad school a month or so earlier and had made my way back to Greensboro, NC to work for Bell Labs. We had a single rented room with this TV positioned on a chair next to the bed.

Joe
I have an almost identical image, with less detail.

Godfrey

And today is the day, 50 years on, that Mankind first touched another planet. All of us, together. OMG! The whole world watched in awe and wonder, and was uplifted by that fact.

All the problems of the world were then as well as now, as well as for all the generations of history before and since. That will always be. And the true sadness of the Apollo missions, despite all that pushing to do this and creating all the technology and good stuff that it spawned which helps human beings live longer, be more productive, and look at the world and the stars around them with new insights, is that it ended and we haven't gone back or further yet.

But, g*****n it, we managed to do something incredible. We did something worth writing in the history of our species that no other species we know has done. And all the naysayers and querulous ambivalents in the world can moan and whine and whinge about whether we should have or not, but it doesn't matter at all: We managed to do it, and it was good, and it is amazing, and it brought all of us worldwide together for one shining moment of joy and wonder.

If that's not worth whatever it cost, then nothing is.

Onwards, always onwards...!
G

dave.gt

And today is the day, 50 years on, that Mankind first touched another planet. All of us, together. OMG! The whole world watched in awe and wonder, and was uplifted by that fact.

All the problems of the world were then as well as now, as well as for all the generations of history before and since. That will always be. And the true sadness of the Apollo missions, despite all that pushing to do this and creating all the technology and good stuff that it spawned which helps human beings live longer, be more productive, and look at the world and the stars around them with new insights, is that it ended and we haven't gone back or further yet.

But, g*****n it, we managed to do something incredible. We did something worth writing in the history of our species that no other species we know has done. And all the naysayers and querulous ambivalents in the world can moan and whine and whinge about whether we should have or not, but it doesn't matter at all: We managed to do it, and it was good, and it is amazing, and it brought all of us worldwide together for one shining moment of joy and wonder.

If that's not worth whatever it cost, then nothing is.

Onwards, always onwards...!
G
Absolutely agree!

Now, I wonder as we celebrate this fantastic event, albeit with the jaded generations we are, what will be the next inspirational and amazing event that will bring us all together?

I hope this was not the last!:thumbs:

richardman

Journey Planet is a free "fanzine" - amateur magazines written for and by science fiction readers. This issue is dedicated to the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. Included is an article I have written on Hasselblad's roles in the early space program, including where to pick up the twelve Hasselblads left there so you can charter your own rockets to pick them up ;-) You can download the issue here:

http://journeyplanet.weebly.com/journey-planet/journey-planet-46-apollo-xi

Shashin

Those guys couldn’t get a level horizon to save their lives!

:LOL:
Well, they did not land on the north pole, but lower on the side of the northern hemisphere of the moon. Seesh, everyone knows the moon is not flat like the Earth!

JoelM

And today is the day, 50 years on, that Mankind first touched another planet.
G
The moon isn't another planet. When that happens, that'll be another spectacular achievement. Actually, I think that landing on the moon again will be sensational.

Joel

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The moon isn't another planet. When that happens, that'll be another spectacular achievement. Actually, I think that landing on the moon again will be sensational.

Joel
I find it very sad that we couldn't do this today, just like we can't fly supersonic airliners either.

Godfrey

LOL! The Moon was considered a planet for a couple of thousand years before the modern notions of what a planet is cast it out of that category and called it something different. Pluto, a much smaller celestial body, was also considered a planet until even more recent re-definition of the term cast it out of the club too.

I used the word "planet" more as a figure of speech than as a scientific datum. :D

It is kind of amazing to me how sensitive some folks are to what these things are called...

G