The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

afd II vs III shutter lag?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Correction: I put the film back on my AFD II. Almost no shutter lag. A joy! But I don't shoot film anymore...

Put on my P45 back: Shutter lag reappears. When you depress the shutter (with P45 back on) you hear a little "zzzt zzzt" noise in the camera and then shutter fires. Almost like the camera wants to refocus, but doesn't

Just found a used AFD III firmware 1.3 which I will send to Mamiya USA for updating and re-report.

Eric
I hate to say it but you will find the same exact thing. Drives me nutty. I call it the divisive moment!

T

faneuil

Well -- I am hopeful. I tried the AFD III before I sent it off for upgrade, and it already seems better than the AFD II shutter lag. It has been mentioned that the firmware of 1.3 and higher decreases shutter lag further.

Anyone know why there is so MUCH more sLag with the digital back compared to filmback?
Is it poor camera-back communication or an acutual limitation imposed by the digital back?

Eric

tashley

Subscriber Member
Well -- I am hopeful. I tried the AFD III before I sent it off for upgrade, and it already seems better than the AFD II shutter lag. It has been mentioned that the firmware of 1.3 and higher decreases shutter lag further.

Anyone know why there is so MUCH more sLag with the digital back compared to filmback?
Is it poor camera-back communication or an acutual limitation imposed by the digital back?

Eric

I don't have wide enough experience to answer that, sorry - but I do think it's a real minus for the system. On an AFD III with digiback, even with mirror lockup and manual focus, you'll still get the pzzzittt delay.

Grrr!

JimCollum

Correction: I put the film back on my AFD II. Almost no shutter lag. A joy! But I don't shoot film anymore...

Put on my P45 back: Shutter lag reappears. When you depress the shutter (with P45 back on) you hear a little "zzzt zzzt" noise in the camera and then shutter fires. Almost like the camera wants to refocus, but doesn't

Just found a used AFD III firmware 1.3 which I will send to Mamiya USA for updating and re-report.

Eric
i see the same thing with the film back on my AFD II. I use a Leaf 75s, and get the longer delay there as well

faneuil

Happy to report that the AFD III with v 1.5 firmware is MUCH better.
The shutter lag is much shorter I can say that the
camera with P45 is now a viable portrait solution for me.
In fact, just did a series of portraits yesterday with great results.

Mind you, a 5d still blows the doors off it when it comes to responsiveness, but that is apples & oranges.

Eric

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was just waiting for you to report this. Been through all three bodies and all the firmware upgrades on the III myself and it is a big improvement with 1.4 or higher. It could still be faster no question but it is a lot easier to work with now. Just for the record though we still need a new body and that is my message to Phase and they know it. LOL