The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

afd II vs III shutter lag?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is, but still not DSLR short. Best I can estimate is that the lag on the AFD3 with newer firmware is about half the lag on the AFD2 -- but make sure the AFD3 has current firmware as it did improve the shutter lag a bit.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yes it is, but still not DSLR short. Best I can estimate is that the lag on the AFD3 with newer firmware is about half the lag on the AFD2 -- but make sure the AFD3 has current firmware as it did improve the shutter lag a bit.
Minority report: I have the III and the lag is a royal pain: even with MUP and MF set, it still makes a noise like R2D2 scratching his *** before it'll condescend to take a shot. You'll only get the decisive moment if you're psychic. This has started to annoy me so much that I am using my P45+ back more and more on a cambo because there's no appreciable shutter lag with a Schneider!

faneuil

Sounds like the afd III is better but not great.
I will wait until I hear and/or get to see the new mamiya camera body.

I don't expect 5d lack of shutter lag but the shutter lag on the AFD II is just plain ridiculous. Especially when you've got a $14k back attached.. oy..
Makes me pine for my days shooting with a Hassy 500CM.

Eric

jdbfreeheel

My hope is that tashley is exaggerating a bit. My AFDIII still has a lag but it is much faster than the AFDII. My style is such that I've just taken it in account and press the shutter button a micro-second sooner than I do with my Sony a900.

Granted, on my Horseman, the Rodenstock has no shutter lag, so I guess it's all relative.

Can the AFDIII shutter get faster? YES Please. Is it abominable? Not in my opinion.

tashley

Subscriber Member
My hope is that tashley is exaggerating a bit. My AFDIII still has a lag but it is much faster than the AFDII. My style is such that I've just taken it in account and press the shutter button a micro-second sooner than I do with my Sony a900.

Granted, on my Horseman, the Rodenstock has no shutter lag, so I guess it's all relative.

Can the AFDIII shutter get faster? YES Please. Is it abominable? Not in my opinion.
I guess questions of exaggeration are all relative but my feeling is that with the mirror already up and focus already manually set, there's no excuse whatsoever for the quarter second of 'I'm trying to focus, oops, just remembered I don't need to' noises the camera issues. Granted, my work is mostly landscape type of stuff but in Iceland recently I was trying to catch waves breaking at very precise moments and it was really annoying! I can see why the shutter can't be as fast as an M8 but I can't see why it can't compete with a decent 35mm DSLR, especially with the mirror up. The most recent camera FW update was supposed to improve things but to me the difference was marginal.

faneuil

The AFD II (S)lag is just insane.
As an experiment I took my AFD II out on Sunday to take kid pics.
Ridiculous.. the kids could bob and weave out of the focal plane (or the whole frame) before the shutter actually fired. Feels like an eternity from trigger to capture.

Nope.. my AFD II is for landscape and product work only. For now.
Until that new phamiya body comes out (PLEASE!)

Eric

yaya

FWIW, I got a chance to test this, finally....

Aptus-II 6, tethered to 17" MBP:

AFDII, 80mm D, manual focus, set to Continuos drive, finger down: 47 frames/ 1 minute
AFDIII, 80mm D, manual focus, set to Continuos drive, finger down: 48 frames/ 1 minute

As a reference, AFi-II 6 (same sensor as the Aptus-II 6) with the same settings does 59 frames/ 1 minute (64 with mirror up).

Yair

Clawery

Tim: Which firmware do yo have in your Phase AFD3 body?
Jack has a great point. If you have the latest firmware for your AFD III, you will notice a decrease in shutter lag and an increase in the auto-focus speed.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

faneuil

Now RZ67? Re: afd II vs III shutter lag

Out of curiosity-- I've never shot with an RZ67.

I am looking to do handheld outdoor shooting but the AFD shutter lag is too much to bear.

How would an RZ67 feel?
Manual focus of course. But can you shoot aperture priority?
Sorry for the relatively newbie quality to this question.

Eric

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: Now RZ67? Re: afd II vs III shutter lag

Out of curiosity-- I've never shot with an RZ67.

I am looking to do handheld outdoor shooting but the AFD shutter lag is too much to bear.

How would an RZ67 feel?
Manual focus of course. But can you shoot aperture priority?
Sorry for the relatively newbie quality to this question.

Eric
It is true the RZ is fully mechanical on the release and so the "lag" is only as much as the time it takes you to complete the push motion (i.e. instant and tactile). Also A-Priority is certainly possible.

However, be fully aware this camera is a BEAST. Throw on the power winder and the Prism finder and you're looking at one big honking camera. If you haven't shot the AFDIII with recent firmware yet it's something you should do before looking at other more-exotic solutions to your problems.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

D

duncan.e

Excuse my ignorance, but is the shutter lag evident when using a film back, or just when using a digital back?

Duncan

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim: Which firmware do yo have in your Phase AFD3 body?
Hey Jack,

Sorry, didn't see this question when you posted it.

I have the current and latest version - it went back to Phase a few weeks ago... and I think there has been less shutter lag in normal use but in MUP use I haven't noticed a change. To be clear: I use MUP with single point AF and single rather than continuous mode. I then switch the lens clutch to MF, put the mirror up, wait for the tripod to damp and the moment to be right and then press the cable release. The body then makes a half to quarter second (I'm estimating here) whirring noise as if it's trying to AF, then takes the shot.

Best

Tim

EDIT: just looked it up: it's Version 1.5

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A FWIW comment on AF points...

I found that choosing just the center was both faster and more accurate focus with my AFD 2 body, however with my AFD 3 body, I find having all three selected is faster and very accurate --

:thumbs:,

J

jingq

question: how's the shutter lag on the AFD III compared to a H3D or H2 body?

faneuil

Excuse my ignorance, but is the shutter lag evident when using a film back, or just when using a digital back?

Duncan
Correction: I put the film back on my AFD II. Almost no shutter lag. A joy! But I don't shoot film anymore...

Put on my P45 back: Shutter lag reappears. When you depress the shutter (with P45 back on) you hear a little "zzzt zzzt" noise in the camera and then shutter fires. Almost like the camera wants to refocus, but doesn't

Just found a used AFD III firmware 1.3 which I will send to Mamiya USA for updating and re-report.

Eric