The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Low Profile/Anonymous Luggage or Bag Recommendations

Any recommendations for discrete looking bags/luggage?
Looking for a few different things -

I’m currently looking for a streetshooting backpack I can have on me all day, with an Arca or XF + IQ + 2 Lenses

Hardsided and Softsided checked luggage with a minimum 28.5” interior (have the big gitzo sticks to fly with). And I’d like to have both types of luggage, and would prefer it to be as light as possible.

I’m not a fan of anything that screams “GEAR”. I’d rather not be looked at by people, or customs.

Warranties are important on the higher cost stuff , unless cost is low, then I can just buy duplicates.

My carry on is taken care of via Think Tank. Unfortunately they don’t make any real checked luggage.

Thanks for any recs!

Red735i

I had to find the biggest bag ( sending it through the belly of the plane) for a recent trip that would set me over the size constraint of most airlines of a combined W+H+L of 62 inches.
It had to be light because I was carrying clothing, which is heavy. I found several choices, but also wanted a set of wheels to roll it around.
My solution was to use a Eagle Creek - No Matter What - Large Black Rolling Duffel Bag. It has an external size of 14x30x15 . Subtract about an inch for internal size. Weight is 2 pounds, 6 ounces. With wheels! It is a soft sided bag.
Check this bag's specs out yourself.... see if it will do what you want.....
See : https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Matter-Rolling-Duffel-Large/dp/B07574MCDH

I still have my bag, but would like to sell it..... so if it will do the job, send me a message and let's see if we can make a deal......

JohnBrew

I use an Osprey Shuttle 30. It will take your tripod and has large size wheels. I’ve flown internationally with it and it always came through without a scratch. I carried my RRS 33 in it with no problem. It also stands up straight without assistance which I consider a plus. Check it out on Amazon - they also have other Osprey options.
PM me if you’re interested, I no longer use it as I have opted for a smaller tripod.

Attachments

Last edited:

jerome_m

That may not be the best choice for a backpack, but for shoulder bags you can buy inserts. They are a sort of semi-rigid structure with movable partitions for photographic gear. Pretty cheap, too.
I put one of these in a shoulder bag which does not scream "gear bag".

RLB

NYA-EVO Hands down best backpack I've ever owned from a construction quality and design standpoint.

They ship from HK, but its very fast..got mine in less than a week for a minimal shipping charge.

Highly recommend.

Robert

Any recommendations for discrete looking bags/luggage?
Looking for a few different things -

I’m currently looking for a streetshooting backpack I can have on me all day, with an Arca or XF + IQ + 2 Lenses

Hardsided and Softsided checked luggage with a minimum 28.5” interior (have the big gitzo sticks to fly with). And I’d like to have both types of luggage, and would prefer it to be as light as possible.

I’m not a fan of anything that screams “GEAR”. I’d rather not be looked at by people, or customs.

Warranties are important on the higher cost stuff , unless cost is low, then I can just buy duplicates.

My carry on is taken care of via Think Tank check out Rockland Luggage Official Website. Unfortunately they don’t make any real checked luggage.

Thanks for any recs!
I've always used SKB bow cases and then pack a bag or two and I'm set. But I've got an upcoming trip that'll involve hunting and fishing and my wife! So it's going to be a lot of gear and I don't want to mess with taking a bunch of bags and I'd like to just have the bow case and then another single piece with wheels. I don't want the standard black airline roll around like everyone on the planet uses. And my job at work is changing a bit in that I'll likely be flying more often and needing to throw a bunch of gear in one bag and go. So I'm looking for a good piece that will last me.

So, recommendations for a big airline type piece of luggage for gear, camo, boots, fly reels, rods, flats pack, etc.

buildbot

It might be a bit mainstream, but I really like my peak design 30L backpack. I've carried it on planes with my IQ3, XF, MacBook Pro, Work Surfacebook, iPad, and several lens PLUS clothes before! I'm not kidding. You can fit in a ludicrous amount in that bag.

Pieter 12

WANDRD makes a backpack that takes a padded photo insert, the biggest one will hold a lot of gear and does not necessarily look like a photo backpack. And ThinkTank makes a number of roller packs that can be taken as carry-on or checked baggage.