The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need small rolling case for modest Medium Format kit

dave.gt

Oh...

If money were no problem, this would be my ultimate small kit roller case if fitted with an ICU.:)

https://zerohalliburton.com/products/geo-aluminum-3-0-17-wheeled-travel-case?variant=13789526130747

Maybe they can offer one without the dividers, or maybe they are removable for fitting an ICU.?

I sent an email inquiry to ZH for clarification of this:

"Small but mighty, this compact travelling office boasts a removable three compartment file section and a separate packing space to discreetly store a change of clothes. Its four oversized, high-performance wheels are recessed at each corner, making it easier to roll in the airport or train station, while the accordion-style interior is coated in a stain-resistant, non-abrasive lining"

Last edited:

algrove

Thanks Dave.gt. I am now looking at various rolling cases I could put the ICU into. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.
Dave
You might consider the Think Tank Airport International V3.0 which holds two F stop Small Pro ICU's. Depth varies from 7" to about 6" where the handle retracts into the bag. This rolling bag comes with lots of dividers for photo use in its price without having the extra expense of an ICU if you want to use it the way Think Tank designed it. The Think Tank website is very good in that they have a short video presentation on each bag thy make and how to use it.

gurtch

Hello all: First I want to thank everyone for their helpful and thoughtful suggestions. I especially thank Dave.GT who sent several private messages with great suggestions. This is what I ended up with:
1. F-Stop Medium Shallow ICU. Its advertised external dimensions are 5" deep, 11.5" width x 11". It is light and well made. Hard to find....the big NY dealers (B&H, Adorama) do not carry them. I paid
$11.00 over list price at Amazon (free shipping though).
2. Samsonite Underseat rolling carry on soft bag. I paid about $77.00 on ebay. It is the PERFECT size for the ICU. Advertised interior dimensions are 13"x 13"x 6.5".
This combination is PERFECT for my uses. Light weight, small, rolling, a few outside pockets for filters, etc. It is advertised as a women's bag, possibly because of it's diminutive size. I found cheaper ones (Walmart for example) but they were BIGGER--typically 16"x16". I did not want bigger.

Here are some snap shots of the combo.
Best to all
Dave in NJ
_DSC2697.JPG_DSC2699.JPG_DSC2700.JPG_DSC2701.JPG_DSC2702.JPG_DSC2703.JPG_DSC2704.JPG_DSC2697.JPG_DSC2699.JPG_DSC2700.JPG_DSC2701.JPG_DSC2702.JPG_DSC2703.JPG_DSC2704.JPG_DSC2705.JPG

D&A

Great detailed info Dave! Thanks for providing it. The F-Stop ICU's are immensely helpful and use them often within another case or inside a F-Stop backpack. By the way, love the official photographer's shooting outfit you're modeling. :) As always, looking forward to your posted images.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Great detailed info Dave! Thanks for providing it. The F-Stop ICU's are immensely helpful and use them often within another case or inside a F-Stop backpack. By the way, love the official photographer's shooting outfit you're modeling. :) As always, looking forward to your posted images.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks Dave! I had never heard of ICUs, they are VERY nice. Yes the official photographer shooting outfit is wonderful. It was 2:15 in the afternoon, and my wife of 60 years and I were still in our PJs..........shortly after, we changed in time to hit our local pub's 4PM Happy Hour. I am 5'-7" tall, so you get a feel for the bag size. Always great to her from you.
Dave

dave.gt

Hello all: First I want to thank everyone for their helpful and thoughtful suggestions. I especially thank Dave.GT who sent several private messages with great suggestions. This is what I ended up with:
1. F-Stop Medium Shallow ICU. Its advertised external dimensions are 5" deep, 11.5" width x 11". It is light and well made. Hard to find....the big NY dealers (B&H, Adorama) do not carry them. I paid
$11.00 over list price at Amazon (free shipping though).
2. Samsonite Underseat rolling carry on soft bag. I paid about $77.00 on ebay. It is the PERFECT size for the ICU. Advertised interior dimensions are 13"x 13"x 6.5".
This combination is PERFECT for my uses. Light weight, small, rolling, a few outside pockets for filters, etc. It is advertised as a women's bag, possibly because of it's diminutive size. I found cheaper ones (Walmart for example) but they were BIGGER--typically 16"x16". I did not want bigger.

Here are some snap shots of the combo.
Best to all
Dave in NJ
Woohoo!!!!

Fantastic, Dave!

Amazing that you got the perfect size.:):):)

Like you, everything I found at Walmart was bigger. I did see the Samsonite web page, but missed your bag somehow.:( I am so glad you found it!!!

I absolutely love the ICU system and you just created a whole new way to roll! F-stop or Samsonite should follow your lead!:thumbup:

gurtch

Dave (GT): I really think F-Stop is missing the boat by not offering a rolling exterior of different sizes to suit their ICUs. I think it would be a good seller. The PLUS side of the Samsonite is I could use it for clothes for light travelling, under the seat. The interior pouches /pockets snap out for removal, making it more roomy, if you do not need them.

I plan on putting the GFX 50R body, 23mm lens, 32-64mm lens and 100-200 lens (which is on back order) into the ICU. I also will be carrying a few filters, spare battery, cable release, and lens cleaning brush/tissue/liquid.
Best to all
Dave

gurtch

Today the back ordered Fuji 100-200mm lens arrived. It fit into my shallow medium ICU. In the case is a GFX 50R body, 23 mm lens with stowed (reversed) lens hood, 32-64mm lens with stowed hood, and 100-200mm lens with stowed hood. Also filters, etc. It is quite heavy, thank goodness it rolls. Thanks for all the help.
Dave

Mexecutioner

Great solution and better write up.

For a second I though the picture of you modeling your PJ's was at an airport lounge right before boarding and thought, "well maybe that's not a bad idea for my next long haul flight".