The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need small rolling case for modest Medium Format kit

gurtch

Hello all: I use a small and light Sony A7R II with lenses and this is no problem to carry it in a light bag over my shoulder. Because of open heart surgery and recent hip replacement, I sold my Pentax 645D equipment, as it was just too heavy for me. I now have a Fuji GFX 50R and 23mm lens and 32-64mm lens. I will be adding the Fuji 100-200 f5.6 lens, or may be carrying my Pentax manual focus 120mm Macro 645 lens. Even though the GFX 50 R is exactly half the weight of the Pentax 645, the lenses are heavy and I am looking for a rolling case so I can take the case out of the car and roll it to the site I will be photographing---I do seascapes mostly. I have had no luck finding a case. I do have an older Pelikan wheeled bag that is too big---it is about 18"x15"x8", and is wasted space and weight I do not need. Any suggestions? Most photographers need MORE space----I need less. TIA
Dave in NJ

dave.gt

Dave,

Interesting thought, going small.:thumbup: A couple of quick questions:
1. Do you have a space dimensionally speaking in mind? For instance would you be able to fit everything in one of the small or medium-sized ICUs by F-stop?

2. Do you need a hard case or will soft sides work for you?:)

3. What size wheels, larger ones or small?

There could be a few options based on the answers.:):):)

algrove

It might be worth looking around beach stores for something small with larger wheels. Come to think of it how about a cooler with sand wheels? Also gardening shops have fold up items that are light unto themselves and might offer a small 4 wheeled fold up garden cart.

Perhaps thinking outside the box is your answer.

gurtch

Thanks all for some great ideas...."thinking outside the box" as one suggested. I will check out all the options suggested!~
Dave

gurtch

Dave,

Interesting thought, going small.:thumbup: A couple of quick questions:
1. Do you have a space dimensionally speaking in mind? For instance would you be able to fit everything in one of the small or medium-sized ICUs by F-stop?

2. Do you need a hard case or will soft sides work for you?:)

3. What size wheels, larger ones or small?

There could be a few options based on the answers.:):):)
Thanks Dave. I had never heard of ICU by F-Stop. I used your link, and they would be perfect with their smaller sizes. I contacted them with their Instant Chat feature....and they do not have any rolling bags. Hard or soft case is OK. Small wheels also OK. I would not be actually taking my rolling bag on the beach. Roll the bag to our car. Drive to destination. Survey which lens I need, put it on camera, put camera on monopod (I use one often) and walk on the beach, possibly with another lens either in my jacket pocket (in colder weather) or photo vest. Even with the heavier 50R and Fuji lens the monopod and camera make a good "walking stick" in soft sand, and I make out OK. Attached is a recent shot made with that exact set up.
Best regards
Dave in NJ
d776 framed.jpg

Attachments

dave.gt

Thanks Dave. I had never heard of ICU by F-Stop. I used your link, and they would be perfect with their smaller sizes. I contacted them with their Instant Chat feature....and they do not have any rolling bags. Hard or soft case is OK. Small wheels also OK. I would not be actually taking my rolling bag on the beach. Roll the bag to our car. Drive to destination. Survey which lens I need, put it on camera, put camera on monopod (I use one often) and walk on the beach, possibly with another lens either in my jacket pocket (in colder weather) or photo vest. Even with the heavier 50R and Fuji lens the monopod and camera make a good "walking stick" in soft sand, and I make out OK. Attached is a recent shot made with that exact set up.
Best regards
Dave in NJ
View attachment 141065

Last edited:

algrove

Dave in NJ

Ok as I now have a better idea of your needs/plans. OK so here goes.

Based on my daily shootimg needs from home I use either:

1.) Think Tank Airport Airstream which holds at least one F stop ICU Small Pro with about 5" of extra space up front. Depth varies from 7" to about 6" where the handle retracts into the bag. This rolling bag comes with lots of dividers for use without having the extra expense of an ICU.

2.)Think Tank Airport International V3.0 which holds two F stop ICU Small Pro. Depth varies from 7" to about 6" where the handle retracts into the bag. This rolling bag comes with lots of dividers for use without having the extra expense of an ICU.

FYI One Small Pro ICU holds my Alpa STC with handle and a Phase back and HR40 attached, Light meter, cable release, Hoodman, 4 extra batteries, Lowepro QXD case holding up to 12 cards, HR 70 and soft hood and S-K 150 and hood plus HR40 soft hood. This all weighs in at about 12 lbs.

For packing less option #1 has plenty of space. Trust this helps.

Last edited:

gurtch

Dave in NJ

Ok as I now have a better idea of your needs/plans. OK so here goes.

Based on my daily shootimg needs from home I use either:

1.) Think Tank Airport Airstream which holds at least one F stop ICU Small Pro with about 5" of extra space up front. Depth varies from 7" to about 6" where the handle retracts into the bag. This rolling bag comes with lots of dividers for use without having the extra expense of an ICU.

2.)Think Tank Airport International V3.0 which holds two F stop ICU Small Pro. Depth varies from 7" to about 6" where the handle retracts into the bag. This rolling bag comes with lots of dividers for use without having the extra expense of an ICU.

FYI One Small Pro ICU holds my Alpa STC with handle and a Phase back and HR40 attached, Light meter, cable release, Hoodman, 4 extra batteries, Lowepro QXD case holding up to 12 cards, HR 70 and soft hood and S-K 150 and hood plus HR40 soft hood. This all weighs in at about 12 lbs.

For packing less option #1 has plenty of space. Trust this helps.
Thanks all: If I understand correctly, if I were to purchase an F-Stop "Shallow ICU-Medium" with internal dimensions of 4.5"x 11.5" x 10" ( I will lay out a cardboard template with those dimensions and lay my gear on it to insure it will fit), I could then put that "ICU" in any type of rolling carry on bag or cart. Correct?
TIA
Dave in NJ

dave.gt

Thanks all: If I understand correctly, if I were to purchase an F-Stop "Shallow ICU-Medium" with internal dimensions of 4.5"x 11.5" x 10" ( I will lay out a cardboard template with those dimensions and lay my gear on it to insure it will fit), I could then put that "ICU" in any type of rolling carry on bag or cart. Correct?
TIA
Dave in NJ
Essentially, yes!

It would help to put it in a case/cart/etc that is close to the width in dimensions otherwise it will not be a snug fit. The ICU is flexible with only a light cover that zips all around, so there is no frame or structure, just a very good and relatively stiff divider section.:)

gurtch

Essentially, yes!

It would help to put it in a case/cart/etc that is close to the width in dimensions otherwise it will not be a snug fit. The ICU is flexible with only a light cover that zips all around, so there is no frame or structure, just a very good and relatively stiff divider section.:)
Thanks Dave.gt. I am now looking at various rolling cases I could put the ICU into. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.
Dave

M

mjr

I stumbled upon a great solution about a year ago, I use 2 small pro ICU's for all my kit, that way I can take a small kit out or everything just by adding or removing an ICU. I found this case by Peak Performance..

https://www.peakperformance.com/ie/cabin-trolley-G63118001.html

It is light, extendable handle and is an absolutely perfect fit for the 2 small Pro ICU's, could have been made for it, also a laptop sleeve on the front, I now use it for all travel as it's carry on size too.

I have recently used it with both ICU's for a GFX kit with 4 lenses, plus with space for all my cables and stuff and laptop too, hard wearing, gets bashed about a lot in Iraq especially and hasn't got a mark on it. Works perfectly for me with the added bonus of not looking anything like a camera bag.

Might be worth a look, not sure of the size difference between the ICU's I have and you have.

Mat

darr

I use a Tenba Roadie II Hybrid Roller for my medium format kit which consists of an ALPA TC + Max; SK lenses: 28, 35, 47, 72 and 120; a Hasselblad CFV50c and various small necessities. The dividers are removed from the Roadie and the items are stowed in Gnass 4x5 Lens cases (no longer made) and the CFV50c is in a very small Pelican case. This all fits snugly in the Roadie, but I do not think it will wheel across the Florida beach where I live. I have had a few different wheeled cases over the years and most, if not all, could not handle the beach sand I am accustom to. Even my fat tire bike has trouble on the beach if I stray too far from a trail. So if I understand the OP's needs correctly, he needs a case to carry his gear to the beach or shore for seascapes -- I am guessing bigger wheels are needed.

M

mjr

Darr, on post #9 he says..

"Hard or soft case is OK. Small wheels also OK. I would not be actually taking my rolling bag on the beach. Roll the bag to our car. Drive to destination. Survey which lens I need, put it on camera, put camera on monopod (I use one often) and walk on the beach, possibly with another lens either in my jacket pocket (in colder weather) or photo vest"

Hence my suggestion, and why yours is equally valid too, no good for beaches though but not what he wants.

Mat

darr

Darr, on post #9 he says..

"Hard or soft case is OK. Small wheels also OK. I would not be actually taking my rolling bag on the beach. Roll the bag to our car. Drive to destination. Survey which lens I need, put it on camera, put camera on monopod (I use one often) and walk on the beach, possibly with another lens either in my jacket pocket (in colder weather) or photo vest"

Hence my suggestion, and why yours is equally valid too, no good for beaches though but not what he wants.

Mat
Thanks Mat for the clarification. I read what he said about his health needs, but did not read much else.
Hope your doing well with all your travels! Enjoy your work!

Darr

dave.gt

Dave,

After a lot of online searching (I personally might consider a small roll on myself down the road), it seems that a simple solution using one or two ICU cases in a lightweight roller case or bag is a good idea. The second good idea may be this 16"x15"x8" camera roller bag by Think Tank:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...Ch0_HQx_EAQYAyABEgIk_vD_BwE&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

It has lots of pockets and compartments for the smaller items. At 9lbs. maybe too heavy?

But I do like the removable ICUs for my backpacks! Ingenious modularity means I can have different configurations of gear and other items conveniently ready-to-go and easily placed in my backpack. (As a side note: F-Stop ultralight backpacks are small and very lightweight, only weighing 2 pounds! Maybe a consideration?)

A small lightweight carry-on would do just fine for the ICUs.

Wishing you the best of health with the challenges you have faced already. Camera therapy is really good for that, as you already know!:thumbup: