Site Sponsors

Thread: Is this interlacing?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this interlacing?

Hi
    I had strange artifacts in just one shot from hundreds with my Phase IQ1 50. Is this interlacing? Why does it occur?
    Here is a 100% Crop and the whole picture.
    Regards,
    Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	815.5 KB 
ID:	141225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	470.9 KB 
ID:	141226  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this interlacing?

Looks like you have some aggressive sharpening mitigated with halo suppression (amount 680 / HS 89). If you reduce the sharpening amount and halo suppression does it go away?

I tried your settings on a few images; although it generally looks ok it does create artifacts in some detail, especially patterns. What was the ISO? Perhaps C1 is on the border of creating artifacts with those process settings, and for some reason this one image pushed it over the edge...?

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

From the look of it, it is probably Moiré. That is caused by the lens outresolving the sensor, or more correctly transferring to much modulation (contrast) at the Nyquist limit.

If you can, try to reshoot the image at f/16. F/16 gives enough diffraction to reduce modulation.

24x36 mm cameras at below 36 MP resolution mostly have an OLP filter that splits the focused spot of light into four slightly offset points. That softens the image but avoids aliasing, at least to some extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Ben730 View Post
    Hi
    I had strange artifacts in just one shot from hundreds with my Phase IQ1 50. Is this interlacing? Why does it occur?
    Here is a 100% Crop and the whole picture.
    Regards,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Good point!

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Looks like you have some aggressive sharpening mitigated with halo suppression (amount 680 / HS 89). If you reduce the sharpening amount and halo suppression does it go away?

I tried your settings on a few images; although it generally looks ok it does create artifacts in some detail, especially patterns. What was the ISO? Perhaps C1 is on the border of creating artifacts with those process settings, and for some reason this one image pushed it over the edge...?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave
    Thanks for your reply.
    The artifacts are still there without sharpening. On an other picture they stayed at the same place, even when I shifted to the right.
    EIP file can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufntpjd0v5...27813.eip?dl=0
    Lens was Rodi 23 mm, f 11 with 10 mm shift down.

EIP file shifted 10 mm to the right and 10 mm shift down: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy1619jddu...27818.eip?dl=0

Regards,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben730; 3rd May 2019 at 05:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

From the look of it, it is probably Moiré. That is caused by the lens outresolving the sensor, or more correctly transferring to much modulation (contrast) at the Nyquist limit.

If you can, try to reshoot the image at f/16. F/16 gives enough diffraction to reduce modulation.

24x36 mm cameras at below 36 MP resolution mostly have an OLP filter that splits the focused spot of light into four slightly offset points. That softens the image but avoids aliasing, at least to some extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

Best regards
    Erik
    Hi Erik
    No, I can't shoot it again....
    But at this point in the image circle of the 23 mm Rodenstock it can't be too much sharpness of the lens. (10 mm shift down)
    Note, it's only in the green areas.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

also are you lacking channel information as it’s a pure green? that can’t help if there’s only single digit R and B info and a high G value, even more so if its 8bit and you have given it a big shove with curves/levels/exposure etc.

process it out flat in 16bit and then get the green areas the colour and brightness in PS that you want (tip, use the saturation in the vibrance tool instead of the saturation in HSB tool as it keeps individual channel values higher and less likely to posterise.)

From the look of it, it is probably Moiré.
    no, because the pattern is sensor/file related and regular, not akin to a detail in the subject which is flat colour. plus if you look it stays gridded across the green area in a regular way, you would expect it to change as the 90º angled surfaces of the subject change.
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression you couldn't get that much movement with the 23mm Rodie? I also recall that the 50mp CMOS can show some weirdness at the edge of the image circle with movements? Just thinking out loud and someone please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Learning that you were shooting with a shifted 23 mm and seeing the raw file, I think that what you see is 'mazing' caused by 'crosstalk' in the image. That problem is well known, and it arises on lenses with large beam angles.

The 44x33 mm sensor is quite sensitive to this.

But, there is a simple solution! Just process the image in Lightroom and all mazing disappears!

You can just try to use a different raw processor for the affected images and the problem disappears. Convert the images to TIFF and live a happy life!

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Ben730 View Post
    Hi Erik
    No, I can't shoot it again....
    But at this point in the image circle of the 23 mm Rodenstock it can't be too much sharpness of the lens. (10 mm shift down)
    Note, it's only in the green areas.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Tod is right in his assumption. If you did shift by 10mm with the RS 23 you went most likely outside of the comfort zone of the lens and sensor. I used to get this sometimes on my IQ3100 and RS32 combo if I shifted to far and certain circumstances were more prone to this than others. I forgot what the correct terminology is for this but it has a name. I hope you can retouch this.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The image below shows the part developed in Capture One (left) and Lightroom (right).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	141233

I guess that you are suing LCC to handle color cast. The Lightroom image doesn't show the mazing, but it is unusable due to the color cast.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your answers.
    I made a support case at Phase One and received quickly the answer below.
    Problem solved.

Regards,
    Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images