The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 double writing to XQD and tether laptop?

narikin

Tethering on location with my IQ4 I see my XQD card suddenly showing a red '0' and full up. Seems it was double writing to the XQD card and laptop together. Why? The IQ3 never did this.

I appreciate it may be a useful feature for some who want a backup, but it should not be on by default.
The only way I can get it not to do this is remember to pull the XQD card before tethering, (why should I have to do this?) or to go in the menu and disable XQD in 'Advanced' - not a good idea, as you'd have to navigate back re-enable it if you want to quickly shoot something untethered.

Argh. Am I missing something here, or is this another example of the beta nature of IQ4 firmware?

Paul2660

I would open a case with P1, and add it to the list of issues yet to be resolved,

No auto rotate on Vertical images,
Pulsing exposure Liveview, in non exposure simulation mode (pulsing between totally blown out and totally underexposed)
Playback cutting the image into 400% and 100% in a split screen display (requires reboot to stop)
Booting up with 2 solid red lights, back is frozen (happens at least once each shoot many times more than once)
Triple tap not bringing image back from 100% to 4% (happens about 1/2 the time for me)
Image display after shot defaulting to 100% instead of 4% and the 100% never clears up
Back freezing up during shoot and not completing writes has happens 2x to me 8 shots lost and 4 shots lost.
No ability to use the HDMI port for playback of images, only Live view (possible on any other brand camera I have used with HDMI support)

Lots of things, lots of loose ends that have been left untied now since first ship in December of 2018.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The ability to write to multiple locations was added based on strong customer feedback. In fact I would say it was in the top three requests that digital techs had, along with a longer cable and an optional low-res mode, both of which were added on the IQ4.

I agree an option for “auto” that mimics the IQ3 behavior or some other way to select the exact preferences you want would be a good idea. I encourage you to share that request with your Phase One dealer

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Paul: the split screen issue is something we saw on several units early in the IQ4 shipping, and most were resolved by the firmware updates since. The one we saw that was still exhibiting the split screen bug we replaced. Please contact your dealer regarding the fact your back still has this bug.

There are, for sure, quite a few items that are long overdue for improvement. Hopefully we will see an IQ4 feature update soon. It’s the best camera in the world but the handful of remaining rough edges can really sully the experience if they are relevant to your workflow.

narikin

The ability to write to multiple locations was added based on strong customer feedback. In fact I would say it was in the top three requests that digital techs had, along with a longer cable and an optional low-res mode, both of which were added on the IQ4.

I agree an option for “auto” that mimics the IQ3 behavior or some other way to select the exact preferences you want would be a good idea. I encourage you to share that request with your Phase One dealer
If you read my note, I clearly say this might be desirable to some, but it should not be enabled by default with no way to disable it.

Sure, put it in the firmware, but make it a user option they can choose to implement, or not.

At the moment you cannot deselect it. If you have a card in there when tethered, it will write to it. Your only option is to remember to physically remove the card when you plug in a tether cable.

This is poor implementation of a function that could be useful for some, being forced on everyone. If you shoot a mixture of tethered and untethered, you will unexpectedly find yourself with a completely full card, with the only option to format and wipe out anything else on there.

I have opened a support case at Phase. Hopefully others will do the same.

Paul2660

Paul: the split screen issue is something we saw on several units early in the IQ4 shipping, and most were resolved by the firmware updates since. The one we saw that was still exhibiting the split screen bug we replaced. Please contact your dealer regarding the fact your back still has this bug.

There are, for sure, quite a few items that are long overdue for improvement. Hopefully we will see an IQ4 feature update soon. It’s the best camera in the world but the handful of remaining rough edges can really sully the experience if they are relevant to your workflow.
Sadly the answer I received from P1 was “we will fix it with firmware at a later date we thought it was fixed already.”

I find that response an Amazing lack of focus for a photographic device of this price point.

Things have sure changed at P1.

Paul C

narikin

Things have sure changed at P1.
Agreed.

If this unacceptable level of buggy products, with slow to non existent fixes/ firmware updates - then I fear the camera/back division will not survive.

Capture One seems to be thriving though.