The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Value Add Warranty and used backs question

Paul2660

I was informed today, that only a dealer can implement a Value Add warranty request. So if you sell your back, outside of the dealer channel and it still has value add warranty, how is that going to be handled.

There are 5? or so Phase One dealers in the US, but I see nothing in the Value add Warranty statement that states a dealer must honor the warranty after the back has changed hands.

Open question to any US dealer, how do you handle such an issue.

Many times on both eBay and this sites for sale area, you will see mention of the P1 back for sale WITH value add warranty left. So how does a customer who has purchased such a back say with 4.5 years of warranty left, get value add. Is there anything that states the dealer that sold the back originally has to honor the remaining time on the Value add warranty?

Just curious as I would like to know for myself also. I had always assumed that a Value Add Warranty request could be handled either by the end user (via a support case) or the dealer (if the dealer and customer were original seller/purchaser), but I assumed from all the backs that are sold 3rd party still with Value Add Warranty available that the 2nd owner would be contacting P1 directly.

Paul C

f8orbust

Since the warranty is attached to the back, I would assume that even if sold on privately, should an issue appear, the owner would be able to deal directly with a local P1 dealer who would honor all aspects of the warranty (e.g. loaner). At least that's what makes sense to me. It would be really disappointing if the P1 dealer said 'not my problem, you need to get in touch with the P1 dealer that sold it as new'. Should there not be a P1 dealer (lots of countries don't have any), then it would make sense for them to be able to deal with P1 directly (or maybe P1 would then insist they contact the dealer who sold the back as new - though that would be in a different country and language issues and customs duties could ensue).

That said, I've never read the small print of the VA warranty, so who knows what lurks in there.

Jim

P.S. To use the car analogy, if you buy a new car under warranty and sell it privately under warranty, and it subsequently breaks down while under warranty, then the current owner can take it into the local dealer for repair, they don't need to drive it back to the original dealer or deal with the parent company (at least, that's how Nissan works, since that's happened to me). Nissan do have dealers in pretty much every country on the planet, however.

Paul2660

Since no dealer of which many frequent this site has spoken up, I will assume that this is a possible issue of attempting to sell a used back with remaining Value add warranty.

I think a lot of photographers feel that it would be handled as you prescribed in your response however based in my recent experience I feel it may not be that easy.

Paul C

Pemihan

I have bought a few backs privately from other countries. Once I tried to get an issue resolved through the original dealer, but was told that I needed to go to my local dealer, which I did and the issue was handled by them after I set up a support case at Phase One.

On a later occasion (and another back) I simply set up a support case and then the local dealer handled the RMA.

The dealer arranged for loaners in both cases.

Peter

darr

I Googled: "is phase one value added warranty transferable?" and found this regarding the IQ250 and DT:

https://dtculturalheritage.com/phase-one-iq250-11-things-to-know/

8. How much does the Phase One IQ250 cost?
The IQ250 is $35,990 and includes a 5-year Value Added Warranty on all system components purchased together which includes additional accessories and a loaner during any service/repairs during that 5-year period. This warranty is NOT transferable.

Upgrade pricing is available for those who already own a Phase One digital back and competitive trade-ins will be given for those who own a competing digital back.

Looking for the image quality of a digital back, and the rock solid reliability Phase One is known for, but need a lower cost of entry? DT has factory refurbished and certified pre-owned IQ1 and P+ backs. We also has leasing programs to help you own a back, while managing your cashflow. Contact us and we’ll work together to lay out your best options. This is what we do every day!

kdphotography

Hmmm. You would think the warranty would simply follow the serial number on the MFDB, with service/RMA initiated by an authorized dealer.

???

gerald.d

The silence from dealers who are usually all too keen to chip in on the subject of buying used backs is deafening.

If it truly is the case that Phase One warranties are not transferable, then it is a change of policy, and I can absolutely assure you that it will get a huge amount of publicity.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

f8orbust

The DT blurb could be read in a couple of ways ... that said, we're all familiar with the way P1 warranties worked up to this point (attached to the back and transferable between owners), so it doesn't bode well.

If true, it's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It doesn't make sense other than as a desperate and ill conceived attempt to dissuade anyone buying a (recently released) used DB privately.

Maybe the imbecile at P1 who decided to sell the missing IQ4 12-pin sync cable to end users came up with this ?

As Gerald said, the silence from dealers on this one (Steve ? Doug ?) is ... interesting.

Jim

P.S. Anyone who bought an IQ4 recently, do us all a favor and check your warranty small print.

Last edited:

Christopher

So far I have never had warranty problems with used Phase equipment. Warranty was always regarded.

If that ever really changes, it’s time to say good bye.

I still find it super embarrassing, that phase one only gives 1 year warranty on stuff without buying a full set... I could laugh if it wasn’t that sad.

Don Libby

We have at least one dealer that will respond at the drop of a hat to promote his shop however we still haven't heard from anyone who should have first hand experience. Interesting silence

kdphotography

I think I've only had the Value-Added warranty one time---and that's over what, six or seven MFDBs now :rolleyes::loco:

In the very few times I've had issues with a camera or MFDB, I've always been treated by my dealer as if I did have a Value-Added warranty, but it isn't much consolation when trying to sell that Phase One MFDB, despite its otherwise excellent reputation for toughness and reliability-----when you are trying to give a potential buyer confidence in Phase One products and purchase what to most is still a very expensive piece of kit. It doesn't make sense not to transfer the value-added warranty as the primary buyer has already "paid for it." It's not hard to track using the MFDB S/N.

Is there a separate value added warranty for those doing fine art copy work and/or work for museums---- using Phase One's Cultural Heritage package through Digital Transitions? ;):rolleyes:

Is that discreet enough? Usually a mention of the Phase One Cultural Heritage kit gets a quick response from Doug Peterson... :ROTFL:

Ken

Don Libby

I've owned 6-different backs 2 of which were bought new. The remaining 4 were used but bought from my dealer. If memory severs me correctly I had warranty issues on 2-separate backs, one of which needed a trip to the mothership. There wasn't an issue since the backs were bought from a dealer and not a private person.

I think the original question is what happens should you need warranty help on a back that was bought from a private party. Did the warranty on the back transfer to the new owner or is the new owner SOL.

Does the warranty transfer with the back to the new owner regardless of dealer involvement? Paul brings up a valid question which so far has not been answered by any of the reps that are here.

Alan

Greetings, I am the director of an international consortium of antiquities museums. We are in need of a fleet of Hasselblad multi-shot digital backs to document our vast collections. Only Hasselblad backs will suffice as I have been reliably informed that Capture One Cultural Heritage Edition is inferior to Phocus for this work. Also Phase One Value Added Warranties suck. Our benefactor, a Prince who is living in exile has authorized me to forward money orders exceeding all fees for these products.

:grin:
Bat-signal activated

RLB

Greetings, I am the director of an international consortium of antiquities museums. We are in need of a fleet of Hasselblad multi-shot digital backs to document our vast collections. Only Hasselblad backs will suffice as I have been reliably informed that Capture One Cultural Heritage Edition is inferior to Phocus for this work. Also Phase One Value Added Warranties suck. Our benefactor, a Prince who is living in exile has authorized me to forward money orders exceeding all fees for these products.

:grin:
Bat-signal activated

Bat Signal Indeed. Did you use the signal with the big "DT" logo? If not try that...

R

RLB

We recently upgraded via trading in our IQ180 to the IQ4. With this upgrade the 5yr uptime warranty is included...and is stated on our receipt.
Now if we sold the IQ4 prior the warranty expire, would the warranty transfer? Answer: If P1 wants to keep customers happy = yes. They may
charge a nominal fee to do the paperwork, but I think its in P1 best interest to do this. JMHO.

This is a semi-complicated legal issue if P1 would refuse that transfer. There are both federal and state laws that govern warranties, not just what P1 wants.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (Federal Law) as well as other statues and laws by state place specific requirements and limitations on product warranties.
Part of the MM Act states requirements for manufactures and resellers to specifically state in writing what is covered and transferable, and if they do not, then its open to the interpretation of the laws that govern it in whatever location the owner is.

R

Just yesterday I was speaking with Arnab Chatterjee, of Digital Transitions Scientific, while he was at the airport, and learned that much of the staff was on its way to Lisbon for a conference — Archiving 2019: Digitization, Preservation and Access — organized by the Society for Imaging Science and Technology:

https://www.imaging.org/Site/IST/Co...f82&hkey=54bdc838-33f7-4874-aaef-3ccbf6b27461

So the bat signal may not be received immediately, with the crew across the pond . . .

Christopher Campbell

Last edited:

f8orbust

If this was a question about why someone should buy a P1 back over any other, Doug would be copy and pasting his usual list quicker than you can say 'Archiving 2019: Digitization, Preservation and Access' (catchy title, ahem) ... so it's a shame there's been no response yet. If the info on the DT website is outdated or incorrect, it should be removed.

Last edited:

MrSmith

is it a P1 policy to keep as many backs ‘in the loop’ as possible?
the aim being to keep people upgrading backs and the older models are marketed to emerging markets like india and china etc?
it’s not in their interests for there to be an active second hand market in older backs.