The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart TCX-01 EOS Adapter for X1D

fotophil

I use the Canon 17mm, 24mm-II and 50mm EOS TS-E tilt shift manual focus lenses on my X1D. Electronic aperture control of the Canon EOS Lenses requires the use of a smart adapter. My very preliminary testing shows that the Techart TCX-01 Smart Adapter seems to provide reliable aperture control directly through the X1D interface. Although the adapter is supposed to also provide AF function on some Canon EOS AF Lenses, my testing with the Canon 11-24mm AF Zoom was not able to get the AF function to work at all. Since I have no interest in using Canon AF lenses on the X1D the Techart TCX-01Adapter is fine for my application but beware that the AF function may be a problem. The bad news is that the adapter is pretty pricey. Check E-bay - I paid $425 including 2 Day Fed Ex from China. Kipon makes a very good EOS aperture controller for the X1D that sells for around $360 but it uses a stand alone control rather than using the X1D Interface liks the Techart.

k-hawinkler

I use the Canon 17mm, 24mm-II and 50mm EOS TS-E tilt shift manual focus lenses on my X1D. Electronic aperture control of the Canon EOS Lenses requires the use of a smart adapter. My very preliminary testing shows that the Techart TCX-01 Smart Adapter seems to provide reliable aperture control directly through the X1D interface. Although the adapter is supposed to also provide AF function on some Canon EOS AF Lenses, my testing with the Canon 11-24mm AF Zoom was not able to get the AF function to work at all. Since I have no interest in using Canon AF lenses on the X1D the Techart TCX-01Adapter is fine for my application but beware that the AF function may be a problem. The bad news is that the adapter is pretty pricey. Check E-bay - I paid $425 including 2 Day Fed Ex from China. Kipon makes a very good EOS aperture controller for the X1D that sells for around $360 but it uses a stand alone control rather than using the X1D Interface liks the Techart.

Thanks.

msadat

since the x1d is contrast only af, i would imagin poor af, but for aperture control it look better than kipon

fotophil

Kipon makes a nice $350 smart adapter for using the Canon EOS AF Lenses on the GFX Camera but so far Kipon has not done the same for the X1D so currently the Techart at $450 is the only game in town for using Canon EOS AF Lenses on the X1D. Electronic aperture control sure complicates adapter design for both the GFX and X1D.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
AF is slow, but reasonably accurate. It works with my ancient (version 1) 85/1.2, 135/2, and 200/2.8. Magnified live view with focus peaking is handy, too. And, of course, essential with the 24 TS-E II, which is the reason I got the adapter in the first place. The older lenses show OOF CA, but they are extremely sharp when in focus (the 85/1.2 is a bit dreamy wide open, but that's to be expected). Still, if I wanted to use the longer Canon glass, I'd use a Canon body.

Here's the 200/2.8L wide open on the X1D. There is some vignetting.

Matt

DaveS

Hi all,

Just got my X1D ii Saturday, and just got the Techart TCX-01 today. It is upgraded to latest firmware, but it doesn't autofocus, or adjust the aperture.

So basically, manual focus, at full aperture.

Has anyone else tried it out on the model ii X1D? I am trying to figure out if it is defective or needs an update that isn't released yet from Techart.

I already send a note to Techart, but haven't heard back yet, so wanted to check here.

all the best,

Dave

vieri

Reviving an old thread....anyone successful in enabling autofocus with this adapter on their X1D Mark II? Thanks.
Yes indeed, you need to update the adapter to FW 4.0.0 and it will work with the X1D II with those lenses Techart list as supported. I am currently reviewing Canon 16-35mm f/28 III vs f/4 on the X1D II, will publish the article on my blog soon, and while AF doesn't work with the zooms (neither of which is officially supported), aperture does work and focus magnification in MF does work. I contacted Techart a few days ago asking them if they intend to support these lenses, but haven't heard from them yet.

Hope this helps! Best regards,

Vieri

Yes indeed, you need to update the adapter to FW 4.0.0 and it will work with the X1D II with those lenses Techart list as supported. I am currently reviewing Canon 16-35mm f/28 III vs f/4 on the X1D II, will publish the article on my blog soon, and while AF doesn't work with the zooms (neither of which is officially supported), aperture does work and focus magnification in MF does work. I contacted Techart a few days ago asking them if they intend to support these lenses, but haven't heard from them yet.

Hope this helps! Best regards,

Vieri
Thank you Vieri.

I’ve had mixed results with autofocus with the listed lenses. So far, I’ve only tested Canon branded EF lenses, and only found autofocus with the 40/2.8 and 85/1.2L II. I keep a running autofocus compatibility list in the Alternarice Gear section of FM.

vieri

Thank you Vieri.

I’ve had mixed results with autofocus with the listed lenses. So far, I’ve only tested Canon branded EF lenses, and only found autofocus with the 40/2.8 and 85/1.2L II. I keep a running autofocus compatibility list in the Alternarice Gear section of FM.
You are welcome, sorry for not having been of more help and thank you for your work on FM, much appreciated :) still haven't heard back from Techart, probably won't happen given their track record :banghead:

Best regards,

Vieri

anyone

I take this old thread up. I recently got the Techart TCX-01 for use with my 907x CFV100c. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize any lens ("lens initializing" error message), I cannot set the aperture nor focus. Newest firmware is installed. The odd thing is that a friend uses the same combination of adapter/ camera/ back and can focus and set aperture.

Does anyone have experience with this combination?

Thank you!

anyone

so not compatible at this point. Did anyone use this adapter successfully with the CFV50c II?