The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Physical Color Filter with Digital

TheDude

In order to better visualize the effect of a particular color filters for a B&W image, digital offers the advantage of being able to preview/review the image at the camera screen at the exposure stage (either before exposure or even the actual digital negative). Consequently, I tried using my old, physical B&W color filters with my iPhone X. The tricolor filters, #25, #58, #47A, resulted in a B&W image with almost no gray tones. Apparently, "strong" physical B&W color filters do not mesh well with the Bayer filter mosaic of the color sensor. However, my preliminary results suggest that light yellow #8 and light yellow-green #11 (for lightening up dark tropical vegetation) work satisfactory, are not available as digital filters (Camera1), and therefore, could be quite useful for general B&W landscape work. My other camera is a CFV-50c Hasselblad digital back, which, unlike my iPhone app, has no digital color filters.

I wonder what is everyone else’s experiences. Any recommendations or suggestions?

I assume, achromatic (B&W) cameras/sensors like PhaseOne Achromatic, Leica Monochrom, or certain Huawei smartphones shouldn’t have any issues working with any physical B&W color filters.

MN

Last edited:

Fredrick

I do indeed have some files from the D800E shot with a deep red filter. I'll see if I can dig them up.

EDIT: Ok, so I was able to dig up some files. Which one do you think is shot with the Red filter, and which one is not?

Attachments

Last edited:

TheDude

Which one do you think is shot with the Red filter, and which one is not?

The shades and greens are less dense in the top photograph, so I would say no red filter here.

Ansel Adams, quite observant, wrote in The Negative, "some cases, the effect [red filter] in the shadows is more pronounced than in the sky itself ... also absorb green, further increasing the overall contrast in landscapes".

JoelM

Wow, I was going to say the opposite that the red filter was used in the upper one.

:)