The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

Looks like you cannot buy the teleconverter on its own. I even called Hasselblad UK who called Hasselblad Sweden and the only way to get the 1.7 teleconverter is to buy it with a 135mm lens.

Is that not a bit odd? :)

Erik, I don't think it fits any other lens. It protrudes at the 'lens-end'.
It doesn't, but I am not entirely sure how that's relevant.

If you buy the 135mm without the tele converter and later decide that you want to converter you are stuffed. Since there is no stock of the converter I cannot even buy the 135mm lens (which is in stock) as I wouldn't be able to get the converter later.

danlindberg

I agree that sound really odd! But surely you could buy it at a later date if you have bought and registered a 135, since you can buy the lens on its own.

danlindberg

Yep, complete nuts if that is the case. He actually replied imediately, just minutes ago and said that he was unsure, but will get back to me - so I let you know!

drevil

Staff member
well the extender does protrude quite a bit, i guess that is the reason why its not compatible with any other xcd lens, maybe future, longer, lenses will?

well the extender does protrude quite a bit, i guess that is the reason why its not compatible with any other xcd lens, maybe future, longer, lenses will?

The question is not about compatibility with other lenses.

The problem is that if you buy the lens without the converter you cannot buy just the converter at a later date.

AHA

I kept asking Hasselblad via phone/email/twitter and through their dealers and this morning they finally changed their tune!

They will start selling the converter on its own later at some point.

Good thing it took me five attempts before I got the answer I wanted :)

-- edit --

OK just heard back from Wade on the X1D Fan Group and he says it is possible to buy it from the spare parts department somehow. Some legal clause which is preventing them from selling it directly through their online shop or other dealers.

Last edited:

danlindberg

And I recieved a response from my dealer, stating, 'Hasselblad has not made the final decision yet concerning the converter'.

Even whithout any confirmation anywhere I am personally quite confident that it will be possible to get one later....there just got to be a way!

fotophil

Regarding Hasselblad's Policy of not offering the 1.7X convertor as a stand-alone item, it appears that there may be some type of factory "matching of convertors and 135mm lenses to form a matched combination to be sold as a set. Obviously the basis of matching is unknown. Although it might be based on technical characteristics of the devices, it might be to enhance sales of the lens+combo packages. I have not seen a lot of detailed discussion on the 1.7X convertor performance. In the case of Nikon many of the users seem to feel that the 1.7X and 2X are somewhat inferior to the 1.4X convertor. What is the experience on the X1D 1.7X performance?

fotophil

Another potential reason that Hasselblad choose to restrict the sale of the 1.7X Convertor was their concern that folks would purchase the adapter and try to use it on other lenses .Although it is obvious that the adapter will not physically attach to the other lenses I suppose someone would try it and cause damage. It is good news that based on Wade's Comments it sounds the 1.7X Adapter will become available.

hcubell

Regarding Hasselblad's Policy of not offering the 1.7X convertor as a stand-alone item, it appears that there may be some type of factory "matching of convertors and 135mm lenses to form a matched combination to be sold as a set. Obviously the basis of matching is unknown. Although it might be based on technical characteristics of the devices, it might be to enhance sales of the lens+combo packages. I have not seen a lot of detailed discussion on the 1.7X convertor performance. In the case of Nikon many of the users seem to feel that the 1.7X and 2X are somewhat inferior to the 1.4X convertor. What is the experience on the X1D 1.7X performance?
In my experience with the 135mm and the 1.7x TC, I have been amazed at the performance. This is not unexpected if you look over the MTF curves on the Hasselblad website. I have the H series 1.7x TC, and there is no comparison. I think it was brilliant what Hasselblad did in designing a medium telephoto with a 1.7x TC matched expressly for it, giving you both an exceptional 135mm lens and an exceptional 240mm lens in one relatively compact package. I previously posted some photos that I took with and without the TC.

Christopher

In my experience with the 135mm and the 1.7x TC, I have been amazed at the performance. This is not unexpected if you look over the MTF curves on the Hasselblad website. I have the H series 1.7x TC, and there is no comparison. I think it was brilliant what Hasselblad did in designing a medium telephoto with a 1.7x TC matched expressly for it, giving you both an exceptional 135mm lens and an exceptional 240mm lens in one relatively compact package. I previously posted some photos that I took with and without the TC.
I think it shows us, that modern designs like the 135mm + 1.7x TC = 230mm lens and Fujis GF 250mm + 1,4 = 350mm, are just stunning and have nothing to do with older Designs von Hassi, Phase, Nikon or Canon. I can only speak from the GFX perspective, however I'm sure after reading only good things about the 135mm + 1.7x TC combination it's equally good. The performance is nearly identical to not using the TC. I had Images from the GF250 @ 350, which were so good, I thought they were shot without the converter.

Hasselblad decision to not sell the converter alone, makes no sense to me. However, I would have bought them together anyway.

Hasselblad decision to not sell the converter alone, makes no sense to me. However, I would have bought them together anyway.
Me too, but the duo kit is sold out worldwide.

I am getting conflicting information, and right now it looks like it will be a purchase from the spare parts department and I am not sure if that means it will not be available on its own.

Just as long as I can get one :)

flash

The XCD teleconverter also works with the XC>HC adaptor. So that means any HC lens with the adaptor on a X1D can use the TC. I use it with my 210. Works perfectly including AF.

Gordon

hcubell

If anyone is looking for a new XCD 135mm XCD + TC, please send me a PM and I can point you in the right direction. (No, I am NOT selling my own; no way.)

peterm1

The lens combo was in stock at B&H as of yesterday - I picked one up. Initial impressions are that the lens is incredibly sharp edge to edge with beautiful bokeh but focusing is slowwwwww