Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Looks like you cannot buy the teleconverter on its own. I even called Hasselblad UK who called Hasselblad Sweden and the only way to get the 1.7 teleconverter is to buy it with a 135mm lens.

    Is that not a bit odd?

  2. #2
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Erik, I don't think it fits any other lens. It protrudes at the 'lens-end'.
    Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Erik, I don't think it fits any other lens. It protrudes at the 'lens-end'.
    It doesn't, but I am not entirely sure how that's relevant.

    If you buy the 135mm without the tele converter and later decide that you want to converter you are stuffed. Since there is no stock of the converter I cannot even buy the 135mm lens (which is in stock) as I wouldn't be able to get the converter later.

  4. #4
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    I agree that sound really odd! But surely you could buy it at a later date if you have bought and registered a 135, since you can buy the lens on its own.
    Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I agree that sound really odd! But surely you could buy it at a later date if you have bought and registered a 135, since you can buy the lens on its own.
    I called Hasselblad and the answer is no

  6. #6
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    That's just plain stupid!! I'll write an email to my Hassy dealer to see what he says.
    Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    That's just plain stupid!! I'll write an email to my Hassy dealer to see what he says.
    Thanks Dan. It certainly sounds nuts doesn't it!

  8. #8
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Yep, complete nuts if that is the case. He actually replied imediately, just minutes ago and said that he was unsure, but will get back to me - so I let you know!
    Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamburg/Beijing
    Posts
    336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    well the extender does protrude quite a bit, i guess that is the reason why its not compatible with any other xcd lens, maybe future, longer, lenses will?


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    well the extender does protrude quite a bit, i guess that is the reason why its not compatible with any other xcd lens, maybe future, longer, lenses will?

    The question is not about compatibility with other lenses.

    The problem is that if you buy the lens without the converter you cannot buy just the converter at a later date.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    AHA

    I kept asking Hasselblad via phone/email/twitter and through their dealers and this morning they finally changed their tune!

    They will start selling the converter on its own later at some point.

    Good thing it took me five attempts before I got the answer I wanted

    -- edit --

    OK just heard back from Wade on the X1D Fan Group and he says it is possible to buy it from the spare parts department somehow. Some legal clause which is preventing them from selling it directly through their online shop or other dealers.
    Last edited by Erik Lundqvist; 1 Week Ago at 23:56.

  12. #12
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    And I recieved a response from my dealer, stating, 'Hasselblad has not made the final decision yet concerning the converter'.

    Even whithout any confirmation anywhere I am personally quite confident that it will be possible to get one later....there just got to be a way!
    Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Regarding Hasselblad's Policy of not offering the 1.7X convertor as a stand-alone item, it appears that there may be some type of factory "matching of convertors and 135mm lenses to form a matched combination to be sold as a set. Obviously the basis of matching is unknown. Although it might be based on technical characteristics of the devices, it might be to enhance sales of the lens+combo packages. I have not seen a lot of detailed discussion on the 1.7X convertor performance. In the case of Nikon many of the users seem to feel that the 1.7X and 2X are somewhat inferior to the 1.4X convertor. What is the experience on the X1D 1.7X performance?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Another potential reason that Hasselblad choose to restrict the sale of the 1.7X Convertor was their concern that folks would purchase the adapter and try to use it on other lenses .Although it is obvious that the adapter will not physically attach to the other lenses I suppose someone would try it and cause damage. It is good news that based on Wade's Comments it sounds the 1.7X Adapter will become available.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Regarding Hasselblad's Policy of not offering the 1.7X convertor as a stand-alone item, it appears that there may be some type of factory "matching of convertors and 135mm lenses to form a matched combination to be sold as a set. Obviously the basis of matching is unknown. Although it might be based on technical characteristics of the devices, it might be to enhance sales of the lens+combo packages. I have not seen a lot of detailed discussion on the 1.7X convertor performance. In the case of Nikon many of the users seem to feel that the 1.7X and 2X are somewhat inferior to the 1.4X convertor. What is the experience on the X1D 1.7X performance?
    In my experience with the 135mm and the 1.7x TC, I have been amazed at the performance. This is not unexpected if you look over the MTF curves on the Hasselblad website. I have the H series 1.7x TC, and there is no comparison. I think it was brilliant what Hasselblad did in designing a medium telephoto with a 1.7x TC matched expressly for it, giving you both an exceptional 135mm lens and an exceptional 240mm lens in one relatively compact package. I previously posted some photos that I took with and without the TC.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    In my experience with the 135mm and the 1.7x TC, I have been amazed at the performance. This is not unexpected if you look over the MTF curves on the Hasselblad website. I have the H series 1.7x TC, and there is no comparison. I think it was brilliant what Hasselblad did in designing a medium telephoto with a 1.7x TC matched expressly for it, giving you both an exceptional 135mm lens and an exceptional 240mm lens in one relatively compact package. I previously posted some photos that I took with and without the TC.
    I think it shows us, that modern designs like the 135mm + 1.7x TC = 230mm lens and Fujis GF 250mm + 1,4 = 350mm, are just stunning and have nothing to do with older Designs von Hassi, Phase, Nikon or Canon. I can only speak from the GFX perspective, however I'm sure after reading only good things about the 135mm + 1.7x TC combination it's equally good. The performance is nearly identical to not using the TC. I had Images from the GF250 @ 350, which were so good, I thought they were shot without the converter.


    Hasselblad decision to not sell the converter alone, makes no sense to me. However, I would have bought them together anyway.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Hasselblad decision to not sell the converter alone, makes no sense to me. However, I would have bought them together anyway.
    Me too, but the duo kit is sold out worldwide.

    I am getting conflicting information, and right now it looks like it will be a purchase from the spare parts department and I am not sure if that means it will not be available on its own.

    Just as long as I can get one

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Terrigal
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    The XCD teleconverter also works with the XC>HC adaptor. So that means any HC lens with the adaptor on a X1D can use the TC. I use it with my 210. Works perfectly including AF.

    Gordon
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    1,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    If anyone is looking for a new XCD 135mm XCD + TC, please send me a PM and I can point you in the right direction. (No, I am NOT selling my own; no way.)

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XCD135mm and the 1.7 teleconverter conundrum

    The lens combo was in stock at B&H as of yesterday - I picked one up. Initial impressions are that the lens is incredibly sharp edge to edge with beautiful bokeh but focusing is slowwwwww

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •