The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 100

lance100

So it’s finally out. https://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx100/

I already placed an order months ago, can’t wait to get mine. For me especially IBIS will be a game changer.

Most is as expected. Don’t care for the Large format crap, that I was more expecting from a different company ;)
I’m looking at Phase One IQ4. Shooting Tripod so stabilization not important but the larger sensor is. I wish Fuji would have increased sensor size from GFX50. I have this camera and it’s wonderful for street photography.

drevil

Staff member
lance there is the quite believable rumor that phase one added support for the gfx because fuji said they wouldnt enter the mf full frame market, phase one has abandoned the crop sensor market as well.

i think fuji will fully concentrate on the 44x33mm sensor

i still find it funny that fuji has rebranded their camera as large format :facesmack:

msadat

How many shots can you take with this camera or any 100 meg camera before your computer chokes? My guess is you need one of new Intel chip that has 18 cores unlocked with lots of memory and massive ultra-fast SSD, and for me, I hope Adobe does another round of performance improvements with Lightroom. Love the camera, hope some of the features roll down to the next version of the 50s. I happily can not see myself with a 100 meg camera

StevenP

I'm incredibly excited about this camera. Will I get it? Not sure, yet...but it's within reach. How wise that is, remains the questions :)

The VAST majority of what I shoot is vertical, so I'm probably a lot more pleased with the design than most people. My first digital camera was a 1Ds2. Eventually I was shooting a D800, then 810, and now 850. Each of those (plus my D7100 backup) have a vertical grip attached, that never comes off. Obviously, I'm cool with the integrated vertical grip, shape! However, I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't either mimic the main grip or go with something like the vertical grip on the 50s, which seems pretty neat and ergonomic, by letting your hand/arm be a little lower down and closer to your body. I would've bet a whole, shiny nickel that the final design was different than the prototype they showed. I would have lost that shiny nickel.

I would also like either a bigger joystick or D-pad, but that doesn't concern me as much since face/eye detection is an option.

On the much less important question of aesthetics, do I think it's a pretty camera? No...but I do think it looks really cool! Kinda like how I think an AH-64 Apache isn't pretty, but it's awesome looking :) If everyone else calling it ugly, somehow makes the price come down and the body, readily available, feel free to pile on! If y'all think it's possible to "ugly shame" $2K off the MSRP, go right ahead :D

But seriously...

I'm a little uneasy with the 1/125 flash sync and hoped they'd up that a bit.

Those are my nitpicks.

Very excited about everything that relates to image quality. BSI, resolution, IBIS, face/eye detection, AF points everywhere, "speed", and EVF. All exciting and useful stuff! Excited the EVF is compatible with the tilt adapter. That was something that caught my eye early on with the GFX, since I'm 6'4", but I'm always working with people much closer to 5'4" :) It looks like a great camera! Surely I'm not the only non-FujiFilm shooter looking really hard at this camera.

I'll be anxious to read as much as I can about it in the next few weeks and months.

lance100

lance there is the quite believable rumor that phase one added support for the gfx because fuji said they wouldnt enter the mf full frame market, phase one has abandoned the crop sensor market as well.

i think fuji will fully concentrate on the 44x33mm sensor

i still find it funny that fuji has rebranded their camera as large format :facesmack:
Yes...it is a big step for Fuji but still not a Phase One. Of course the $$$ difference is substantial.

regards,

Lancde

Gerd

I think that was a not meant seriously tit-for-tat-response - during the official presentation. Related to the term full frame for 35mm.:)

Greeting Gerd

MrSmith

Thousands.
Exactly, nobody keeps all their raws on a computer (that would be a bit silly)
Processing out a 60/120/240mb tiff is just time and modern processing is efficient and storage is cheap.

I do a lot of retouch work and end up with multi layered files of 5-15gb. Somebody doing a few adjustments and printing isn’t going to have to go and make a cup of tea when they hit return on a sharpen filter like we did in the past.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
How many shots can you take with this camera or any 100 meg camera before your computer chokes? My guess is you need one of new Intel chip that has 18 cores unlocked with lots of memory and massive ultra-fast SSD, and for me, I hope Adobe does another round of performance improvements with Lightroom. Love the camera, hope some of the features roll down to the next version of the 50s. I happily can not see myself with a 100 meg camera
I’ve been using 80mp, then 100mp, now 150mp backs for a long time. Currently I have the 2018 MacBook Pro (6 core version) and have no issues at all with the computer keeping up. This includes 5 to 7 shot stitches all the time. Yeah, it takes a little time (a minute or two sometimes), but so what? Certainly doesn’t choke.

I no longer have a desktop MacPro, just not enough of a performance difference. I use Lightroom quite a bit, but Capture One as well, and Capture One is far better at leveraging all of the cores including the virtual ones (something LR and PS do not do well). But none of the programs are laggy or problematic IQ3 100 files.

There might be many reasons to not invest in a 100mp system and that’s fine. Don’t put everyone else in your box however, some of us prefer it, some of us like the results and some of us really need the resolution.

But the myth of having to have a super power workstation to work on these files is just that, a myth.

msadat

thats good to know, typically how many images you upload at the time into you macbook pro? also do you keep thr raw afterwards? i am trying to understand some timeframes, i am quit impatient

also, how did u get the impression that i am putting everybody in my box?

I’ve been using 80mp, then 100mp, now 150mp backs for a long time. Currently I have the 2018 MacBook Pro (6 core version) and have no issues at all with the computer keeping up. This includes 5 to 7 shot stitches all the time. Yeah, it takes a little time (a minute or two sometimes), but so what? Certainly doesn’t choke.

I no longer have a desktop MacPro, just not enough of a performance difference. I use Lightroom quite a bit, but Capture One as well, and Capture One is far better at leveraging all of the cores including the virtual ones (something LR and PS do not do well). But none of the programs are laggy or problematic IQ3 100 files.

There might be many reasons to not invest in a 100mp system and that’s fine. Don’t put everyone else in your box however, some of us prefer it, some of us like the results and some of us really need the resolution.

But the myth of having to have a super power workstation to work on these files is just that, a myth.

algrove

No problems with the LMF IQ4150 sensor so I do not anticipate issues with SMF 100 sensor images.

Satrycon

https://youtu.be/N3qFPqqaTdQ?t=498

Glad to see they got it right with Panasonic.

As for a pixel shift type solution in the Fuji 2 months ago Fuji was implying it could be done on the GFX100 since it has a Bayer pattern sensor. In one of the slides from months ago Fuji had it listed as a possible future enhancement. So they are thinking about it. Odds are they will wait to see how well sales go. Also Fuji does tend to bring large feature enhancements via firmware to products after launch.

Time will tell.

More interested in seeing raw files once a converter supports them.

Paul C

StevenP

I'm very excited about this camera! Will I buy it? Not sure, yet...but, it's within reach. Whether or not that would be a good decision, is the real question.

I'm a people shooter and the VAST majority of my work is shot vertically, so I'm probably much more pleased with the design than most people. Everything I've owned from my 1Ds2, to my current D850 either had a vertical grip built in or one that went on and never came off! So I'm totally fine with the general decision to make the camera with an integrated grip. I'm not as excited about the actual shape of the grip they chose. I would've bet a whole, shiny nickel that they would have changed the final design from the prototype. I would've lost that nickel. I was hoping that they would either mimic the main grip design or maybe went with something more like vertical grip for the 50s, which seems pretty neat, ergonomically, so you can get your hand a little lower and arm a little closer into your body. I'm disappointed in the final decision, but it's not a "deal breaker" by any stretch.

I also would've liked something like a D-pad or more substantial thumb stick, but the inclusion of face/eye detection will probably alleviate any of those concerns I might have about easily manipulating the AF quickly.

On a much less important question of aesthetics, do I think it's a pretty camera? No...but I do think it looks cool, in the same way that I do not think an AH-64 Apache looks pretty, but it does look awesome! I'm not the least bit concerned that a lot of people think it's ugly. In fact, if you think you can "ugly shame" about $2k off the price and make the body more readily available, go right ahead :D

But seriously, folks...

I'm a little uneasy with the 1/125th flash sync. I wished they would've upped that a little bit.

Those are my nitpicks.

I'm very excited about the resolution, BSI, IBIS, AF points everywhere, face/eye detection, "speed", and EVF. Speaking of EVF, I'm excited to see the tilt adapter is compatible, since I'm 6'4" but work with a lot of people more in the 5'4" range ;) The tilt EVF was one of the first things that got my attention about the original 50s.

All in all, it looks like an incredibly useful, usable camera! Surely I'm not the only non-FujiFilm shooter, looking at this camera. I anxiously await reading all I can in the upcoming days, weeks, and months!

Fredrick

Will more than likely be my next camera when I’m “done” with the D850. However pricing in Norway at the moment is proposterous at $12000. When I’m ready to upgrade in two-three years time it will hopefully be a lot less. Thankfully I can use the lenses I already have with an adapter.

bernardl

I'm a little uneasy with the 1/125th flash sync. I wished they would've upped that a little bit.
Are you aware about the possibility to adapt Hasselblad H leaf shutter lenses on the Fuji for synchro speed up to at least 1/800 if not faster?

Regards,
Bernard

Satrycon

if you have any H lenses:

H MOUNT ADAPTER G

By attaching this adapter to the FUJIFILM GFX 50S, a total of 9 SUPER EBC FUJINON HC interchangeable lenses and 1 teleconverter developed for the GX645AF can be used. While the focusing method will be limited to manual focusing, the lens aperture can be changed using the command dial on the camera body, and shooting with the lens shutter built in to the lenses is also possible. Using this lens shutter will allow high speed flash synchronization up to a maximum speed of 1/800 sec.
Also, the adapter is equipped with electrical contacts that can communicate with the camera body, independently creating, saving, and applying correctional data for each lens. The adapter supports Manual and Aperture Priority AE exposure modes.
A removable tripod seat is included in order to prevent blurring when using a massive zoom lens on a tripod and to secure a good weight balance.

Compatibility
FUJIFILM GFX100 / GFX 50S / GFX 50R

vjbelle

The 'H' lenses don't perform well...... for sure nowhere near the same class on the Fuji as native Fuji lenses.

Victor

Paul2660

Other question is how well the Live View works at 100%, hopefully not as it does on the 50 series cameras, but I don't hold out much hope as Fuji has never really figured out a good way to show a 100% view, even on the X series cameras, when compared to other brands.

Comparing the 50 series at 100% View to a Phase One back at 100% (before the IQ4) or any DSLR, the images on the Fuji are not as sharp as if the camera has gone past 100%.

The need for sharp, tack, images at 100% Live View has always been an issue with the 50R and S. And it's an issue for playback also, at least for me. The images are never as crisp and sharp unless you shrink the screen down below what the camera is saying is 100%.

Paul C

Very excited about the GFX100S, but I don't think this is the camera for me. Hopefully, I will manage to bide my time here and see what Fuji (and Hasselblad) does next. I'd be much more interested in a GFX50S Mark 2 right now.