The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 100

gerald.d

Other question is how well the Live View works at 100%, hopefully not as it does on the 50 series cameras, but I don't hold out much hope as Fuji has never really figured out a good way to show a 100% view, even on the X series cameras, when compared to other brands.

Comparing the 50 series at 100% View to a Phase One back at 100% (before the IQ4) or any DSLR, the images on the Fuji are not as sharp as if the camera has gone past 100%.

The need for sharp, tack, images at 100% Live View has always been an issue with the 50R and S. And it's an issue for playback also, at least for me. The images are never as crisp and sharp unless you shrink the screen down below what the camera is saying is 100%.

Paul C
Not sure whether you watched the launch video? The zoomed live view looked pretty impressive to me. 24x zoom IIRC.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

Not sure whether you watched the launch video? The zoomed live view looked pretty impressive to me. 24x zoom IIRC.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
No, I started it, but it got jerky due to my connection, I will go back and take a look. Glad to see they have addressed this.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

No, I started it, but it got jerky due to my connection, I will go back and take a look. Glad to see they have addressed this.

Paul

I'm most eager to see the 5.76 million dot EVF. While I don't love the look of EVF's, I do love the ability to manually focus fast lenses with my eye to the viewfinder via the magnification. Regardless of how large they are and how nice OVF's look, I've missed out on focus too many times, and having a magnified view to my eye is power.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Satrycon

at 5.76MP its probably the same one as the Panasonic S1R and rumored Leica SL2
the 4.4 MP SL EVf was apparently also made by the same company..Epson Ultramicron Series

I'm most eager to see the 5.76 million dot EVF. While I don't love the look of EVF's, I do love the ability to manually focus fast lenses with my eye to the viewfinder via the magnification. Regardless of how large they are and how nice OVF's look, I've missed out on focus too many times, and having a magnified view to my eye is power.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Satrycon

found high Rez JPGs from a detailed review:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ygcgkjivqlokqob/AAASELHgID9zvCPnpAO17oLda?dl=0

Glad to see they got it right with Panasonic.

As for a pixel shift type solution in the Fuji 2 months ago Fuji was implying it could be done on the GFX100 since it has a Bayer pattern sensor. In one of the slides from months ago Fuji had it listed as a possible future enhancement. So they are thinking about it. Odds are they will wait to see how well sales go. Also Fuji does tend to bring large feature enhancements via firmware to products after launch.

Time will tell.

More interested in seeing raw files once a converter supports them.

Paul C

onasj

Thank you for the link these files; they were very informative. My first-pass takes are:

- The Fuji GFX100 is overall outstanding, and image quality is excellent as expected.
- High ISO images (2000 is quite good-- maybe a bit noisier than what I'm used to for the IQ4.
- Low ISO (400, 200) have a surprising (to me at least) amount of noise. So much so that I did a comparison with recent photos from my IQ4:

GFX100, in-focus and out-of-focus region at ISO 400, 100% size:
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 7.01.06 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 7.00.00 AM.jpg

IQ4, out-of-focus sky at ISO 400, 100% size:
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 6.58.39 AM.jpg

IQ4, in-focus region at ISO 400, 100% size:
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 6.58.21 AM.jpg

Of course, it's possible that post-processing differences (over-sharpening of the Fuji images, which seems evident to me by examining the in-focus areas) account for the disparity. But still, I was surprised by the amount of ISO 200-400 noise given that these images appear to be official photos—some have GFX logos reflected in eyeballs, and they have that "I AM AN OFFICIAL TEST PHOTO" look. Also, the image compression of GetDPI's image attachments makes all four of the above images look worse than they do when opened on my computer.

- ISO 100 images on the GFX100 have very low noise.

iiiNelson

lance there is the quite believable rumor that phase one added support for the gfx because fuji said they wouldnt enter the mf full frame market, phase one has abandoned the crop sensor market as well.

i think fuji will fully concentrate on the 44x33mm sensor

i still find it funny that fuji has rebranded their camera as large format :facesmack:
The large format is likely on account of the video capability where anything of FF sensor size (35mm terms) or larger is considered LF video.

Satrycon

in the GFX, in camera film simulation on the jpegs adds grain to the "look"..even if grain is switched off

at 300% zoom

View attachment 141762

but of course those sample pics may have been processed another way

Thank you for the link these files; they were very informative. My first-pass takes are:

- The Fuji GFX100 is overall outstanding, and image quality is excellent as expected.
- High ISO images (2000 is quite good-- maybe a bit noisier than what I'm used to for the IQ4.
- Low ISO (400, 200) have a surprising (to me at least) amount of noise. So much so that I did a comparison with recent photos from my IQ4:

View attachment 141758

View attachment 141759

IQ4, out-of-focus sky at ISO 400, 100% size:
View attachment 141760

IQ4, in-focus region at ISO 400, 100% size:
View attachment 141761

Of course, it's possible that post-processing differences (over-sharpening of the Fuji images, which seems evident to me by examining the in-focus areas) account for the disparity. But still, I was surprised by the amount of ISO 200-400 noise given that these images appear to be official photos—some have GFX logos reflected in eyeballs, and they have that "I AM AN OFFICIAL TEST PHOTO" look. Also, the image compression of GetDPI's image attachments makes all four of the above images look worse than they do when opened on my computer.

- ISO 100 images on the GFX100 have very low noise.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member

ALPA will show soon results during CineGear 2019 in Los Angeles .

Despite of all the specifications of the FUJI GFX 100 what does that camera (body) mean for ALPA users ? ? ?
Technical Camera users know , that the production of copal shutters have come to an end .
ALPA has therefore launched all current available lenses either with Rodenstock Electromechanic Shutter or the newest launch , shutterless . These shutterless lenses can be used by attaching them to the FPS module . That is my understanding so far .
But what has that to do with the FUJI GFX 100 ?

The GFX 100 has a focal plane shutter , just like the FPS module .
But it can also act as a 100MP digital back . So my idea is , that the GFX 100 could also act as an FPS module with a digital back in just one body . All that body would need , is an adapter to attach it to the ALPA CAMERA body . Possibly in the size of SB17 . That in turn would mean , that all SB17 lenses
could be used . Shutterless or with copal shutter . Does that make sense ? ? ?

StevenP

About the Jonas Rask full size files, he states,

"I don’t shoot brickwalls. I’m not a reviewer, I’m a photographer. Thats why I don’t do SOOC comparisons etc. You can probably find those elsewhere. Samples are jpegs that I have made minor adjustments to using Adobe Lightroom CC or Capture One. Since its latest update Lightroom support the RAF files, but while I had the camera it didn’t. So all the files are jpegs rendered by the camera. This is how I chose to use the camera, and it might differ somewhat from what you plan on using it for. I tried to test it in various settings, really pushing its capabilities."

Some people may have missed that. Some of the grain could be from the way Fuji does their jpegs (I am not familiar with that) or it could be Jonas deciding he'd rather do things like he does. I do not know...just throwing that out there. Some people are probably seeing those files without seeing them on his blog where he states that.

algrove

jotloob

I use an Alpa with shutterless S-K 90/4.5 lens and now an IQ4150. FPS is not necessary as I use ES for all exposures even with my Copal lenses.

As for Fuji they also have ES or at least the GFX 50 series cameras do.

marc aurel

ALPA will show soon results during CineGear 2019 in Los Angeles .

Despite of all the specifications of the FUJI GFX 100 what does that camera (body) mean for ALPA users ? ? ?
Technical Camera users know , that the production of copal shutters have come to an end .
ALPA has therefore launched all current available lenses either with Rodenstock Electromechanic Shutter or the newest launch , shutterless . These shutterless lenses can be used by attaching them to the FPS module . That is my understanding so far .
But what has that to do with the FUJI GFX 100 ?

The GFX 100 has a focal plane shutter , just like the FPS module .
But it can also act as a 100MP digital back . So my idea is , that the GFX 100 could also act as an FPS module with a digital back in just one body . All that body would need , is an adapter to attach it to the ALPA CAMERA body . Possibly in the size of SB17 . That in turn would mean , that all SB17 lenses
could be used . Shutterless or with copal shutter . Does that make sense ? ? ?
My guess:
an adapter with shift capabilites in only one axis that can be rotated (similar to the shift concept of Canons TS-E lenses).
Alpas XY camera has shift capabilities in x and y-axis. The X in XO could stand for the X-Axis, the O for rotation. I see a kind of lever in the teaser image, and a segment of a circle in the lower right corner.
Just a guess. But if that's true it would be interesting if there will be any electronic connection from lens shutter to the camera - and what lenses can be attached.

Regards - Marc

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While I realize NOBODY reads Diglloyd s stuff due to his wild conclusions . He does perform excellent tests and supplies all the detail you could ask for in evidence . While much of his complaints may not be relevant to specific photographers ....he sometimes finds a GEM that can save lots of experiments .

His tests of the Fuji GFX system using Zeiss lenses Milvus and Otus show that the adapted lenses DO NOT perform well on the GFX . Since the same Zeiss lenses perform well as adapted into the L system ....he concludes that the sensor design (probably the sensor glass) is not a good match . I know when Zeiss makes lenses in native mounts they include the sensor glass in the lens formula and fine tune the lens to the intended mount .

I have no idea if this theory has been proven correct or incorrect ..but I would want to know before getting a kit of Zeiss OTUS lenses for intended use on a GFX body .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
jotloob

I use an Alpa with shutterless S-K 90/4.5 lens and now an IQ4150. FPS is not necessary as I use ES for all exposures even with my Copal lenses.

As for Fuji they also have ES or at least the GFX 50 series cameras do.

I thought of those photographers who don't own or can not afford a 50/100/150 MP digital back with
ES but have the 100MP GFX on top of their wishlist .
Also I think , that ES still is not the perfect solution for digital backs .
Therefore to have a focal plane shutter and an ES in the GFX 100 is a great advantage .
I am impatiently waiting to see what ALPA pulls out of the hat .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
While I realize NOBODY reads Diglloyd s stuff due to his wild conclusions . He does perform excellent tests and supplies all the detail you could ask for in evidence . While much of his complaints may not be relevant to specific photographers ....he sometimes finds a GEM that can save lots of experiments .

His tests of the Fuji GFX system using Zeiss lenses Milvus and Otus show that the adapted lenses DO NOT perform well on the GFX . Since the same Zeiss lenses perform well as adapted into the L system ....he concludes that the sensor design (probably the sensor glass) is not a good match . I know when Zeiss makes lenses in native mounts they include the sensor glass in the lens formula and fine tune the lens to the intended mount .

I have no idea if this theory has been proven correct or incorrect ..but I would want to know before getting a kit of Zeiss OTUS lenses for intended use on a GFX body .
Roger

Thanks for your post . Can you please supply a link ? ? ?