The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 100

Ed Hurst

I would be very interested indeed to see test shots illustrating the high ISO noise and DR performance of this camera. My 645Z does extremely well for astro shots, but if the noise were better on this body (or even just as good at a pixel level, making it better at any given print size, given the higher resolution), that would be most interesting.

I guess I will have to wait to find such a test!

algrove

I use Mamiya 645 adapted lenses on my 50R with great results (I use C1) even on their fisheye which is REALLY wide. I do not know why this lens works so well, but it does on the 50MP sensor. If I end up with a Fuji 100MP some day it will be one of the first "adapted" lenses I will try.

As for all the back and forth about DL, IMHO he dislikes Leica bodies and mostly Leica lenses with few exceptions, very much likes Zeiss glass ever since they invited him to Germany to their factory along with Ming Thein and on occasion dismisses comments made by blog readers, but selectively publishes those favoring his opinions. Perhaps those with differing opinions don't want their comments published where he could rip you another---you know what. With all of the above I take his comments like a grain of salt even though some of his click-bait analysis seems interesting.

As for analysis I prefer Sean Reid over DL, but with a warning that some of SR's analysis can be boring even though complete and he uses older non-mainstream lenses for his Leica tests. SR has done extensive analysis on Fuji 50MP bodies and most of their lenses making $50/year a minor expense in my annual photo budget (which my wife says I don't budget at all). Thinking back she's probably right.

Another site I respect is Jim Kasson's blog where he has published over 100 articles regarding rhe Fuji 50. He often talks way over my head, but I still very much enjoy reading the articles I understand. I like how Jim's comment section allows one to read all comments made about a specific article without editing out comments contrary to his position or opinions.

algrove

Wow looks like a terrific application of the new 100MP 33x44 sensor . Since its not available yet ..no way to determine how adapted lenses will perform .. Its quite different from the 50MP sensor .
Agree. I believe the biggest benefit besides IBIS is the BSI sensor. I use a BSI sensor in the IQ4150 and I can appreciate the benefits of this BSI from the "old" IQ3100 non-BSI when procesing images in C1.

JK12

Would the IBIS mechanism be under strain to keep the sensor parallel if it were pointed downwards constantly, like say on a copystand?

JK12

why would you switch on IBIS if the camera is mounted to a stand ?
Satrycon,
So are you saying that if IBIS is deactivated then the unit itself has no “play”? But also say they do add pixel-shift which requires the IBIS and the camera is on a copystand?

gerald.d

Satrycon,
So are you saying that if IBIS is deactivated then the unit itself has no “play”? But also say they do add pixel-shift which requires the IBIS and the camera is on a copystand?
For a moment I was confused and thought I was in a Panasonic S1(R) thread.

There is - to the best of my knowledge - no “pixel shift” feature on the GFX100.

FWIW, on the Panasonics, when you activate High Resolution mode (pixel shift), IBIS is disabled with regards its ability to counter movement of the camera, and devoted to the necessary pixel shifting functionality to quadruple the resolution of the image taken.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

JK12

SO- does the IBIS mechanism hold the sensor parallel or would it sag or be strained if pointed downward for extended periods of time? Thanks you guys.

algrove

SO- does the IBIS mechanism hold the sensor parallel or would it sag or be strained if pointed downward for extended periods of time? Thanks you guys.
Don't know, BUT if you are on a tripod it probably should be disabled since it seems it was included for hand held work.
Found a video satrycon listed which at one point shows how you use IBIS and/or OIS.

https://youtu.be/bCIDiPx_sto

Last edited:

Paul2660

Probably works similar to any other IBIS system on the market.

Never had any problems pointing the Z7 or X-H1 down.

This will be Fuji’s 2nd IBIS design implementation.

Paul C

Satrycon

its a surreal question...

anyways, based on my XH-1 street experiences, i never keep IBIS on continuous, but on "shooting only", saves a lot of battery life too. i think of it like keeping continuous AF on and the lens has a mind of its own wherever one points the camera or if its dangling around while walking...so i never keep IBIS on continuous

drevil

Staff member
I would be very interested indeed to see test shots illustrating the high ISO noise and DR performance of this camera. My 645Z does extremely well for astro shots, but if the noise were better on this body (or even just as good at a pixel level, making it better at any given print size, given the higher resolution), that would be most interesting.

I guess I will have to wait to find such a test!
fuji said the iso performance will be better than the gfx50s sensor, no wonder, its MUCH newer sensor technology.
it should be similar to the noise performance of the phase one ix? camera, which uses the same sensor.

algrove

drevil

Just to be clear when you said "uses the same sensor"referring to the GFX100, I assume you were referring to the new BSI technonlogy not sensor size.

gerald.d

drevil

Just to be clear when you said "uses the same sensor"referring to the GFX100, I assume you were referring to the new BSI technonlogy not sensor size.
Phase One’s iXM-100 aerial camera uses a BSI 43.9x32.9mm, 11664x8750 resolution sensor.

Whether or not it is the same sensor as the Fuji I have no idea (very small differences in resolution).

Kind regards,

Gerald.

algrove

Phase One’s iXM-100 aerial camera uses a BSI 43.9x32.9mm, 11664x8750 resolution sensor.

Whether or not it is the same sensor as the Fuji I have no idea (very small differences in resolution).

Kind regards,

Gerald.
So then it is possible for a small upgrade on a 50MP Fuji especially with it having BSI. Wonder if it has PDAF?

Rand47

I’m going to guess that the IBIS in the GFX100 will function much like my X-H1. That being the case, even when IBIS is turned off, it is still “powered up” when the camera is turned on - which positions the sensor accurately, and “holds it in place,” even though it won’t be moving to stabilize the image. Eg., you can’t clean the sensor with the camera turned off because the sensor will “move around.” So, you power up the camera but turn the IBIS off so that the sensor is “held still in place” for cleaning.

So, I suspect the answer to the orientation question is that with the camera on, it doesn’t matter which way the camera is pointed, re up, down, straight-down, etc., because the sensor is being “held in place” using it’s suspension system even if IBIS is not active. Hope that makes sense.

Rand