The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the newfuji 100 meg vs the new leica s

msadat

this time, i think Leica is in trouble with the s system (i have one), or they need a severe price adjustment on the new one

iiiNelson

this time, i think Leica is in trouble with the s system (i have one), or they need a severe price adjustment on the new one
I doubt it. Those committed to Leica will likely continue to do so. Those that don’t like EVF’s or prefer OVF’s will likely choose Leica (or Hasselblad/Phase One). Personally I’d choose Fuji but I don’t think every Leica S shooter will look at the Fuji with “grass is greener” eyes.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
For my personal use, the only advantage of the 100MP Fuji over a 64MP Leica is the IBIS for magnified manual focusing. They are similar weights and sizes. I have not, of course, picked up the Fuji, but if it is like a heavier version of their 50MP model, then I have no interest in it at all.

The X1D, at half the size and weight, is more useful to *me* in every way. If size and weight were not issues, then a 64MP S would be my first choice. (Haven't played with the 150MP XF because the S is already on the large and heavy side, so no point.)

In case it is not explicit, put *for me* after every sentence. I do not presume to speak for other users, nor for companies. Really, not one among us has any idea what a company *must* to do to survive. I wish people would speak for themselves and not project their desires on Leica, Fuji, Sony, Phase One, or Hasselblad.

Having said all that, here is my very strong personal opinion about the S3. Leica will not release it until it performs at least as well as, and hopefully better than, the S(007). If it can not, they won't release it. There is, therefore, no time frame, no schedule, and speculation on its release date is fruitless.

Matt

bernardl

The Leica is a better looking camera, but that's pretty much the only thing I can think of where it is ahead.

Some swear by the Leica S lenses, but what I have seen the much more recent Fuji glass is equal or superior at a fraction of the price (obviously without the shutter lenses that may be important to some).

For now adapted H glass will do a fine job at managing the cases where a fast synchro speed is needed on the Fuji. The 100mm f2.2 H is compact and very good from 2.8 onwards.

But more than that, when you compare the speed at which Fuji moves vs Leica, the gap that is already large today can only continue to increase.

Cheers,
Bernard

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It is extremely difficult to evaluate lens performance today . Better sensors allow lenses to show more fine detail . Differences in sensor design (cover thickness) are a part of the lens formula ..so using the same lens on two different cameras only shows how the lens performs with that specific camera . Algorithms are built into firmware and utilized by post processing software to correct for distortion and aberrations . This makes it really hard to compare one lens to another ..factor in that one test is close up and another at infinity

Field curvature to a landscape photographer is bad ...to a portrait/fashion photographer is normal . Lenses are designed for specific applications ....the 120Macro verse the 100 portrait lens .

And lets not get into those “subjective areas “ like bokeh ,color purity , color transmission and how they affect the overall aesthetic produced .

I have the full set of Leica S lenses and they are to my eye the very best “full set “ of lenses ever made . It seems fashionable to make statements regarding “How over rated the Uber expensive Leica lenses are “ .... Not from my perspective .

The advantages of the Fuji 100 are many ....newer high performance sensor ,IBIS, new AF etc . And of course cost ..but its not the lenses that are better .

fotografz

Would love to shoot a job with this Fuji camera. Love to shoot a job with any new Leica S also.

However, the practicality of it all is I already have all I need in MFD performance with my S(006) and set of CS leaf-shutter lenses. Like a stubborn dinosaur who refused to die from the comet crash, I prefer the CCD sensor and S optics over everything I've tried or owned.

Part of that preference is steeped in the reality of all the support stuff that grows up around any working system you have fined tuned to your needs. I shudder at the prospect of rebuilding that for want of a new system.

My next addition will be what-ever Sony introduces to replace the A7R-III which acts as my color body in the Leica M Monochrome bag.