The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The next Phase One body and the Fuji GFX100

onasj

To estimate how large I can print a given file in inches, I simply divide the length of the image (in pixels) by 300 dpi (for a superb-quality image that withstands up-close scrutiny, assuming the image is up to snuff), or by 200 dpi (for a very good quality image that only discerning pixel peepers up close will be able to distinguish from a 300 dpi image).

The long dimension of the Phase One IQ4 image is about 14,200 pixels
= 47" @ 300 dpi
= 71" @ 200 dpi

The long dimension of the Fuji GFX100 image is about 11,600 pixels
= 39" @ 300 dpi
= 58" @ 200 dpi

So both the IQ4 and the GFX100 will support prints in the 5-foot-wide range, though you get more wiggle room and crop potential with the IQ4 of course. If you want to be an absolute stickler for 300 dpi printed resolution, then the IQ4 enables up to about 4-foot prints, while the GFX100 enables up to about 3-foot prints.

Considering that P1 still has a lot of issues left to fix on the IQ4, most of them have been there since day 1, I would rather they focus on that before anything else.

Hi and thank you for posting this...

I have been looking at the Phase one IQ4 with the mono and color backs...Now the GFX100 comes along albeit and smaller sensor..and way less $$$

If I am interested in prints to 5 feet...Is Phase One still the darling or will this new Fuji close the gap even though they kept sensor the same size as the GFX50? I was out with a Photographer shooting the other day and we discussed Phase One mono back..he said its great advertising but converting to black and white is just as good..

My concern is the issues you mentioned...and any comments you have regarding photo resolution I would be appreciative.

Lance

lance100

To estimate how large I can print a given file in inches, I simply divide the length of the image (in pixels) by 300 dpi (for a superb-quality image that withstands up-close scrutiny, assuming the image is up to snuff), or by 200 dpi (for a very good quality image that only discerning pixel peepers up close will be able to distinguish from a 300 dpi image).

The long dimension of the Phase One IQ4 image is about 14,200 pixels
= 47" @ 300 dpi
= 71" @ 200 dpi

The long dimension of the Fuji GFX100 image is about 11,600 pixels
= 39" @ 300 dpi
= 58" @ 200 dpi

So both the IQ4 and the GFX100 will support prints in the 5-foot-wide range, though you get more wiggle room and crop potential with the IQ4 of course. If you want to be an absolute stickler for 300 dpi printed resolution, then the IQ4 enables up to about 4-foot prints, while the GFX100 enables up to about 3-foot prints.

Wow..wonderful.

Thank you for your assistance!
Lance

RLB

I'm intrigued to see who will actually buy the Fuji system. Its too pricey for the vast majority of non pros and from my evaluation not a rounded enough system for most pros. We all know how important every aspect of a system is; body, lenses, software, support. Sure P1 is far more pricey compared to the Fuji, with the depth of the system comes a price to match. JMHO.

Rob

algrove

Its too pricey for the vast majority of non pros and from my evaluation not a rounded enough system for most pros. Rob
Just curious what specifically in your "evaluation" makes the Fuji GFX system not "a rounded enough system for most pros"? I am not an expert so would like to know this for my future reference. Thanks.

drevil

Staff member
Just curious what specifically in your "evaluation" makes the Fuji GFX system not "a rounded enough system for most pros"? I am not an expert so would like to know this for my future reference. Thanks.
exactly al, you may not be an expert, but he thinks he is one.

we have many "experts" these days who are blessed with the ultimate knowledge.

i think, yes the 10k is quite high, but you DO get a lot of innovations for it that you never had before in any MF system.

i will surely upgrade to it from my 50s(just not immediately), which i love, and i am not afraid of a bigger body, actually i like big and heavy cameras.

just remember, dont feed the trolls, oh boy i just did

RLB

exactly al, you may not be an expert, but he thinks he is one.

we have many "experts" these days who are blessed with the ultimate knowledge.

i think, yes the 10k is quite high, but you DO get a lot of innovations for it that you never had before in any MF system.

i will surely upgrade to it from my 50s(just not immediately), which i love, and i am not afraid of a bigger body, actually i like big and heavy cameras.

just remember, dont feed the trolls, oh boy i just did

Mr. Devil, I don't believe we've crossed paths before, but FYI I have over 35 years of professional photo experience, I'm sorry I didn't catch your back ground only your snipe comments and assumptions. If your are a fan boy of Fuji, I have no issue with that and certainly the camera will have its place, I personally do not believe it will be adopted by many full time pro shooters. That's my opinion, not yours, just mine. And if you are looking for big heavy camera that you claim to love, I'd suggest going straight to a 20x24 Polaroid camera, as I they are quite large and heavy.

RLB

Software, lens options, support, down time loaner, etc, etc, etc. I'm confident that it will find a niche where those issues are less relevant, but I don't think it will become a good fit for most full time pros. My opinion as a working pro for 35 years.

algrove

Software, lens options, support, down time loaner, etc, etc, etc. I'm confident that it will find a niche where those issues are less relevant, but I don't think it will become a good fit for most full time pros. My opinion as a working pro for 35 years.
Thanks. Appreciate your valued comments. BTW which MF camera system is the best fit for working pros these days.

f8orbust

You could have 5 GFXs for the price of an IQ4 and XF, so down time loaner would never be an issue.

C1 will support the GFX so software isn't a deal breaker.

There are 12 lenses for the XF, 8 for the GFX - hardly night and day.

Support - IF you work with a good P1 dealer, then P1 has the edge for sure. But that's a big 'if'.

RLB

Thanks. Appreciate your valued comments. BTW which MF camera system is the best fit for working pros these days.
The answer is highly dependent on what type of work is being done. If you are talking "true" medium format, that would be by definition a sensor size of 53mmx40mm (Approx).
In comparison the GFX has a sensor that is 33mmx43mm, larger than full frame 35mm smaller than medium format. Sensor size is only one factor in decision making.

In my opinion, and for the type of work I do, the Phase system is the only option. Within Phase the IQ4 or IQ3 are viable options. We upgraded to the IQ4. It's a fabulous DB, but like everyone else we are waiting for firmware upgrades that should be out by now. For "economy" the IQ3100 or Tricho are great options but won't offer the capabilities of the IQ4 with its back lit sensor, higher resolution, ethernet, raw file by wifi transfer and much more. Do you need those things? Maybe not.

Compared to Phase what other options are there that have comparable comprehensive software, hardware and support ? Who are the players in true medium format today? Phase and Hasseblad. While H has some great lenses they lack in software and DB technology. Does everyone need the level of file and support Phase offers? No. It's what worked for us and why we chose it and have not regretted it over the past 20 years of shooting with Phase backs.

R

RLB

You could have 5 GFXs for the price of an IQ4 and XF, so down time loaner would never be an issue.

Support - IF you work with a good P1 dealer, then P1 has the edge for sure. But that's a big 'if'.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I think the choice should based on what works for you; the type of work you do and your budget. For us it was the IQ4. For others it may be the Fuji. They are in my opinion very different systems and don't bode well in direct comparison.

R

Steve Hendrix

If you work with a good P1 dealer who is also a good Fuji dealer, then support comparisons are much closer!

;)

Part of why someone would purchase a Fuji would be that they cannot afford or do not wish to afford a Phase One camera system that costs much more, so down time loaner can be an issue, because in that case they may not spend that extra money on multiple backup bodies either.

However, Fuji does offer a 3 year extension + service pack that includes repair discounts, repair loaners, etc.

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/fps/pdf/GFX-FPS_HighRes.pdf

Even if someone chooses to not purchase an extended warranty, we (Capture Integration) offer repair rate rentals (typically 50% off the normal rental rate) for any camera or digital back sold by CI in the event it has to go in for an extended period of time for repair.

Phase One has always been focused on the very high end of photographic solutions, and that continues today with the IQ4 150. They also have provided, along with their top dealers, excellent service and support options, and they continue to do so.

Whether a Fuji GFX 100S (or a Phase One IQ3 100 or IQ4 150, for that matter) is a good solution for Pros is ultimately a matter of whether the solution produces what they require in the way that they need to effectively create it. Phase One has a great service/support track record of almost 30 years. It is early in the game for Fuji GFX service/support, and they have some proving to do, but they seem to be putting the right pieces in the right places so that service/support is not a reason for a "Pro" to not select a Fuji system.

Steve Hendrix/CI

RLB

Phase One has a great service/support track record of almost 30 years. It is early in the game for Fuji GFX service/support, and they have some proving to do, but they seem to be putting the right pieces in the right places so that service/support is not a reason for a "Pro" to not select a Fuji system.
Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve sums this up nicely, as a working Pro, I place my trust in 30 years of proven track record of support. "Seems to be in putting the right pieces in the right place", and a yet unreleased camera don't add up to proven reputation, they only equal speculation. Not to mention C1 vs Fuji's software offerings.

Some may be fine without the support Phase offers, some may not. While the cost of the Fuji is less, so is the sum total of it parts at this point in time. Which again may work for you or not, but it is in my opinion a vast stretch to compare a $10,000. camera that's not yet released with $40,000. + camera that has a proven track record. I wish Fuji all the best as healthy competition is good for the consumer.

algrove

Not to mention C1 vs Fuji's software offerings.
Perhaps you not aware that C1 supports all Fuji cameras including the GFX 50R/S. Also you must remember when Fuji offered MF cameras in the last 30 years. So it seems they have been a MF player for many years when film 120/220 was used.

To me the IQ4150 does not yet have a proven track record since the last FW update was what 6 weeks ago to finally get a timer for the ES, etc. Somewhat lame for a $47k DB.

RLB

Perhaps you not aware that C1 supports all Fuji cameras including the GFX 50R/S. Also you must remember when Fuji offered MF cameras in the last 30 years. So it seems they have been a MF player for many years when film 120/220 was used.

To me the IQ4150 does not yet have a proven track record since the last FW update was what 6 weeks ago to finally get a timer for the ES, etc. Somewhat lame for a $47k DB.
Fuji has a long track record in Medium format; FILM cameras, not digital ones. Phase has a 30 year record exclusively in medium format Digital.

How much longer C1 will support Fuji remains to be seen, they could eventually be excommunicated as Hassy was.

It appears what some are seeking is a $10k camera from Fuji with all the quality and accouterments the Phase system offers at far less. I wish you luck.

And you mention the IQ4 as "lame". Do you own one? Have you even tested one?

R

Steve Hendrix

Fuji has a long track record in Medium format; FILM cameras, not digital ones. Phase has a 30 year record exclusively in medium format Digital.

How much longer C1 will support Fuji remains to be seen, they could eventually be excommunicated as Hassy was.

It appears what some are seeking is a $10k camera from Fuji with all the quality and accouterments the Phase system offers at far less. I wish you luck.

And you mention the IQ4 as "lame". Do you own one? Have you even tested one?

R

Phase One never offered Capture One support for Hasselblad. And from what I saw last year at the announcement for Fuji support, this has the look of a long term cooperation. I think Phase One would have thought long and hard before going in the direction they did.

Steve Hendrix/CI

algrove

And you mention the IQ4 as "lame". Do you own one? Have you even tested one? R
Yes and yes. I have had P1 DB's ever since my P45+ I used with Hasselblad V cameras and lately including an IQ3100 and an IQ3100 Achromatic.

Wouldn't it be funny if Fuji actually put some equity money into Phase.

RLB

Phase One never offered Capture One support for Hasselblad. And from what I saw last year at the announcement for Fuji support, this has the look of a long term cooperation. I think Phase One would have thought long and hard before going in the direction they did.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Things can change, but speculation never does. Time will tell...

RLB

Yes and yes. I have had P1 DB's ever since my P45+ I used with Hasselblad V cameras and lately including an IQ3100 and an IQ3100 Achromatic.

Wouldn't it be funny if Fuji actually put some equity money into Phase.

Thus far I've been extremely impressed by what the IQ4 can do since we acquired it in December. It's a major upgrade in every way from our IQ180. Sure I'd hope like everyone else that the firmware upgrades were coming faster, and for some users this has been (obviously) more of as issue than others depending on needs. I truly wish Fuji the best with their system, but for us P1 is the best solution at this time and the foreseeable future.