The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The next Phase One body and the Fuji GFX100

PeterA

Fuji has a long track record in Medium format; FILM cameras, not digital ones. Phase has a 30 year record exclusively in medium format Digital.

How much longer C1 will support Fuji remains to be seen, they could eventually be excommunicated as Hassy was.

It appears what some are seeking is a $10k camera from Fuji with all the quality and accouterments the Phase system offers at far less. I wish you luck.

And you mention the IQ4 as "lame". Do you own one? Have you even tested one?

R
No luck involved in my thinking - don't know where you get the idea that anyone considering a Fuji higher megapixel camera needs 'luck' on their side....

gerald.d

The answer is highly dependent on what type of work is being done. If you are talking "true" medium format, that would be by definition a sensor size of 53mmx40mm (Approx).
In comparison the GFX has a sensor that is 33mmx43mm, larger than full frame 35mm smaller than medium format. Sensor size is only one factor in decision making.

In my opinion, and for the type of work I do, the Phase system is the only option. Within Phase the IQ4 or IQ3 are viable options. We upgraded to the IQ4. It's a fabulous DB, but like everyone else we are waiting for firmware upgrades that should be out by now. For "economy" the IQ3100 or Tricho are great options but won't offer the capabilities of the IQ4 with its back lit sensor, higher resolution, ethernet, raw file by wifi transfer and much more. Do you need those things? Maybe not.

R
I find this quite interesting. The implication in the rhetorical question is that you do.

So I guess my question is this -

As a working pro, how have you survived for 35 years without them?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Christopher

Re: The next Phase One body and the Fuji GFX100i

@RLB it’s great your happy with your IQ4 back. It’s a great one. However, it’s also the most disappointing Phase One product launch ever. The firmware is still lacking lots of stuff and this after 7 months now.

The Fuji will be an amazing tool to work with and offer a few things impossible before in MF. I don’t think Fuji needs any luck, their lenses are fantastic (can’t say that for all Phase One lenses...) and with C1 as a software they have that side covered as well.

And you do know you can actually use to different systems at the same time. ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I'll say is as an IQ3100/GFX50s shooter, Will I upgrade to an IQ4150? ... TBD. Will I upgrade to the GFX100? Yup. No brainer for me since I've divested myself of basically all smaller DSLR systems, although I still have an impressive XF/Phase One lens kit that I never use and aren't worth selling.

So for me, the GFX100 is an "AND" vs an OR solution. i'll keep the GFX50s whatever (love it) and the lenses are basically superb (Ignore Digilloyd's BS). The Phase One back works wonderfully on my Cambo system and at the end of the day it'll continue to be my ultimate camera.

IQ4150? Unless I get a great bonus, I'll continue to hold off until it's finished, and then buy used like my IQ3100! :thumbs:

RLB

I find this quite interesting. The implication in the rhetorical question is that you do.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Great question. We all have survived by finding work-a-rounds. Pre 2000 I was still shooting film 2.25, 4x5, 8x10, so I lived within the limitations of that. After that, medium format and scan backs, again working within their limitations. The issue for us now is the IQ4 offers some very unique "tools" that can make our business more productive such as allowing us far longer tethering with Ethernet, focus peaking, far better shifting with the Tech camera, higher resolution, better low light sensitivity, etc, etc. In our work environment those features allow us to work more effectively and efficiently. Time is money, especially in large volume projects where saving time becomes critical.

RLB

All I'll say is as an IQ3100/GFX50s shooter, Will I upgrade to an IQ4150? ... TBD. Will I upgrade to the GFX100? Yup. No brainer for me since I've divested myself of basically all smaller DSLR systems, although I still have an impressive XF/Phase One lens kit that I never use and aren't worth selling.

So for me, the GFX100 is an "AND" vs an OR solution. i'll keep the GFX50s whatever (love it) and the lenses are basically superb (Ignore Digilloyd's BS). The Phase One back works wonderfully on my Cambo system and at the end of the day it'll continue to be my ultimate camera.

IQ4150? Unless I get a great bonus, I'll continue to hold off until it's finished, and then buy used like my IQ3100! :thumbs:

Exactly my point, everyone has a different working scenario and therefore requirements from their gear. What may have near zero negative effect for one shooter may not work at all for another.

R

RLB

Re: The next Phase One body and the Fuji GFX100i

@RLB it’s great your happy with your IQ4 back. It’s a great one. However, it’s also the most disappointing Phase One product launch ever. The firmware is still lacking lots of stuff and this after 7 months now.

The Fuji will be an amazing tool to work with and offer a few things impossible before in MF. I don’t think Fuji needs any luck, their lenses are fantastic (can’t say that for all Phase One lenses...) and with C1 as a software they have that side covered as well.

And you do know you can actually use to different systems at the same time. ;)
Chris, I agree with everything your stating. My wishing Fuji the best was not intended as sarcasm, my hope is that it will be a good option for many, but I doubt it will be for us. Having invested in the IQ4, I agree 100% that the lack of firmware updates is inexcusable.

One thing I'd be concerned about if I were Fuji is C1's ability to excommunicate compatibility of specific products. Not that they would, but they could, of course pending any written agreements. Fuji of course could develop more sophisticated software of their own, but that's time consuming and expensive.

We have 4 cameras that we use the IQ4 on, its very easy to swap them as they all use the same flat adaptor plate. Versatility with out a myriad of adaptors and their limitations is also a plus for us.

Christopher

I am really not worried about C1 and Fuji. They just opened it up and honestly phase one doesn’t desperately needs the money, but I’m really sure it’s a welcome benefits!

kdphotography

Thats true! A huge asteroid could hit our planet tomorrow. Ultimately, nothing is guaranteed.

Steve Hendrix/CI

You only live once. Steve could be right about that asteroid. And so says your signature block--- Remember: Adventure before Dementia!

Get on the list and order that IQ4 now. :thumbup:

msadat

is phase one is a private or public company? i wonder how their balance sheet is? it will be a welcome addition to the sony family!! it will survive and thirve

I am really not worried about C1 and Fuji. They just opened it up and honestly phase one doesn’t desperately needs the money, but I’m really sure it’s a welcome benefits!

drunkenspyder

Just returned from shooting early this morning. I took my Phase/IQ4/40-80 and my Hassy X1D/21. Can fit everything into a Pelican 1535, and if need be, transfer the ICUs to a Shimoda backpack, though everything this morning was out of the back of my car. Both are wonderful tools, each a delight to use. Do I want to see a new Hassy? You bet! Do I want Phase to improve the firmware? Of course.

But none of that changes how much I enjoy using them right now. And that's all that matters to me.

drunkenspyder

Kind regards,
Gerald.
But Gerald, you could say that about almost any technological improvement in any industry or avocation! "How have you survived without . . ." robotic surgery, in-car GPS, smartphones, pressure-profiled espresso machines [that one especially :eek: ]? Technology changes the bar. I recently started printing on Fujiflex/Dibond. Done properly, it is stunning. How did I survive without it? Well, it wasn't readily available before. But now that at least one customer has seen it, that's how she wants it printed. Same with Eye AF at a wedding I would think.

The question isn't "how did you survive without it for 35 years?". The past and future are always different landscapes. The question for anyone making the investment decision today is: "Can I get a positive ROI on it going forward?".

Last edited:

vjbelle

Thus far I've been extremely impressed by what the IQ4 can do since we acquired it in December. It's a major upgrade in every way from our IQ180. Sure I'd hope like everyone else that the firmware upgrades were coming faster, and for some users this has been (obviously) more of as issue than others depending on needs. I truly wish Fuji the best with their system, but for us P1 is the best solution at this time and the foreseeable future.
Can't imagine it wouldn't be..... The 3100 was a major upgrade from the IQ180 and at this stage of the game should be substantially less expensive to move up to vs the 4150. I would venture to say that there were substantially more upgrades to the 3100 than there are moving from the 3100 to 4150. As for whether the 4150 is a good business decision vs the upcoming GFX100 is a decision only you and your accountant can answer, but I think there are some compelling posts from working pros regarding the upcoming GFX100 that make the case for a sound business purchase.

Victor

RLB

Can't imagine it wouldn't be..... The 3100 was a major upgrade from the IQ180 and at this stage of the game should be substantially less expensive to move up to vs the 4150. I would venture to say that there were substantially more upgrades to the 3100 than there are moving from the 3100 to 4150. As for whether the 4150 is a good business decision vs the upcoming GFX100 is a decision only you and your accountant can answer, but I think there are some compelling posts from working pros regarding the upcoming GFX100 that make the case for a sound business purchase.

Victor
For us it would require purchasing new lenses, camera bodies, etc. as at the time we have 4 bodies any IQ will attach to with ease and the same flat plate: XF, Rm3di, Factum, M.
Also all of our Arca lenses are R mounted so everything is interchangeable except for XF which has its own Schneider lenses.

PLEASE don't let me stop anyone from putting down their cash deposit on the Fuji! Pretty sure Steve's phone lines are open and ready for your CC number now...:ROTFL:

Steve Hendrix

PLEASE don't let me stop anyone from putting down their cash deposit on the Fuji! Pretty sure Steve's phone lines are open and ready for your CC number now...:ROTFL:

And the same goes for those whom the IQ4 is a better choice as well!

Steve Hendrix/CI